Zodiacs and the Oregon Coast

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Zodiacs and the Oregon Coast

Post by ORDiver »

At some point I would like to get a Zodiac for exploring the many coves and rock structures off the Oregon Coast, especially the north coast. I was wondering what type of Zodiac is suitble for both crossing the local bars (In good weather) and also possibly beach launches like Cannon Beach, Paciic City etc. Would the standard 14' Zodiac work for this? Also, do you need a tender to stay in the craft while there are divers in the water or are there places where you could anchor, leave the vessel, dive and return. Any info from you folks who have dove the coast this way would be nice.
Of course I am talking about diving in fair weather. Obviously open ocean diving down here in inclimate weather is not recommended. I am thinking of sites like Cape Lookout, Haystack Rock (Pacific City), The Pinnacles, Three Arch Rocks (Spring, Fall) and Gull, Otter Rocks off Depoe Bay. There are also a bunch of small coves and rock formations up by Manzanita and Cannon Beach that look accesible with a little work from local beaches. All info would be greatly appreciated.
Scott G
Aquaphile

Re: Zodiacs and the Oregon Coast

Post by Scott G »

Hello,

I have a 14' zodiac. its great. I rarely make bar crossings though, mostly beach launches. I never have a tender, no real necessity for the dives i do. Get a really good anchor and start/ end there. I use a bruce that could probably keep a tug boat in place :)... those little danforths seem brave to me.

If its calm enough to dive somewhere, you can probably anchor there too.

also, i'm down South and have never dove up North.

I also have a 17' Montauk and two kayaks, but usually end up in the zodiac.

Scott
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

my buddy was talking about a live boat with two underwater and two on top in the boat; then switch

I think my 15.5' with a 40hp would be kinda heavy to carry across a beach
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

I have been diving both out of a 14.5' sillinger and my 17.5' avon and much prefer the bigger boat. For the longer boat rides its a lot smoother and more comfortable, plus the extra power and speed is nice if you need it. Used to launch the silinger of the beach at Pacific city and have also launched out of there with a 18' infalatable, not much difference to launch as both were on trailers. I prefer to have a live boat, I anchor it and then have them come get me if needed. I have never had a anchor pull ( I use a 11# bruce anchor and 6' of 3/8" chain and 12' of 5/16"chain) but would not like it if I came up and the boat was gone :violent1:, could make for a long swim so I always have a someone in the boat. Two up and two down is a good way to go while diving with 4. Takes me about 45min from Garibaldi to cape lookout of easy cruising, from the bar to the point its just at 18 miles. Hope that helps out, stan..
echinoderminator
Frequent Bubbler

Post by echinoderminator »

Scott G wrote:Hello,

I have a 14' zodiac. its great. I rarely make bar crossings though, mostly beach launches. I never have a tender, no real necessity for the dives i do. Get a really good anchor and start/ end there. I use a bruce that could probably keep a tug boat in place :)... those little danforths seem brave to me.

If its calm enough to dive somewhere, you can probably anchor there too.

also, i'm down South and have never dove up North.

I also have a 17' Montauk and two kayaks, but usually end up in the zodiac.

Scott
Hi Scott - do you ever freedive for red abalone or spearfishing? I dove alot of humboldt and del norte this way with excellent results. I remember a spot north of brookings I dorve down a seriously rustic dirt road to get there and I just saw the sights but thought "wow, this could be great abalone and rock scallop diving."
John
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Thanks for the info. As soon as I get some home projects done and some other non-scuba things paid off I'm going to start looking for a 14'. The bigger ones are nice but a little out of my price range unless I found a great deal.
Anyone have any ocean trips planned before the end of summer?
Scott G
Aquaphile

Post by Scott G »

echinoderminator wrote: Hi Scott - do you ever freedive for red abalone or spearfishing? I dove alot of humboldt and del norte this way with excellent results. I remember a spot north of brookings I dorve down a seriously rustic dirt road to get there and I just saw the sights but thought "wow, this could be great abalone and rock scallop diving."
John
Yeah, I used to do quite a bit of free diving, but mostly just did long surface swims and/or hikes into locations. By the time i am on a boat i usually would rather have a tank, since then i don't have to carry it anywhere... plus getting into UW photography, i found SCUBA to be better here, given how rough it often is, and how still the camera wants to be.

Scott
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

ORDiver wrote:Thanks for the info. As soon as I get some home projects done and some other non-scuba things paid off I'm going to start looking for a 14'. The bigger ones are nice but a little out of my price range unless I found a great deal.
I have a trip planned for the weekend of Sept25-27, with a buddy but there should be room for more if interested. I am game to go most Fridays, some Sat. if the weather and ocean conditions say its ok. Although can always go and hit the bays also if the sea gets a lil dicey. This wekend and next are out but maybe we can set something up. stan
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

no excuses wrote:
ORDiver wrote:Thanks for the info. As soon as I get some home projects done and some other non-scuba things paid off I'm going to start looking for a 14'. The bigger ones are nice but a little out of my price range unless I found a great deal.
I have a trip planned for the weekend of Sept25-27, with a buddy but there should be room for more if interested. I am game to go most Fridays, some Sat. if the weather and ocean conditions say its ok. Although can always go and hit the bays also if the sea gets a lil dicey. This wekend and next are out but maybe we can set something up. stan
I wish I could go that weekend but it's my girlfriends birthday and we'll be out of town. What about the weekend after that or the next one? I've got a buddy that would probably be up for it if you'd like to do the two in two out thing.
bob
Avid Diver

Post by bob »

:mgmmbeer: Ihave a 24' beachraft with a big deck ! would love to take a party out some where :supz:
give me a call we'll get something worked out!!!!!
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

ORDiver wrote:
no excuses wrote:
I wish I could go that weekend but it's my girlfriends birthday and we'll be out of town. What about the weekend after that or the next one? I've got a buddy that would probably be up for it if you'd like to do the two in two out thing.
Sounds like a plan, will let u know on which weekend before long. I will check with my GF and find out what works best and when we will have her daughter. We really need to have a club dive down this way :supz: .

stan