NEWPORT - 10/24/09!

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

NEWPORT - 10/24/09!

Post by ORDiver »

CALLING OREGON DIVERS :naka: and puget sound divers if you would like to get away from your marine wonderland.
The tides are pretty much perfect from 8am till 4pm. This doesn't happen too often out there. I was wondering who's in for a dive at The Fingers. I know no excuses is up for it and I was wondering if anyone else is. South Beach Scuba is also planning a fun dive that day. I was thinking about splashing 9-10am for the first dive and then one or two more after that. Maybe someone could bring out a BBQ. Let's keep an eye on the weather and the ocean and see if we can get together.

Here's the awesome tide plot for the day:

http://www.co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/data_men ... =View+Plot
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: NEWPORT - 10/24/09!

Post by spatman »

if i wasn't on my way back from diving up in BC that day, i would definitely be there...
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Buhler?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

give it some time. most of these oregon divers need to fire up the steam boiler in order power their generators, allowing them to check their email. happens about once a week, usually when they've rendered enough ling cod oil from their spearfishing catches to restart the kindling under the boiler.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I'm not sure of my schedule but as soon as I get home, I'll take a look. If I'm free, I'll be there. Still haven't dove the Oregon coast and I'd really like to.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

Thinking about it. I will have to see. I'm out of ling cod, so's my boiler is a gittin slow. Gonna have to stoke up with old socks or sumpin.
Doug :biggrin:
If only I had Gills
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

I know, I know. My cod oil is gettin low too. Makes the fire burn low. Don't mean to be too impatient. Lookin forward to diving with No Excuses and Doug and WylerBear if they can make it. Still hoping for replies from Gooch, Flyin V, Nice Diver, Narcosis Junkie, Sparky and........well anyone else who wants to go!
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

You sure south beach scuba was planning a fun dive, I didn't see anything on their website?
Doug
If only I had Gills
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

I don't know. They put up a post about it in this thread: http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9673 but they haven't said anything about it since. I was hoping they might post again here but maybe they decided against it. Hmmmm. I'd also be happy to do a Tillamook or Netarts dive that weekend instead if there's more interest in that. Hopefully the weather on the coast will cooperate. If it's bad out there that weekend I'm heading for the sound somewhere.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

ORDiver wrote:I'd also be happy to do a Tillamook or Netarts dive that weekend instead if there's more interest in that. Hopefully the weather on the coast will cooperate. If it's bad out there that weekend I'm heading for the sound somewhere.
\:D/ :supz: Looking good for me so far, hoping work will not screw it up for me. :stickwhack:
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Hey Stan. So far it looks like it's just us. Still want to do Newport or somewhere farther north?
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

ORDiver wrote:Hey Stan. So far it looks like it's just us. Still want to do Newport or somewhere farther north?
If it keeps on raining (it looks like it is) I woud suggest North, even the Hood Canal. Vis. is going to probably suck around here except maybe Netarts or offshore and its looking rough out there through Friday with a 14 swell predicted right now.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

14Ft. swells are no good. By "farther north" I was thinking about Tillamook Bay, maybe under the old coast guard dock or Three Graces if Barview / Coast Guard Tower are rough but I'd be happy to dive Hood Canal too. I have to be in Seattle for a charter at 9am the next morning so the farther north on Saturday the better. I'd still be willing to go to Newport if there were any interest in it though. Whattaya think Stan? How about planning on say...Octo Hole unless, for some strange reason, alot of people come out wanting to dive the coast in the next week :dontknow: . I'm happy with the outcome either way as long as I get wet on Saturday.

