*Choosing the right tech harness* Scubapro XTech question..

General topics about technical diving.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: *Choosing the right tech harness* Scubapro XTech questio

Post by CaptnJack »

SeanKylgod wrote:Second note; I've decied to get the deluxe Hollis harness with the quick releases to replace my daily rec harness and get the Halcyon one piece for tech and dubs.
Try Koos' harness before you buy.
Save your money, you don't need both.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

CaptnJack wrote:
SeanKylgod wrote:Second note; I've decied to get the deluxe Hollis harness with the quick releases to replace my daily rec harness and get the Halcyon one piece for tech and dubs.
I agree. One will do the job of two. If you want to, get a doubles wing, singles wing, and ssingle tank adapter. Your harness and backplate will be interchangeable between those.

D
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

fineeee haha jkjk. anyone wanna buy a zeagle? lol
defied wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
I agree. One will do the job of two. If you want to, get a doubles wing, singles wing, and ssingle tank adapter. Your harness and backplate will be interchangeable between those.

D
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

One thing that I didn't see posted in here that I think should be a consideration for someone not currently using a BP/W and who is about to spend money on new equipment is this:

-the BP/W is not a stand alone system. In a lot of Open Water configurations you can put any reg on any tank with any bc and jump in the water. It's not that easy with Technical Diving. Some of the things that you should really be thinking about is the ultimate regulator configuration (including low pressure inflator hose length/routing). Where would you put a canister light? How would you stow back up lights? What kind of SPG are you going to use? and how will you route it? Long hose routing, where do you really need D-Rings, and where are they going to be excessive, or even in the way and distracting.

I don't know your current gear configuration, but a few things to think about that may change for you in the future:

1. Most Tech Divers use a 7 foot hose between their 1st stage and the second stage that they normally breath from (which is the one they would donate). In order to route the hose most tuck it under a can light on the right hip. (For almost all technical divers having a 7ft hose is a deal breaker, they will not get in the water to do a technical dive with you without one.)
2.. Most Tech Divers around here do not use consoles. Their computers are wrist mounted, and the SPG is just a brass SPG.
3. Backup lights are often stored where all that clutter is on the Hollis (although I do not plenty of people who store them elsewhere, like drysuit pockets).
4. Where will you end up clipping off Deco Bottles. While seeing a lot of D-Rings would make one think well it's going to be easy to find some where to clip the bottle off I would say that I prefer to have my rig as clean as possible other than the location where i'm clipping off. That way when I reach down to unclip a bottle, light, regulator, whatever there isn't a lot of other stuff that is no value added.

The big thing is that this is a "system" not just a bp/w.

Once you have items like can lights, and 7ft hoses you'll realize that they're convenient enjoyable to dive with even on shallow recreational dives, and will want to incorporate those items into your recreational diving.

You should take Koos up on his offer, he'll be better at helping you dial things in, but since it can be tough to get time to get to Seattle if you just want to dive with me sometime I have some backplates you could try, and I live in Kitsap County so it would be a lot easier to meet up sometime. Unforutunately I don't have extra regs with 7ft hose setups, canlights, or any of that fun stuff.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

If you end up at Harper's with Austin I have a 10w HID you could use. And a 7ft hose. I don't have a spare BP but I don't mind if someone borrows my single tank wing and STA for a day. Its a 40lb H.

I'm about a mile south of Harper.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

@Kitsapdiver- this has all been taken into consideration, and with my height a 7' hose was perfect, I have a single brass SPG a Luna and my main which is Pro Plus 2.1. I've taken all of this into consideration and already have the whole configuration completely figured out on my mind and on paper =P ALL I've had to do since my surgery has been *think* about diving haha. I will gladly take you (and everyone else) up on their offers and its awesome that you're so close =)

@captainjack- we should all hook up for a dive at harper's soon. I'm guessing that by next weekend I should be more than healed enough to get in the water. I more than look forward to meeting y'all and appreciate all of the comments, thoughts, ideas and PM's (even if some of them were rather condescending..)

Do you guys wanna plan something for next weekend?
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

Sean,

First off, I hope I wasn't sounding condescending because certainly I was not trying to be. Sometimes it's hard to respond, especially in the tech diving forum, to some questions if you don't know the OP and what they have been exposed to. Especially since there are no dive shops in kitsap county that caters to technical divers.

In general technical diving invokes a lot of emotions. The people who have found a way to do those dives safely hold on with deep conviction to the things that they feel make them safe, and that isn't specific to any agency or sect of tech diving.

As for setting something up for next weekend I say that sounds good. Right now I officially have next weekend off work, but I see the storm clouds gathering. If I end up working next weekend it will be on swing shift so let's plan something in the AM. I work swings all this week and would be able to dive locally any day this week in the AM.
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

lol! I wasnt referring to you as the one who was sounding condescending =P I've got plenty of rude PM's and a few about how tech isn't for "bitch boys with long hair and a face that looks like a tackle box and I should stick to the kiddie pools".. :rofl: There is a difference between people just being flat out a-holes and people who are giving me positive criticism/hard love simply because they want to drive a very true point home; I have no idea what I'm doing.

The difference between me not knowing what I'm doing here on my laptop and the difference between me not knowing what I'm doing in the water is the difference between a damn good rec diver and a dead diver with twins on his back ;-)

I hunger to better myself as a diver whether through practical application or in just general knowledge. :burntchef:

I appreciate any well thought out advice from anyone who wants to share it. Before I even hit the pool for the first time in my OW class, I had so much knowledge about the fundamentals that It all just made sense to me.

people can say what they want about my appearance or my newb tech questions, it doesn't phase me. Yes, I am a newb to tech. Yes, I am covered in ink and metal. I'm just a fish with different colors :neener:

Hi, I'm Sean and I'm here to stay :popcorn:
kitsapdiver wrote:Sean,

First off, I hope I wasn't sounding condescending because certainly I was not trying to be..
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

Sorry the community would say those things!

