Scubapro Tek gear..

Discuss Team Diving here.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Scubapro Tek gear..

Post by kdupreez »

Here is an add on the back of "Alert Diver" for the Scubapro Tek line.. 40 years of experience and they come up with this ?

Uhm.. Dude, your dangly flashlight is not a great idea.. But i guess you had to hang something on your 11 sewn-in-place D-Rings!! Or maybe clip it on your crotch strap, yeah that thing that covers your primary belt buckle.. At least it will distract on-lookers from the rest of this POS...

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE ScubaPro gear and they make kick-ass regs and I might even look at the halcyon knock-off wing..But - WTF were these guys thinking?

I guess this competes with Diverite TransPac, Hollis HTS and OMS IQ Pack.. But seriously, Sewn-in D-Rings?? And Metal D-Rings on quick disconnect pulls?

Large Size image here: http://i52.tinypic.com/34imuzb.jpg

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Re: Scubapro Tek gear..

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I'll bet that ad alone is gonna sell a butt ton of gear. Just sayin...

I kinda doubt that a company like Scubapro defines success as making a valuable contribution to the tech diving comunity. More likely it's the bottom line they"ll be looking at. When I think/look back at my own progression into technical diving and how much of a fight I put up about loosing certain "features" (like quick releases, transmitters, multiple chest D rings etc.) along the way I can't help but think that maybe it's smarter from a bottom line perspective to give the customer what he/she wants instead of trying to educate them on why something else might work better.

After all, dressed like that you'd be the undisputed heavy weight champion of the cattle boat.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:After all, dressed like that you'd be the undisputed heavy weight champion of the cattle boat.
Hahaha - good point.. from a pure gear sales and perspective and target audience, this ad and gear, certainly will deliver on revenue numbers.. It might not win any hearts and minds of harcode tec or cave divers.. but wil for sure win over the wallets of upcoming Tecreational divers.. And there are a lot more wallets to be won over in that categeory.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mattleycrue76 wrote: After all, dressed like that you'd be the undisputed heavy weight champion of the cattle boat.
Dammit, that bad ass copied my look!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

kdupreez wrote:Here is an add on the back of "Alert Diver" for the Scubapro Tek line.. 40 years of experience and they come up with this ?
it's obvious they aren't targeting team diving with these products, so i don't understand why you posted it in this forum.

also, seems to me that by publicly mocking that configuration, which very likely is similar in some ways to other tech divers' rigs, you are supporting the stereotype that GUE/UTD team divers are judgemental d-bags.

just my 2psi, though.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

spatman wrote:
kdupreez wrote:Here is an add on the back of "Alert Diver" for the Scubapro Tek line.. 40 years of experience and they come up with this ?
it's obvious they aren't targeting team diving with these products, so i don't understand why you posted it in this forum.

also, seems to me that by publicly mocking that configuration, which very likely is similar in some ways to other tech divers' rigs, you are supporting the stereotype that GUE/UTD team divers are judgemental d-bags.

just my 2psi, though.

While I'm not sure why he chose this forum, what does Koos have to do with GUE/UTD? http://www.stellardiving.com/Courses.aspx
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
chokolad
Avid Diver

Post by chokolad »

spatman wrote: also, seems to me that by publicly mocking that configuration, which very likely is similar in some ways to other tech divers' rigs, you are supporting the stereotype that GUE/UTD team divers are judgemental d-bags.

just my 2psi, though.
Have you just implied that current PADI TecRec instructor is a GUE/UTD judgemental d-bag? :rofl:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nwbrewer wrote:While I'm not sure why he chose this forum, what does Koos have to do with GUE/UTD? http://www.stellardiving.com/Courses.aspx
i was under the impression that koos' had at least taken Fundies, and he seems to be an ardent supporter of GUE.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

:popcorn:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

spatman wrote:
kdupreez wrote:..seems to me that by publicly mocking that configuration, which very likely is similar in some ways to other tech divers' rigs, you are supporting the stereotype that GUE/UTD team divers are judgemental d-bags.
Spats, not trying to publicly mock the configuration or the company, if that was the aim, I would have gone and posted it on scubaboard or the deco stop general diving section.. I appologize if this is how it comes across, for the record, I LOVE scubapro and they have great equipment.. especially regs, fins, wetsuits, recreational BCD's etc..

I am merely puzzled at the ultimate configuration of a company with 40 years of experience, putting out this as a hardcore Tec diving configuration.. Even as a PADI instructor (admittedly with some GUE influence) I wont allow students to dive with dangling flash lights, metal D-rings as quick disconnect tabs, crotch straps loop covering belt buckles and sewn-in non adjustable shoulder D-Rings.

My point is, I dont understand and I am frustrated at big name / brand companies coming to market with bull-crap like this without doing proper research and understanding the market they are entering (or in this case, entering again after previously failing at tec equipment..) and in my experience, people who buy stuff like this, eventually end up moving to other more applicable configurations, net resulting in wasting the consumer's money.

and yes, I guess you did just label a PADI TecRec instructor a "GUE/UTD judgemental d-bag" - Not sure if I should feel offended or flattered :luv:

mods are welcome to move this to "general tec diving"..
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

kdupreez wrote:Spats, not trying to publicly mock the configuration or the company, if that was the aim, I would have gone and posted it on scubaboard or the deco stop general diving section.. I appologize if this is how it comes across, for the record, I LOVE scubapro and they have great equipment.. especially regs, fins, wetsuits, recreational BCD's etc..
fair enough, koos. it just came across that way to me, magnified a bit by it being in this forum.

kdupreez wrote:and yes, I guess you did just label a PADI TecRec instructor a "GUE/UTD judgemental d-bag" - Not sure if I should feel offended or flattered :luv:
sorry, that wasn't my intent at all. i was aiming for "stereotypical judgmental d-bag with TecRec and GUE affliations". :neener:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I don't know Koos' resume by heart, but one time he posted this picture and it made me laugh.

