Mukilteo slow dive

General topics about technical diving.
eh.haole
Avid Diver

Mukilteo slow dive

Post by eh.haole »

Inspired by various comments and people's cool Facekook posts, I checked out Mukilteo on the evening high tide. Kudos to the humans for adding some well utilized habitat and making it creepy. The deep line makes a fine tec-rec dive. I would find it a bit too hasty and sketch on a rec only rig, though I'm sure that's done regularly.
:pirate:

Does anyone else on here go there in tec mode?
P7202765.JPG
MukDive-1.png

Spooky video edit (haunted house dive?)
https://youtu.be/SwRRdfU68-A
Sharkb8
Dive-aholic

Re: Mukilteo slow dive

Post by Sharkb8 »

I’ve been down to the man before on my rec setup with a HP119 and a pony. On a minus low tide it’s actually not too aggressive of a profile with the right gas mix for someone experienced. The steep slope up past the porcelain throne makes for an easy escape from mandatory deco stops.

Cool video also. The T Dock is by far my favorite easy north sound muck dive. There’s always something interesting to find there even on the worst days.
Party underwater
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Mukilteo is my backyard I have most of my dives there... Deep diving is fun...
If you think the man is scary at 115 ft and then you should buzz out to the troll..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
eh.haole
Avid Diver

Post by eh.haole »

Viz and serenity improved greatly at depth there... apart from the gawdawful roar of our beloved traffic beast overhead!

I followed a line out to what would've been the troll I think--as per The Map--though I don't remember seeing anything as terrifying. Perhaps I missed it. I went to 150' briefly below the man/boat to see what was "naturally" out there... not much!

I also somehow missed the geodome while poking my way back up a conveniently laid line/pipe. I'll blame the vis of the photic mixed layer, but I'll take the heat.

If we could have anything as Great as the wreck alleys of Sydney, Nanaimo or San Diego, that'd make wonderful eco fish habitat. Do it for the fish!! $$$ :angelblue: :notworthy:
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

not much out there deep. Further north theres some stuff. South to the boat ramp you can hit 330 pretty fast, but its just deep, nothing to see.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

I like diving that area with a small twinset, say dbl Alu 72s or Lp steel 85s. I use EAN30 for most tec-rec or tec lite dives, and do a simple min deco ascent on back gas. I feel comfortable bottoming at 130 ft for a short time on that mix, before moving shallower to continue for a while longer.
When travel to Canada resumes, it will be fun to dive the artificial reefs again. The Saskatchewan and Cape Breton don’t get any deeper than 130, and the Annapolis bottoms out just a little below 100. If I want to hang out longer at depth, it’s easy enough to sling a bottle of 50% to accelerate the deco. Same strategy for diving the Diamond Knot in the middle of the Straights. The most important thing for diving the Knot is a captain who knows how to hit the wreck at the right time.
eh.haole
Avid Diver

Post by eh.haole »

So in for that! I can find plenty to do in the 80 to 130' range to rack up deco, especially if it's a wreck/habitat.