Now for setting up some dives I have mornings (before 1400) open everyday tuesday-next Sunday (1/22)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

SeanKylgod wrote:lol! I wasnt referring to you as the one who was sounding condescending =P I've got plenty of rude PM's and a few about how tech isn't for "bitch boys with long hair and a face that looks like a tackle box and I should stick to the kiddie pools".. :

Seriously? As a long-time moderator of this site, I find this somewhat alarming. Feel free to forward me any of those PMs- they would be in clear violation of our TOS, and if we have members out there being a-holes to newbies, I would very much like to hear about it.

And as a diver whose been tech diving around here since 2007, I'm sort of appalled to hear that there are idiotic attitudes like this out there- I thought those guys were all cave divers from Florida and Alabama.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:
SeanKylgod wrote:lol! I wasnt referring to you as the one who was sounding condescending =P I've got plenty of rude PM's and a few about how tech isn't for "bitch boys with long hair and a face that looks like a tackle box and I should stick to the kiddie pools".. :

Seriously? As a long-time moderator of this site, I find this somewhat alarming. Feel free to forward me any of those PMs- they would be in clear violation of our TOS, and if we have members out there being a-holes to newbies, I would very much like to hear about it. .
Agreed. There's a "report PM" function available to all users. Feel free to tag any message you find objectionable.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Joshua Smith wrote:

Seriously? As a long-time moderator of this site, I find this somewhat alarming. Feel free to forward me any of those PMs- they would be in clear violation of our TOS, and if we have members out there being a-holes to newbies, I would very much like to hear about it.

And as a diver whose been tech diving around here since 2007, I'm sort of appalled to hear that there are idiotic attitudes like this out there- I thought those guys were all cave divers from Florida and Alabama.
+1

Please sic the mods on that crap. Pm's or not there is no place for that on the board. Forward them if you get them.

It would be kind of nice to deal with straight out tos violating dickness instead of the otherwise more common skirting around the edges general douchebaggery that is harder to pin down than nailing jello to the wall. :)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I have a hard time believing that these comments aren't being exaggerated a bit.
If not then the offenders (probably a couple of regulars) should get the boot.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

AH! what an uproar! I should have clarified that this was NOT on this site, it was on another "popular" tho not local dive site. that kind of attitude was why I left the site and found/joined this one. People were all about flaming on any other forum aside from this one. Everyone on here has been extremely helpful and more than welcoming. I only wish the people were local who said some of those things.. @Josh, ironically enough, one of the guys is from Atlanta (which is home to me) and the other was from southern Alabama.. which (if you've ever been there) was reason enough to not give two squats of pi$$ about what he had to say.

thank you all for the support and I am SO glad I found a site where even the mods aren't egomaniacs ;-P

much love,

-This guy
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I have plans for the next 2 weekends, maybe the first weekend in Feb.
What kind of surgery did you have?
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

full hypospadius repair and circumcision.

ps. you asked =P
CaptnJack wrote:I have plans for the next 2 weekends, maybe the first weekend in Feb.
What kind of surgery did you have?
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Ouch!
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

SeanKylgod wrote:AH! what an uproar! I should have clarified that this was NOT on this site, it was on another "popular" tho not local dive site. that kind of attitude was why I left the site and found/joined this one. People were all about flaming on any other forum aside from this one. Everyone on here has been extremely helpful and more than welcoming. I only wish the people were local who said some of those things.. @Josh, ironically enough, one of the guys is from Atlanta (which is home to me) and the other was from southern Alabama.. which (if you've ever been there) was reason enough to not give two squats of pi$$ about what he had to say.

thank you all for the support and I am SO glad I found a site where even the mods aren't egomaniacs ;-P

much love,

-This guy
No, we ARE egomaniacs. But we try to be nice about it.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

hahaha well said, Josh =P
Joshua Smith wrote:
SeanKylgod wrote:AH! what an uproar! I should have clarified that this was NOT on this site, it was on another "popular" tho not local dive site. that kind of attitude was why I left the site and found/joined this one. People were all about flaming on any other forum aside from this one. Everyone on here has been extremely helpful and more than welcoming. I only wish the people were local who said some of those things.. @Josh, ironically enough, one of the guys is from Atlanta (which is home to me) and the other was from southern Alabama.. which (if you've ever been there) was reason enough to not give two squats of pi$$ about what he had to say.

much love,

-This guy
No, we ARE egomaniacs. But we try to be nice about it.
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

hahaha yeah.. you have NO idea :BDub: I actually broke my "no narcotic pain killer" rule.. I am very against pills in every way shape and form.. for the first time, my "natural" remedies weren't enough. I'm still walking like John Wayne and idea of suit squeeze still makes me feel nauseated :eek:
cardiver wrote:Ouch!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Ouch is right.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

SeanKylgod wrote:full hypospadius repair and circumcision.
Do NOT Google this phrase, and whatever you do, do NOT click on the wikipedia link. :yipes: :eek:

I'm sorry, dude. Hope you heal quick.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Already did .......
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

scottsax wrote:
Do NOT Google this phrase, and whatever you do, do NOT click on the wikipedia link. :yipes: :eek:

And, of course, I immediately did just that. Wow.

SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

lmao thanks for the good wishes =) I googled it just for funsies.. I'm SO glad I was out for the surgery and even happier that i didnt see those pics before the surgery :eek:
scottsax wrote: