Valves with red/green open indicator?

Discuss Team Diving here.
dscuba
Aquaphile

Valves with red/green open indicator?

Post by dscuba »

What do the DIR Gods have to say about valves which have the red and green tabs which show whether the valve is opened or closed?
http://www.malibudivers.com/images/XS_S ... dWheel.jpg
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: Valves with red/green open indicator?

Post by mz53480 »

Unnecessary failure point?
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Who cares.....

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

Merry Christmas?
Got Water?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

He wants a ligit answer... Be nice , Dave is my friend... I would think that the tank doesnt matter its more about have the same gear config, Hope that helps Dave..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Far from being the official DIR "word" but I would save my money if I were you. It's not needed, and in general, the DIR philosophy on stuff like that is, "if you don't need it, don't bring it."

The potential for getting used to trusting that little indicator, vs. a proper pre-dive flow check is too high. I would also worry about it breaking and jamming the valve. Maybe it's not a real concern, I haven't looked at those too close.

Breathe your regs while watching the SPG to see if it dips before splashing. This serves the same purpose, and is far more reliable.

Come diving with the Doc and I on Monday and I'll show you what I mean by the low check.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You need to be able to reach your own valves. If it rolls off, is partially open, or you splash off the boat with it completely off (happens). We don't rely on buddies or DMs to check red-green indicators. So, I would spend the time & energy learning to check your own (and potentially money if you suit is too constricting to reach).
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Valves with red/green open indicator?

Post by Joshua Smith »

dscuba wrote:What do the DIR Gods have to say about valves which have the red and green tabs which show whether the valve is opened or closed?
I'm very much NOT dir, and I think these are silly.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Valves with red/green open indicator?

Post by cardiver »

Joshua Smith wrote:
dscuba wrote:What do the DIR Gods have to say about valves which have the red and green tabs which show whether the valve is opened or closed?
All of the new Worthington cylinders have that valve installed. I'm pretty sure that it wont kill anyone........
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Re: Valves with red/green open indicator?

Post by Joshua Smith »

cardiver wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
All of the new Worthington cylinders have that valve installed. I'm pretty sure that it wont kill anyone........
Probably not. But I still think its silly.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Does anybody know exactly how these work? If they don't interfere with the normal operation of the valve and handle (as I suspect may be true) there wouldn't be a specific objection to them. In other words, there would be no reason to take them off the tanks, if the tanks came with them. As Richard observes, they would not be viewed as necessary or desirable, because it's an equipment solution to a procedure problem (failure to do routine checks).

I think their best use is on charter boats, and for instructors, to be able to do a quick visual check of clients or students and be sure that everyone has his valve open, without having to touch anyone's equipment.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I agree they are potentially useful for charter boat who're checking noob valves. Otherwise they are just a superflluous crutch.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

As far as how it works, All the parts are external it's a nut sleeve arrangement. (see attached).

From what I can tell, it's looking like XSScuba is moving towards these are their standard. You already have to pay an upcharge to get Thermo instead of these with steel tanks.
Attachments
xs valve.pdf
(320.85 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Dave Mitchell
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The whole point of rubber knobs (instead of plastic or SS) is that if you crunch the valve on something and the stem bends, the knob still has the best chance of working. Having extra plastic bits in there to jam is silly. Maybe not such a big deal with a single tank but definitely foolish for manifolds and overheads.
dscuba
Aquaphile

Post by dscuba »

Ok, so what if it turns out to be cheaper to get the valves with the red/green indicator as opposed to without them? Does the "save your money" argument still apply? I originally asked because I was told they were the exact same price, so it didn't make any monitary difference to get them or not. Now I'm being told it's actually $20 to get the valves without the green/red stuff.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

On a single tank I'd just dive them until I had to overhaul the valve. Then I'd probably just leave the red-green parts off cause I'm lazy and don't see the value.
vbcoachchris
Dive-aholic

Post by vbcoachchris »

See rule 6 ;)

Scott
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

vbcoachchris wrote:See rule 6 ;)

Scott
:goodpost: :rofl:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!