"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

kdupreez wrote:
spatman wrote:
kdupreez wrote:..seems to me that by publicly mocking that configuration, which very likely is similar in some ways to other tech divers' rigs, you are supporting the stereotype that GUE/UTD team divers are judgemental d-bags.
Spats, not trying to publicly mock the configuration or the company, if that was the aim, I would have gone and posted it on scubaboard or the deco stop general diving section.. I appologize if this is how it comes across, for the record, I LOVE scubapro and they have great equipment.. especially regs, fins, wetsuits, recreational BCD's etc..

I am merely puzzled at the ultimate configuration of a company with 40 years of experience, putting out this as a hardcore Tec diving configuration.. Even as a PADI instructor (admittedly with some GUE influence) I wont allow students to dive with dangling flash lights, metal D-rings as quick disconnect tabs, crotch straps loop covering belt buckles and sewn-in non adjustable shoulder D-Rings.

My point is, I dont understand and I am frustrated at big name / brand companies coming to market with bull-crap like this without doing proper research and understanding the market they are entering (or in this case, entering again after previously failing at tec equipment..) and in my experience, people who buy stuff like this, eventually end up moving to other more applicable configurations, net resulting in wasting the consumer's money.

and yes, I guess you did just label a PADI TecRec instructor a "GUE/UTD judgemental d-bag" - Not sure if I should feel offended or flattered :luv:

mods are welcome to move this to "general tec diving"..
Are you serious? You're a PADI instructor and you wont allow a student to dive with sewn in d rings? Is there something in that configuration that will harm the student or yourself? :nutty:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote:people who buy stuff like this, eventually end up moving to other more applicable configurations, net resulting in wasting the consumer's money.
Since when is any company in the business of helping consumers be "efficient" with their money? Its all about buying gear over and over again baby!

(ok Tobin is an exception, he won't sell you stuff if he thinks its a misapplication and you'll have to buy something else soon)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

cardiver wrote:Are you serious? You're a PADI instructor and you wont allow a student to dive with sewn in d rings? Is there something in that configuration that will harm the student or yourself? :nutty:
Yup - I'm serious..

I have adopted a certain personal level of standard when teaching Tec classes and I can only give you my opinion on why I wont allow a student to use semi recrational gear in a Tec class. Its my class and I can prescribe required equipment and configurations as prerequisites before taking a class from me..

Sewn in D-rings can not be adjusted for proper positioning and in my experience, leading to people fighting with clipping lights, regs, deco bottles, etc. and building muscle memory that might not serve them in future. So, if and when people continue later on in their dive career into cave or other agencies or move between gear configurations, at least I have done my job to ensure they dont have to re-train themselves again. Same applies with light canister positioning, stacking deco bottles in a all-left configuration, standardized and team matched gasses, etc.

PADI also allows you to do TEC40 with a single tank and a pony bottle or a single tank with H-valve.. "best mix" gasses, etc. And I happen to not allow any of that either.. for the same reasons above..

None of this will probably kill you and I bet you there would be the odd chance that sewn-in D-Rings might be exactly perfect for some people and they might always dive Tec dives with a pony bottle or H-Valve and do that happily for years and years.. Nothing wrong with that and I'll happily go and dive with you.. But to make my life easier and safer during a class, I expect people to apply the same level of standards.

But, thats simply how I roll.. I have a number of things in my personal level of standards when teaching and I wont deviate from it..

If you want to learn how to Tec dive and want to do it with Semi recreational BCD's, pony bottles, H-valves, split fins, masks with purge valves, dangling flash lights, etc.. Sad to say, I might not be the right PADI Tec instructor for you..
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

kdupreez wrote: If you want to learn how to Tec dive and want to do it with Semi recreational BCD's, pony bottles, H-valves, split fins, masks with purge valves, dangling flash lights, etc.. Sad to say, I might not be the right PADI Tec instructor for you..
Damn..... I just got my new HUB and was gonna sign up for a tec course with ya... :(

Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

Waynne Fowler wrote: Damn..... I just got my new HUB and was gonna sign up for a tec course with ya... :(
Naw, Thats perfect, Go with it.
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

Waynne Fowler wrote: Image

Well hello there.... purdy piece of gear. You come here often?
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

The X-TEC catalog is online!

http://www.scubapro.com/tech/us/Tech-line-home.html

They only have 30lb and 60lb donut wings.. 30 is too small for cold water and 60 might be too big for HP100's, not sure though..

There is a local Scubapro seminar next weekend that I'll attend and they will have the X-Tek line there.. will snap some pics and bring good info back.

they do look like really good quality though, its same as Halcyon's nylon inner-bladder instead of rubber/plastic..

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Gotta love the cam band slots on a doubles wing, woot!
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Yeah, I will have a few questions at the seminar.. from earlier pics, the cam band slots in the wings did not even align with the stamped through cam band slots on the back plates.. Also, the online info states a "Tec inflator with stainless buttons".. AFAIK Halcyon tried that way back (i have one of those explorer wings) and it wasnt very well received in salt water. also the spools are listed with brass double enders instead of SS.. (but pictured with SS).

Should be an interesting session walking through the new Tec line with the SP rep.

SP makes awesome gear, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I see & touch the stuff.