Newport or Florence or ???

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
Randar35
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Newport or Florence or ???

Post by Randar35 »

:breakdance: Native Oregonion looking for someone to Dive with. I have not done much cold water diving and am looking for someone who has. Am willing to drive/buy Lunch & Fills for someone willing to give me some tips/pointers on a Saturday/Sundays in Sept/Oct.

Live in Eugene, but am willing to meet anywhere!

Thanks in advance,

~R~
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Re: Newport or Florence or ???

Post by -Aaron- »

Hey Randar,

Welcome to the boards :).

I am in Corvallis. My buddy and I dive in Washington a fair amount, but I do take day trips to the Oregon Coast fairly regularly. Mostly I dive in Newport because of the proximity, but I've been up to Netarts a few times and dove Florence a few years back. I am heading off for a trip to the Channel Islands tonight, but when I get back I'm sure we can work out a weekend for some Oregon diving :). I'll send you a private message with my email and contact information, drop me a line and we can coordinate.
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

my buddy and I have been dry too long and will be back in the water in the next couple weeks. We live in eugene and dive the 2 hour circle from eugene.

I'll try to post and maybe we can hook up...meet...show you a spot
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Hello Randar, I'm in Portland and head up to the sound or out to Tillamook fairly often. I'd be interested in trying Newport or Florence sometime too. I'll be diving more around the end of October when the weekends are a bit more free. We'll have to get a dive or two in.
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

Ordiver if you ever have a trip planned for Tillamook I would like to go on one.

I am interested in diving there but really would like to have a guide on exactly where to get into the water and when to get into the water. As I noticed from the Newport dive last month with 7Cs the Oregon Coast has some strong currents :)

Perhaps a NW club dive for Portland/Vancouver people as I know there are a few around here interested in the Oregon Coast diving.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Actually the weekend of 10/24-10/25 the tides are perfect for Tillamook, especially Saturday 10/24. Very minimal exchange that day. Good diving from about 8am all the way till 4pm. If the weather doesn't get too bad by then I'd be up to head out there. If the wind kicks up the swells and surge would get out of hand.
South Beach Scuba
Getting To Know Folks

Post by South Beach Scuba »

South Beach Scuba is planning a fun dive at the Newport Jetty (fingers) on October 24th at around 3:00 pm. There is about a 3.6 exchange, so everyone should be able to get in a couple of dives.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

That sounds good too but how about a 9am splash, dive the low slack (I don't know? You can dive the fingers at low slack right?) and then also catch the flood which is only a 2.5' exchange between about 10am and 3pm. If you wanted you could easily get in 3 dives and us Portland folks could be home by 6pm. How does that sound? :smt038

Heres a link to the tide plot for the day:

http://www.co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/data_men ... =View+Plot
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

I would be glad to go get wet, Tillamook, Neterts, or Newport would be fine by me as long as work allows. Prefer North end but would go to Newport.

stan
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Hey Stan. Let's do it. We'll keep an eye on the weather out at the coast. If it's not too windy (big swells) on the 24th let's hit Newport. I'd be happy to carpool down with you. I can fit us in my truck easily. If no one else wants to head down to Newport I'd be happy to do Tillamook or Netarts too. Maybe we can get some other Oregon folks together :grouphug: . I think this deserves it's own post.