Jan 15-16 San Juan Washington mini weekend

Discuss Team Diving here.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Jan 15-16 San Juan Washington mini weekend

Post by CaptnJack »

I have made arrangements with the Nak Nek (Bandito) for the following mini-weekend San Juan Islands trip. I am hoping that we might make this a "DIR" boat and get some cross-buddy/agency pollination going. If not it's NBD to have a whole slew of folks.

Tentative plan:
Saturday January 15th
Drive to Anacortes and take 9:30am ferry to Friday Harbor
Arrive Friday Harbor 10:35am

Slack at Lime Kiln = 12:30
Single tank + scooter (you don't want doubles over the rocks)
Splash by 12, exit by 1pm
Check into motel (on your own/have not looked into this much yet)

People who can't get up Saturday can potentially take the 6:20am ferry out of Anacortes which arrive in Friday Harbor at 7:40am Sunday

Sunday 16th
Nak Nek charter
1st dive on Long Island Wall wind/weather permitting. There's a mild +1.0 flood from 11:03am until 1:24. Probably splash around 10:30ish
2nd dive at Kurt/Peggy's (skipper's) discretion

Try for 6:30pm ferry back to Anacortes which arrives at 7:55. If not then 7:50 which arrives Anacortes 9:10pm

Lime Kiln Point is a fantastic dive, lots of boulders, crevices and life.

Long Island Wall is even better. A near sheer wall with some overhangs from 0ft down to 170ft+. Suitable for 32%, 25/25, 30/30 or 21/35 divers. You don't want air - not enough bottom time to do it justice. Superb scootering and vis is generally good this far away from rivers on a slight flood.

Charter price is roughly $80-100 per diver.

There are a variety of motels near the ferry and downtown Friday Harbor ~$60 to $200 or so. Here are some links:
http://www.naknekcharters.com/accommodations

Last edited by CaptnJack on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Re: Jan 15-16 San Juan Washington mini weekend

Post by kitsapdiver »

I have replied to Richard to let him know I'm planning on making this weekend.

For the Long Island Wall Dive I would like to run it as a UTD T-1 profile with 25/25 and O2 deco. Anyone interested in buddying up for that dive?
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Post by ldevore »

kitsapdiver wrote:I have replied to Richard to let him know I'm planning on making this weekend.

For the Long Island Wall Dive I would like to run it as a UTD T-1 profile with 25/25 and O2 deco. Anyone interested in buddying up for that dive?

I'm "in" too. Would love to dive it with you buddy!

Lauri
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I've gotten some interest, but can't fill the charter so I'm going to postpone until later in the winter.

Going to Waterman's Wall off private boats instead and we're full with 8 divers.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

When you reschedule this, let me know. I'd love to join up.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote:When you reschedule this, let me know. I'd love to join up.
Sweet, aiming for early March. And bring that Lamont joker with you! :eric:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

If I get two months' notice, I can request the time off.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The same basic plans for Lime Kiln Point and Long Island Wall will work with the ferry schedule for March 5-6. I'll email Peggy about getting the Nak Nek chartered.

March 12-13th is all fubared and will not work fyi.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Time requested -- hopefully I'll get it!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Same here, will attempt to "make it work". Sounds fun. :)
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

I would love to go in March.... I will hopefully be able to do a UTD T-1 profile by then. Brian?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

started a new thread about the revised weekend
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

So the 27th weekend IS the same dive plan. I'm sorry, I would have loved to have been able to make it. I guess I can let my work know that I don't need the 5th and 6th off.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:So the 27th weekend IS the same dive plan. I'm sorry, I would have loved to have been able to make it. I guess I can let my work know that I don't need the 5th and 6th off.
Yeah sorry, I got mixed messages back from Nak Nek and the other thread is the "active" one.

I have a deposit down for the 26-27th so as long as we get minimum ~9 we're a go.