Altitude Diving/Ratio Deco

Discuss Team Diving here.
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Altitude Diving/Ratio Deco

Post by kitsapdiver »

so a few months ago I went diving at Lake McDonald, and Lake St. Mary in Glacier National Park. The dives were a lot of fun, and McDonald is an amazing dive, but during those dives I cut the tables on V-planner and did the dives that way. My question was is there a method that is used for correcting Ratio Deco profiles for altitude?
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Altitude Diving/Ratio Deco

Post by CaptnJack »

Not really. Its trial and error like most deco is anyway. Fortunately, Lake Macdonald is not very high. Lake St. Mary is 4,500ft IIRC. About 2/3rds Lake Tahoe (6,500ft) which is done with very minimal RD padding - more due to temps than altitude. The water equivalent of ~4,000ft less atmosphere is 5ft of water or <0.2bar.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

Yeah lake McDonald was minimal. Lake St. Mary we planned higher, because we cross Logan pass that night. Lake St. Mary was pretty bland anyways I didn't feel as if though we missed much, but Lake McDonald was an interesting dive.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

kitsapdiver wrote:so a few months ago I went diving at Lake McDonald, and Lake St. Mary in Glacier National Park. The dives were a lot of fun, and McDonald is an amazing dive, but during those dives I cut the tables on V-planner and did the dives that way. My question was is there a method that is used for correcting Ratio Deco profiles for altitude?
you can compare the dives in v-planner with and without the altitude adjustment and take the difference in deco times and apply that overall correction in deco time to the ratio deco profiles.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Diving EAN32 with air tables is quite conservative up to most reasonable altitudes as well. (which can also be confirmed wih something like Vplanner although Ross adamantly states its not to be used for no deco dives.)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

CaptnJack wrote:Diving EAN32 with air tables is quite conservative up to most reasonable altitudes as well. (which can also be confirmed wih something like Vplanner although Ross adamantly states its not to be used for no deco dives.)
vplanner only for nodeco dives? Seriously?
:questionmarks:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Only for deco dives.
Not for non-deco dives.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

mz53480 wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Diving EAN32 with air tables is quite conservative up to most reasonable altitudes as well. (which can also be confirmed wih something like Vplanner although Ross adamantly states its not to be used for no deco dives.)
vplanner only for nodeco dives? Seriously?
:questionmarks:
Backwards, its not intended for no deco dives.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

airsix wrote:Only for deco dives.
Not for non-deco dives.

I'm confused. If I'm a left handed buddhist at the equator on the vernal equinox, at altitudes above 2,013 meters, and I have no plans not to do a non deco dive, is vplanner right for me?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Not for non-deco dives.

I'm confused. If I'm a left handed buddhist at the equator on the vernal equinox, at altitudes above 2,013 meters, and I have no plans not to do a non deco dive, is vplanner right for me?
You need a buddha, regardless of elevation. Rub his belly, he'll tell you when to go up.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Not for non-deco dives.

You need a buddha, regardless of elevation. Rub his belly, he'll tell you when to go up.

So, I need bplanner.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Ben, Richard--thanks. Seems that my double negatives caught up to me.....
#-o
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

I thought every dive was a deco dive....