Line Drills and Practice?

General topics about technical diving.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Line Drills and Practice?

Post by Rooinater »

Hey, I was wondering if there was anyone interested in getting together every couple weeks and working on line work for cave.

This spring I'm headed back to Florida to finish Full Cave from Apprentice, which is the level I'm currently trained at. I'm just finishing up with the last pre-req (adv nitrox and deco), and would like to start working on refreshing line work, and some skills and drills. I know it's rusty, and there are plenty of people on here to learn new techniques, reinforce old techniques and in general keep everything fresh.

Basically, I'm thinking of finding a good place with enough areas for ties, wraps, placements, and setting up some lines and simulate jump procedures. Maybe some simulated no viz line following and other drills as well. I know I can't easily simulate flow around here unless we setup in a current, which with our bedrock, there's not much pull and gliding available and I don't really see it as being useful in a uni-directional current without a squeeze to navigate while putting the line in place... And there isn't any nice restrictions to perform shared air, no viz, no lights exits through, but plenty of places to work on line techniques and skills...

I didn't put this in the general find a buddy/plan a dive, because I wanted to aim it at those already trained and wanting to maintain their skills along with open for discussion of which dive site you think or maybe even use for such ventures. I know a bunch of you already do this on your own, but it'd be nice to meet more cave trained team oriented divers along with maintaining and learning skills. Thanks in advance.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Line Drills and Practice?

Post by LCF »

Jared, I'd be happy to meet up and do some line running. We haven't ever tried to put together jumps, but there are various places where line can be run for practice, and of course it doesn't take much of anything to do valve or air-sharing drills. Cove 2 has some great places where you can swim under or through things, too.

I don't know if you've seen the notices for the Wednesday night dives at Cove 2, but a number of folks that sporadically attend those dives are cave trained, and everybody is cheerful about doing drills.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

I've made a few of them over the years, but wednesdays usually have seemed prohibitive in the past due to my schedule. I show up know a couple people, don't know who I'm diving with, so I don't bother with a lot of skill dives. The couple times I've made it. I prefer to know ahead of time if it's a dive dedicated to a certain skill sets like line work, otherwise I see it as an impedance of the dive with someone I don't know. I don't know enough of the divers to pick out which ones are cave certified out of their groups they are chatting with.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Are you on FB? If so, ask to join the NWUE group. The Wednesday dives are posted there, and you can put in a post and ask for somebody to do line work with. The folks who do those dives LOVE purpose.

And I meant it about being happy to meet up and do that with you, although I'm going to be in MX for the next week, and then up in Canada over that weekend. But some time in December, let's do it.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

That reminds me....I was going to stick the NWUE link in my sig line.

Also, if you guys go out to practice line, can I tag along and maybe pick up some basics? I'm thinking of C1 in April, so I would love to see some of it ahead of time
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

I'm on NWUE for the last several years, to include while it was only mainly a yahoo groups page. Generally no response, unless it's Maggie and Adrian who I've usually dove with out of there more frequently. I've dove with a few others but not too often. Jared Cook would be my "FB name". I've been in college for the last 5 years and scheduling to go to midweek tweeks often and also have time to socialize after was next to impossible when I was taking my full course load. (basically dive and dash) My full course loads were 4-400 level medical science courses. I recently started a day shift job, so maybe I can try to get to wednesday dives more frequently.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

If you're around weekends for this, I may be up for it too. I'm unforunately on the road all week, every week, for work.

I'm heading to Florida in February for a week of sidemount caving :) (I can't believe I am not taking the rebreather...feels so weird!)
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

Raptor on this board who is now not in the PNW any longer and soon hell be a permanent North Floridian used to do just this. We would both put in primary reels (one simulating gold line, the other simulating a side passage) and then put some line arrows on there and do jumps, set up circuits or whatever. I think one dive at Redando ended up like 100 minutes, but it was great practice. I wish I did more of it and would be willing to meet up with you sometime. Ill be in Tulum from the 18-25th but hit me up afterwards
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Hey Jarod!

Haven't seen you around a long while!

Were out there every Wednesday `tweakin`, when you are around and wanna come splash with us again sometime, come on down!!

Be happy to do some line work with ya!

we have 2 people from out group doing gue cave 1 in December, so yo might get some useful info joining a few dives.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

camerone wrote:If you're around weekends for this, I may be up for it too. I'm unforunately on the road all week, every week, for work.

I'm heading to Florida in February for a week of sidemount caving :) (I can't believe I am not taking the rebreather...feels so weird!)
traitorous bubble blower...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

Kitsapdiver - that's about what I'm looking to do. A nice long dive setting up a main line, and at minimum 1 or 2 lines to simulate a jump or circuit and getting all the little things refreshed, like clipping the double-ender toward the exit, using cookies (albeit dry gloves will make it fun...), dropping deco bottles, shared air no lights exits... I almost became a North Flordian last June as well... There's several job openings for what I do in Gainesville, and it's very tempting not to return...

camerone, I can swing a weekend or 2 for this or do it midweek.

I'm going to be without a drysuit and can light for a few weeks in December, otherwise starting next week I don't think I have anything planned. The zipper isn't leaking yet, but there's a point or 2 that I found this weekend that the cord is broken and it's currently Russian Roulette till it starts leaking...

I'll see if I can make it next Wednesday Koos. I've been around and diving, just trying to find balance between progression with whitewater kayaking, scuba diving and work. I've already completed the equivalent of Cave 1 (Cavern and Basic Cave), I'm in progress of finishing up the last half of what Cave 2 entails (Apprentice and Full Cave).