Possession Point Fingers

General topics about technical diving.
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Possession Point Fingers

Post by dewmercer »

We're looking at doing a Tec 1 (down to 170) dive on PPF this weekend. Still gotta sort out currents though. Any advice or suggestions?
--
DAve Mercer
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Possession Point Fingers

Post by CaptnJack »

Save the helium costs and find another site for a tech dive, its a muddy slope with very little life down there. There's way more life up on the actual wall structures which are no deeper than 90-110' depending on the exact area.

Generally divable on small floods, but avoid large floods and the ebb entirely. Currents really rip up on the beach slopes in <30ft.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

We just did PP Fingers last Thursday - the Vis was great below the shelf - about 40ft or so.

I've never done the fingers as a tech dive - our max depth is usually around 110 ft.

We've never experienced any current at depth, but the currents on the surface and in the shallows (above 10 ft.) can be moving. It always runs from north to south and just slows down a bit at slack. We always plan our dives somewhat around slack before flood but never worry about hitting a "window". If I were diving the site this weekend I'd probably look to splash around noon on Saturday or 1:00 on Sunday - That said the currents this weekend look pretty mellow so any time in the afternoon should be fine.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

You don't worry about current, you can dive anytime during the flood (smaller floods), but diving during ebb is seriously no bueno. This weekend (Saturday anyways) is a good day to dive it. We might be there as well.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
jeffgerritsen
Dive-aholic

Post by jeffgerritsen »

At 170 fsw, not much to see in the way of marine life, but structure is interesting. Are you bringing scooters?

On saturday Oct 19 you have a good dive window between noon and 5:00 pm.