OMS manifold service.

General topics about technical diving.
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

OMS manifold service.

Post by Mateo1147 »

I have an OMS 300 bar manifold i would like to get serviced. I have no local options ( Eastern Washington ) plus I have heard parts can be hard to find. If anyone has any info they would like to PM me that would be great. Thanks for your help.
Matt.
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: OMS manifold service.

Post by CaptnJack »

NESS has the O-rings, burst disks, crush washers and HP seats. On the cross bar is it the captured o-ring ring design or barrel o-rings?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

As Richard and Rockfish mentioned, NESS has the rebuild kits for the 300 BAR OMS manifolds. I'd give John at NESS a call instead of trying to piece them together from the website. The OMS manifold has a unique crush washer that John had manufactured when OMS stopped building them. I don't think that he has the one you need listed on the website.
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

Thank you everyone for the information on parts but I'm not trained yet to do the rebuild myself. I would need to send it to someone. Any ideas on that?
Matt.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You can do it, seriously. Its not very hard, you'll save a ton of money, and learn something. There are very few parts which hold it all together. We can walk you through it if you are game. You need...

Tools:
slotted screwdriver
imperial box end wrenches
3/8" drive torque wrench with socket to fit burst disks on end (I don't have size handy but maybe 3/8"?)
el cheapo ultrasonic cleaner

materials:
rebuilt kit (orings, burst disks, crush washers, HP seats [seats are not always required])
cristolube or equivelant
hot water and simple green
white vinegar

Don't think I'm frgetting anything but someone will chime in if I did.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

Thanks for the encouragment. I was never daunted by the actual task of removing, cleaning and installing new parts but didn't think I would be able to buy the parts without some form of recognized training. This is good news!
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

A new issue has come up. I forgot to mention that one of the valves of this manifold was missing the dip tube. Is there any chance anyone has one lying around they would sell?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sure its not in the tank?
You don't actually need the dip tube(s). Decades ago when people had inches of water sloshing around in their tanks, dip tubes had a purpose; nowadays they don't do anything. You take off the second one so both sides "match" or just leave the intact one on there and have one missing.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Frogkick has a service manual for the dive rite manifolds. It's well illustrated and will help. Most valves are very similar. Your OMS will be a lot alike.

http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/diverite ... manual.pdf

These are really easy to rebuild. The really essential part is the torque wrench. You don't want to over or under torque the burst disk.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

CaptnJack wrote:Sure its not in the tank?
You don't actually need the dip tube(s). Decades ago when people had inches of water sloshing around in their tanks, dip tubes had a purpose; nowadays they don't do anything. You take off the second one so both sides "match" or just leave the intact one on there and have one missing.
I wish it was that simple. I'm actually stuck with them. Shop politics. On the up side I believe I have one coming. I found another valve for sale that should have the same tube. It was cheap so what the hell.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I always toss my diptubes too..they are more hassle than what they are worth.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White