By the way, I gotta get a ride in that Zodiac someday. That thing's awesome.
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

so is the weather going to be an issue? we were debating, but neither of us have ever done the coast.
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Yes, The swell is going to be too much for Tillamook Bay. Not sure about Netarts Bay and Newport but my guess would be that it would make the diving bad enough to not be worth the drive. I thought that the ocean might be a bit rough this time of year. I have only dove out there (Tillamook) in summer and even then, wih 2-3 foot swells coming in, it makes entry and exit off the jetty a bit of a pain. I couldn't imagine doing it in 12ft. swells even far in on the jetty. There are a couple of other places farther in to the bay but, as Stan was mentioning, the crazy ocean is probably kicking up the schmutz and screwing up the vis.

Part of the reason I had originally mentioned Newport as the place to go was that South Beach Scuba had mentioned a fun dive and I have not dove there before. I don't know if it is as dependent on the ocean conditions due to the jetty fingers that stick out into the bay. South Beach Scuba still has the fun dive listed on their web site starting at 3pm (too late for me) weather permitting. The odds that the weather will not permit makes it not worth the drive down there when I could go up to Hood Canal and am guaranteed diveable conditions. The coast is hard to predict very far in advance this time of year. I was hoping for one last good weekend.

I believe we are going to end up at Hood Canal on Saturday and you're welcome to join us.
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

We may just go that route, have to give it some thought...
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

ORDiver wrote:

Avon Dave Avon :laughing3: , If it ;looks like its going to be halfway dry I will prob. just tow it up there and we can launch at Potlatch and cruise up to Octo Hole and Sund Rock and dive off of it. Girlfrind does not really enjoy sitting in it if its pouring down rain all day though, hmm cannot understand that though LOL.
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

Netarts should be still divable, I've dove there in a howling hail starm with the water slopping out of the bay, and it was one of the best dives I have had there. I think I might still go and check out Newport. :partydance:
Doug
If only I had Gills
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

sunny summers...10 foot viz
rainy winters......10 foot viz
I love Newport
the perpendicular finger jetties offer alot of protection and the dive site is along way from the mouth
I have pics on my flickr link
and the plan was to dive saturday, only have one set of doubles though
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

no excuses wrote:
ORDiver wrote:

Avon Dave Avon :laughing3: , If it ;looks like its going to be halfway dry I will prob. just tow it up there and we can launch at Potlatch and cruise up to Octo Hole and Sund Rock and dive off of it. Girlfrind does not really enjoy sitting in it if its pouring down rain all day though, hmm cannot understand that though LOL.

That's right. Avon. I know i've heard you mention that before. As you can tell I'm a bit of a RIB novice. All I know is that the ones on Craigslist with the center consoles cost a bit more than the little ones with the tiller.

So some people are going to head to Newport, and it doesn't get to crappy in the winter. Hmmm. That sounds kind of fun, but so does Hood Canal in the Avon. Hmmmm. Stan, I'm with you man. Wanna go north or south? I can't decide.
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

dive window is 3:30-5:30; 3ft commming in...7ft going out. I plan to be there before 3 at the third finger jetty from the bridge. red nissan pickup/canopy. I only have one tank in viz, so one hour long dive for me.
i flickr

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

3:30 to 5:30pm is a bit late for me but I am curious. Why can you only dive the high slack? Are the conditions at Newport unsuitable at any other time? It seems to me, as a non-Newport experienced diver, that you would be able to dive the low slack and the entire flood starting at around 8am. The exchange between 10am and 3pm is only 3ft. I must be missing something. :questionmarks: Enlighten me!

Tide plot for 10/24 in local time:
http://www.co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/data_men ... =View+Plot
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

My sister had her checkout dives in Newport at low tide.

Its also a shorter climb down to the water at high tide, and something about the fish comming in to get speared at high tide;;; its my birthday weekend and we are leaving in the morning for a newport hotel
i flickr

ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

So if you don't mind a climb and you're not a spear fisherman then it would be OK to dive the flood on Saturday. Got it. Still not going to make it even though I started this thread (lame) :angryblue: . Back on Monday we didn't know if anyone else was going and kind of planned on going up north. I might have to head down there sometime this winter and check it out.
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

I'll try post(oregon dive plans) when my buddy gives up on deer hunting
i flickr