has anyone dove the jetty's at cape dissappointment?

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Re: has anyone dove the jetty's at cape dissappointment?

Post by -Aaron- »

May 7th, this Friday may have a window of diving for the Oregon coast. Going to head out of Newport....
I have room for one more experienced diver.
AB219,

I sent you a PM with my contact information, I am interested coming along on the dive this Friday. Drop me a line if that space is still open :).

"no excuses", "mrs. no excuses", "ORDiver", and I tried to do a dive at Cape Lookout today, but the seas were a bit too rough, so we ended up diving on the Jetty instead. Was a beautiful day on the coast, but pretty murky underwater. I was really impressed with the density of life on the jetty though, those boulders are so thick with anemones it almost reminded me of the Skookumchuck Narrows in Canada. Would be a fun dive to do again on a bit clearer day.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

-Aaron- wrote:
May 7th, this Friday may have a window of diving for the Oregon coast. Going to head out of Newport....
AB219,

I sent you a PM with my contact information, I am interested coming along on the dive this Friday. Drop me a line if that space is still open :).

"no excuses", "mrs. no excuses", "ORDiver", and I tried to do a dive at Cape Lookout today, but the seas were a bit too rough, so we ended up diving on the Jetty instead. Was a beautiful day on the coast, but pretty murky underwater. I was really impressed with the density of life on the jetty though, those boulders are so thick with anemones it almost reminded me of the Skookumchuck Narrows in Canada. Would be a fun dive to do again on a bit clearer day.
Hey Aaron. Had a good time diving with you today. The Barview Jetty is a much better dive on a day with better vis and less current. Those boulders are much nicer looking when you have a chance to see them before being driven into them by the current. That trip over the bar was fun too. :smt119
AB219
Aquaphile

Post by AB219 »

-Aaron- wrote:
AB219,

Your on..... Now about the "Fried Chicken" your bringing!!!! :clap: :clap:

Forecast for Friday looks really calm... bring 3 scuba tanks. :roll:
Let's Go Diving at:
A) Oregon coast
B) Fort Bragg California
C) Monterey California
D) Puget Sound Washington

"It's not about the dive, but the journey taken."
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

AB219 wrote:
I am hoping that it holds through Sunday, I have to work Friday and have a class for work on Sat :ballandchain: :crybaby: .
AB219
Aquaphile

Post by AB219 »

no excuses wrote:
AB219 wrote:
I am hoping that it holds through Sunday, I have to work Friday and have a class for work on Sat :ballandchain: :crybaby: .

Sunday looks better then Friday... Friday the wind will be blowing hard at the coast, might have to postpone this trip.
I might be doing a shore dive on Friday,maybe Saturday if it is blowing too hard for a boat ride. If anyone would like to try a shore dive, you are more then welcome to join me.
Let's Go Diving at:
A) Oregon coast
B) Fort Bragg California
C) Monterey California

-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

We ended up going out on Saturday and had a fantastic day. The weather was amazing, blue skies, and a pretty mellow ocean. Underwater the sea life was thick and the visibility was long. We has 20 to 30 foot visibility all day, and with the bright skies it made for some great diving. When you are checking out walls at 80 feet in Oregon and you don't need to use your dive light you know you hit it on a special day :)

A big thanks goes out to AB219 and his dive buddy for taking me out. AB219 has a totally tricked out fully custom dive boat with all the amenities and safety equipment you could hope for and a healthy collection of informative and instructional labels placed throughout the boat :P. His buddy knows the offshore Oregon coast like the back of his hand and was able to drop us down right on top of some great out of the way locations.

Thanks again AB219 for bringing me along, it was great meeting you guys and I had some amazing dives. When I get a little time later I'm going to do a write up in the dive reports forum on the variety of sea life we encountered, need to do a little book research first :).
AB219
Aquaphile

Post by AB219 »

-Aaron- wrote:We ended up going out on Saturday and had a fantastic day. The weather was amazing, blue skies, and a pretty mellow ocean. Underwater the sea life was thick and the visibility was long. We has 20 to 30 foot visibility all day, and with the bright skies it made for some great diving. When you are checking out walls at 80 feet in Oregon and you don't need to use your dive light you know you hit it on a special day :)

A big thanks goes out to AB219 and his dive buddy for taking me out. AB219 has a totally tricked out fully custom dive boat with all the amenities and safety equipment you could hope for and a healthy collection of informative and instructional labels placed throughout the boat :P. His buddy knows the offshore Oregon coast like the back of his hand and was able to drop us down right on top of some great out of the way locations.

Thanks again AB219 for bringing me along, it was great meeting you guys and I had some amazing dives. When I get a little time later I'm going to do a write up in the dive reports forum on the variety of sea life we encountered, need to do a little book research first :).

It was great meeting and diving with you Aaron...... that was two great dives. More to come on the Oregon Coast.
Hope you can make the next trip to Newport or Cape Lookout.

gl
Let's Go Diving at:
A) Oregon coast
B) Fort Bragg California
C) Monterey California

ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Sounds like you guys had fun. What site did you dive?
AB219
Aquaphile

Post by AB219 »

ORDiver wrote:Sounds like you guys had fun. What site did you dive?

Out of Newport Oregon ... the "N Pinnacle"area.
Let's Go Diving at:
A) Oregon coast
B) Fort Bragg California
C) Monterey California

LittleGoat
Frequent Bubbler

Post by LittleGoat »

I need to get some more experience diving so I can join you guys...
I am not a capricorn... I am a Seagoat.
AB219
Aquaphile

Post by AB219 »

LittleGoat wrote:I need to get some more experience diving so I can join you guys...

Sure..... Let's do a shore dive at the Barview Jetty.

gl
Let's Go Diving at:
A) Oregon coast
B) Fort Bragg California
C) Monterey California