Lake Dives around Portland/Vancouver

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Lake Dives around Portland/Vancouver

Post by spatman »

Gooch wrote:In would say the viz was about 8ft (?)...it got worse deeper at around 40ft. We only went to about that depth just because we weren't seeing much deeper and the light was going away a lot. The line was fun to trace along. The rock structures and old growth logs were pretty cool but there wasn't a lot else. The camp host was telling me about some other interesting sounding things to dive in the lake so I'm trying to get a little info from him about what all might be there.
that's pretty,much the same viz and depths we had when we were there last. i wonder how much better it'll get in the fall.

let us know what other info you find out about what there to check out.
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

Dove Merwin today with Flyin' V. The dives were about what I expected--not a lot of stuff to see but the old growth logs and stumps get me everytime. The rock ledges are cool too. Saw 1 expired Tiger Muskee, lots of little gunnel-like fish and tons of clam shells in the shallows. Oh yea- one little weird legged creature- looked like a beetle kinda but with longer legs and apparently, aquatic.

2 Questions for our fish pros:

1: What are the little gunnel looking fish in Merwin? I tried to unsuccessfully look them up.
2: I actually have seen the clams before but today I thought about them more. Are they common in lakes around here? Do folks catch them for eating?

Water temp was about 46F at ~35'- quite a bit warmer in the shallows. Viz was worse than I have usually seen, but maybe 10-12 feet or so?

The main thing about Merwin is that it's close (for Vancouver/PDX folks) and it has at least some stuff to look at. We wanted to check out the dock area a bit for lost items but it was pretty busy. It's a good idea to bring a dive flag here--lots of boat traffic
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

Gooch did some nice line maintenance on out dive at Merwin today.

Cleaned off the crud as far out as we made it -- I would sure like to add a section to the line at the start of the dive.
Featureless mud and sticks/logs makes it hard to determine how close/far we are from the entry spot.

There are some nice big logs once you get going down the line -- the scenery is at least somewhat interesting.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com