Traveling yet keeping the faith...

Discuss Team Diving here.
dscuba
Aquaphile

Traveling yet keeping the faith...

Post by dscuba »

Can anyone offer some suggestions for travelling to a tropical area (I'm probably going to Hawaii) and still maintaining DIR-ness without bringing one's entire kit?

I'm thinking I will probably bring an aluminum BP, harness, wing(?), first stage reg with long hose and necklaced backup.

What other suggestions might people have?

Is a Yoke to DIN converter (so my DIN reg can attach to a Yoke tank) a must? Are there other things like this to keep in mind? I assume there are certain dive shops where one can rent DIR-like gear; is there any easy way to find these shops? (e.g. looking for GUE or other agency associated shops?)

Thanks,
-Dave
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Traveling yet keeping the faith...

Post by LCF »

Dave, it depends in part on which island you are visiting. On Oahu, there is a GUE-affiliated shop, where I think you'd probably be able to get DIN tanks. On Maui, you CAN get DIN tanks if you arrange it ahead of time, but B&B Scuba in Kihei is the only place I know of that will do it. DIN to Yoke converters are scarcer than hen's teeth, as we found out the time we forgot ours.

On the Big Island, you can dive with Sockmonkey, who, if he hasn't fallen totally into apostasy, is a reasonably DIR diver :)

Outside of Oahu, there is no real DIR presence in the islands that I know of.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames