Continuous blending Trimix

General topics about technical diving.
DontPokeTheBear
Just Settling In

Continuous blending Trimix

Post by DontPokeTheBear »

Hello, I have been continuous blending Trimix for some time (very succesfully, thanks to Joshua's excel worksheet)
I have only been blending up to 30% hel, out of concern for overheating my compressor setup (3ph MAKO 15cfm, 2 seperators, 3 33" towers) I have yet to get a consistant answer either from searching or asking 'pro's' some say very little, others say 'no problem, mix whatever you want'. Anyone able to shed some light? FYI this particular MAKO uses the Bauer K15 block. Yes I have a booster for those who are going to tell me to get one. No, it is not operational at this time(needs a rebuild and a little TLC.

Bear
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Continuous blending Trimix

Post by CaptnJack »

I pump up to 100% helium in mine. I wouldn't do this in a Rix, they don't like it. I do get some minor oil foaming but otherwise heat production is actually less than with air and I have not had any obvious wear & tear issues. I avoid pumping 100% helium at high pressures or for any kind of extended time (>20mins or so). This works well when I am trying to change a mix. I actually get more heat production on the 3rd stage head with actual trimix which I am willing to pump up to 21/35. When a higher concentration is needed I add 100% helium then continuous blend 21/35 on top of that.

If you don't already have one, get a laser thermometer from harborfreight.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
DontPokeTheBear
Just Settling In

Is the laser thermometer more accurate than the temp sensors I already have on the the head?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I have no idea what temp sensors you have. The heads are not uniform temp anyway, at least mine aren't. I think my thermometer was about $29 seems to be decently accurate.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
DontPokeTheBear
Just Settling In

I'll pick one up, thanks!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

If you aren't getting serious hot spots, and the oil isn't foaming terribly, CBing trimix seems to be fine. Of course Bauer will tell you you're going to die if you put >EAN23 through their machines. At some level or another you just gotta go for it. Or fix the booster.
DontPokeTheBear
Just Settling In

I havn't noticed any oil foaming, and the temp gauges are solid at 30%he. I'll play around with some more he.
The booster is going to american airworks for an overhaul soon, but I have some other priorities first.
Yeah I noticed bauer tech support leaves a little to be desired if you go out of the box.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

If you aren't using a synthetic oil I wouldn't CB anything though. If chemlube 800 is the right viscosity (should be just double check) I would switch to that. Takes a bunch of switches to clean out the carbon mineral gunk unfortunately.
DontPokeTheBear
Just Settling In

I have been using Nuvair 800, I believe it's one and the same.