Reels

General topics about technical diving.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Reels

Post by spatman »

I'll soon be in the market for a reel used primarily for shooting a bag from depth (<160fsw for now). Though I do plan to try out several makes/models before I buy, I am curious to know what kinds of reels you all prefer and why.

:popcorn:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Re: Reels

Post by kdupreez »

Halcyon 400ft primary reel.
http://www.halcyon.net/guideline/reels

Pros:
- Closed handle (no entanglement risk)
- All Derlin design on body and aluminum on handle (corrosion free and almost indestructible)
- Lock nut is positioned for easy operation and line securing without extra doo-hickies
- Lock nut is good sized SS knurled for dry glove operation
- comes with SS double-ended bolt snap that allows bolt snap stowage during use to reduce entanglement
- Double ender is used for securing line placement and directional marking.

Light Monkey makes an exact replica of the Halcyon reel.
http://www.lightmonkey.us/reels_spools.php

The Hollis makes a similar one, except I'm not a big fan of the lock nut placement (You are forced to put some weird ball on the line for securing and if it comes off, you are SOL to secure the line, unless you carry spare balls ;) ) and the "steel on steel" permanently fixed single ended bolt snap.. (the bolt snap is permanently attached, so you cant even use a double ender or easily replace it without tools)
http://www.hollisgear.com/prodview.asp?id=136
Last edited by kdupreez on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Shooting a bag from that depth a class requirement?
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You won't be shooting a bag "from depth" around here for awhile, if ever...

The light monkey or halcyon reels are identical except the halcyon one has an aluminum handle and the light monkey one has a delrin handle. The delrin is non-corrosive but the aluminum has a nicer "heft" to it IMHO.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

That's pretty deep to be shooting a bag, imo.

I definitely prefer the sidewinder style, as opposed to an overhead handle. I have a Salvo 400' and Light Monkey 200' which I'm really happy with.

I also typically have knots in my line, which is great for overheads. Not sure that's a good idea on reel you'll be using to shoot a bag. That bag is going to be moving as it gets shallower and having a knot get stuck in the gate would not be good.

I would also look for a design that allows for use of a double-ender, as Koos touched on.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote: The Hollis makes a similar one, except I'm not a big fan of the lock nut placement (You are forced to put some weird ball on the line for securing and if it comes off, you are SOL to secure the line, unless you carry spare balls ;) ) and the "steel on steel" permanently fixed single ended bolt snap.. (the bolt snap is permanently attached, so you cant even use a double ender or easily replace it without tools)
http://www.hollisgear.com/prodview.asp?id=136
If you really liked this reel for some reason...
You can run the line loop out of the guide and back to the other side and drop it over the tension screw.
You could unbolt the fixed boltsnap and put a loop of bungie through the bolt instead. Then use a double ender on the bungie loop.
I like having a novice ball on my primary reel. I actually use a big bead. But I am not using it to shoot bags or lay new line in a cave (its only 400ft anyway). My exploration reel has no bead.

I use 100 or 150ft spools for shooting bags. I don't think I have shot a bag from technical depths ever (maybe once?). If I did, I imagine my ascent rate would suffer. Its a pain enough to move along at 60ft/min without reeling up like a madman as it is.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Blitz wrote:Shooting a bag from that depth a class requirement?
Yep.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

CaptnJack wrote:I like having a novice ball on my primary reel. I actually use a big bead. But I am not using it to shoot bags or lay new line in a cave (its only 400ft anyway). My exploration reel has no bead.
+1 on the novice ball on primary (non-exploration) reel, especially with dry gloves.

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

What's a novice ball?
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

BDub wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:I like having a novice ball on my primary reel. I actually use a big bead. But I am not using it to shoot bags or lay new line in a cave (its only 400ft anyway). My exploration reel has no bead.
+1 on the novice ball on primary (non-exploration) reel, especially with dry gloves.
You dont like fiddling with woodies, eh? :smt064
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

spatman wrote:
Blitz wrote:Shooting a bag from that depth a class requirement?
Yep.

Out of curiosity, what class are you taking that makes you shoot a bag from 160+ ?
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

kdupreez wrote:
BDub wrote:
Hehe, actually, I prefer both!
ReelLoop2.jpg
Spatty, the novice ball is the little colored bead at the end of the loop. The ball acts as a stop so the end of the line, when reeled in, doesn't pass thru the guide.

The (Woody) Jasper loop is a smaller loop tied at the end of the loop to provide the diver a means to grab the line when undoing the primary tie-off or pulling the line out of the reel preparing for a tie.

Ok, waaay too much talk about beads and woodies!
Last edited by BDub on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Thats what the BW on the reel is for right? its the "Ball & Woodie" reel :p

Balls, woodies and double-enders.. Sounds like a party I want an invite to! \:D/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Reels

Post by spatman »

Koos, I'm taking Adv Rec Trimix in May. I don't think a deep bag shoot is a practice done on every dive, just a skill to learn in case of a situation that might call for it, such as getting blown off a wreck and needing to let the boat know where you are. I may be wrong, though. I'll know more after class.

Brian, do people really try to grab a loop before it gets wound up un the reel. The ball just seems like a pretty obvious choice.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

spatman wrote:Brian, do people really try to grab a loop before it gets wound up un the reel. The ball just seems like a pretty obvious choice.
The loop is actually much easier, imo. Much easier to get purchase on the loop than trying to grab a bead with drygloves, especially if the the wraps are tight.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote:
BDub wrote:
Oh lil grasshopper, someday you'll let the stopperless line through the guide in Lake Washington in winter... Then you're basically stowing that reel until your gloveless hands have been off in front of the truck heater for half an hour - while I laugh at you for the rest of the dive :rofl:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:Koos, I'm taking Adv Rec Trimix in May. I don't think a deep bag shoot is a practice done on every dive, just a skill to learn in case of a situation that might call for it, such as getting blown off a wreck and needing to let the boat know where you are. I may be wrong, though. I'll know more after class.

Brian, do people really try to grab a loop before it gets wound up un the reel. The ball just seems like a pretty obvious choice.
On something like the hydroatlantic (in the gulf stream) you need to shoot the bag from the wreck or you'll be out of sight before the boat can find your bag. Around here you'd only be shooting a bag from the bottom on something like the Sampson or the Governor. And even then some people don't dive it that way.

The ball is a pita if you want to rig up a bag as bigger ones which won't pass through the guide are more difficult or impossible to girth hitch onto some bags (depends on the SMB)
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

CaptnJack wrote:
kdupreez wrote:
BDub wrote:
Oh lil grasshopper, someday you'll let the stopperless line through the guide in Lake Washington in winter... Then you're basically stowing that reel until your gloveless hands have been off in front of the truck heater for half an hour - while I laugh at you for the rest of the dive :rofl:
you should see me handle a woodie bro, I never let my woodie slip.. And much prefer handling my woodie over small balls.. :rofl:

In all seriousness, woodie + ball = good idea for dry gloved hands in cold water when using a guide reel.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Reels

Post by spatman »

kdupreez wrote:Balls, woodies and double-enders.. Sounds like a party I want an invite to! \:D/
I think your buddy Sounder hosts a weekly event that goes by that name at Neighbors in Capital Hill.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

spatman wrote:
kdupreez wrote:Balls, woodies and double-enders.. Sounds like a party I want an invite to! \:D/
I think your buddy Sounder hosts a weekly event that goes by that name at Neighbors in Capital Hill.
They put good use to the "buddy system" there.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote: you should see me handle a woodie bro, I never let my woodie slip.. And much prefer handling my woodie over small balls.. :rofl:

In all seriousness, woodie + ball = good idea for dry gloved hands in cold water..
Oh is that why you're having suit flooding catheter problems?!?

Between you and Sounder there's something funny going on with that Snoqualmie air.
DontPokeTheBear
Just Settling In

Post by DontPokeTheBear »

+1 on the halcyon reel, you can't go wrong with it. I also have the 200' hollis reel and I'm not a fan of it.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

CaptnJack wrote: Oh is that why you're having suit flooding catheter problems?!?

Between you and Sounder there's something funny going on with that Snoqualmie air.
I feel inclined to inform you that the Snoqua's Big Al Pistachio was not amused..
gangsta-cat.jpg
Are-Jay
Just Settling In

Post by Are-Jay »

spatman wrote:Koos, I'm taking Adv Rec Trimix in May. I don't think a deep bag shoot is a practice done on every dive, just a skill to learn in case of a situation that might call for it, such as getting blown off a wreck and needing to let the boat know where you are. I may be wrong, though. I'll know more after class.
spatman,
I just finished that class last year and found the IANTD instructional materials and descriptions of required skills left a lot to the interpretation of the instructor. In my case the “deploying a lift bag at depth” was interpreted as we do a free ascent from 100’ish to 70’ switched gas for simulated deco and shot a bag for a reference point while running our simulated deco plan on the way up. I used a 150’ spool for that skill.

To answer your original question I have a 400’ Light Monkey that I really like. I used it to shoot a bag from about 80’ just for fun once, it worked well.
Last edited by Are-Jay on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Ah - Ok, got it.. We had to do the same when I did my DSAT trimix stuff a few of years ago.. shoot a bag deep, so you have reference to hang on to.. that and was used mostly used for adding some task loading during training and skill development, but practically, you will very seldom shoot a bag around here that deep while on deco.. you usually try come up the anchor/up line where the boat is at.

problem with a bag that deep is if there is any surface/shallow current it will drag you ten times faster and further adrift than when you shoot it shallower and only catch a small window of drag drift.. we almost landed under the ferrry at mukilteo because the freegin bag dragged us that far during my DSAT trimix training

but like others mentioned, when you get blown off a wreck at freegin 300ft on those big dives, you probably need to let the boat know before you end up 2 miles off..

when I re-did my trimix training through GUE in 2011, we used small smb's that with less drag and 150ft spools and shot it from much shallower.