New Member Intro

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
Aquanomad
Getting To Know Folks

New Member Intro

Post by Aquanomad »

Hi All,
I stumbled upon this site recently and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Ian. I live in Waldport and am a pretty avid diver. I am a sub-tidal commercial clam harvester and scientific dive intern at the Oregon Coast Aquarium. I'm a NAUI MD, 1st aid/cpr/aed/o2 provider, American Academy of Underwater Sciences scientific diver, and TDI CCR Mod 1 trained. I dive open circuit as well as an Evolution CCR. I have been building up a 14' Stabi Craft (like a Zodiac but all Aluminum) for the past year or so and it's nearly complete. I'll post some pics soon. I shoot quite a bit of video out here and my suit rarely has time to dry. I know quite a few local divers in Newport and we dive the fingers often. I also dive offshore at Johnson Rock and The Pinnacles with the aquarium husbandry department collecting octos, fish, and living rock for the exhibits. I enjoy spear fishing and crabbing as well as doing REEF surveys. My favorite thing right now is strapping on a 40 and cruising in the prop wash of my x scooter so if there are any other DPV divers out here lets get together!
I'm down to find new dive buddies , especially those who are willing to brave the rugged Oregon waters. I'm always into a Hood Canal, Puget Sound, or San Juan trip but am mainly focussed on exploring the Oregon coast right now.
For all those Valley folks, feel free to PM me if you want a vis/condition report. I'll happily serve up a local assessment.
Hope to meet many of you soon.
Later,
Ian Chun
aquanomad@yahoo.com
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: New Member Intro

Post by spatman »

welcome ian!

it's great to have another oregon diver on the forum, especially with such a knowledge of the coast. please keep us updated on your diving and when you may be headed north to the pugetropolis as well.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

Welcome to the Oregon side of NWDC lol,whats the viz been like lately. Been thinking of heading out to do a lil diving later this week and was wondering how the coast viz has been.Marine forcast for Northen Oregon coast

Fri
S wind 5 to 10 kt. Wind waves 1 foot. W swell 3 ft.

pretty much same report all week

stan
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Welcome Ian. Always nice to hear from a coastie diver. I've only done a couple of dives out in Garibaldi but have enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to spending a bit more time diving the north coast this summer.
AB219
Aquaphile

Post by AB219 »

Welcome Ian... Hope to dive with you soon!!! ;)
Let's Go Diving at:
A) Oregon coast
B) Fort Bragg California
C) Monterey California
D) Puget Sound Washington

"It's not about the dive, but the journey taken."
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Welcome to out "Nut and Fruit Bowl" Ian. :bounceline: :bounceline:
Charles
Leithius
Just Settling In

Post by Leithius »

Hey Ian, nice to see someone who likes the OR coast as much as we do. It needs to be explored and and it sounds like you are just the guy to do it. I'm down for some fingers, pinnacles dives this summer. Could drag a few guys down with me too.
60% of the time it works, every time...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Leithius wrote:Could drag a few guys down with me too.
speaking figuratively, of course. not literally, i hope. :geek:
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

Welcome! We're thinking of dives for the Oregon coast soon, maybe with some guys from our local shop. I have no idea when but it would be great to have some local talent join us and show us around. I was actually raised in the Oregon coast range and have been up just across the Washington line for about 10 years now.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Aquanomad
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Aquanomad »

Hi All,
Thanks for the warm welcome and check out my new thread "Oregon Coast Dive Reports" for updates on my dive adventures and condition reports. I will most likely be posting multiple times per week so if you have anything to add please do it on this "New Member Intro" thread or email me to keep the Report thread clean and easy to read through. Thanks everyone and lets go diving!
jimlbw
Getting To Know Folks

Post by jimlbw »

WOOOhoo, Awesome. I'm from Waldport. welcome to the beach. :bye: