DIR approach

Discuss Team Diving here.
json
Aquaphile

DIR approach

Post by json »

Just looking for little info on the UTD/GUE dives that go on here. I am about to finish up my PADI Dive master and would like to move on to another agency for higher diving education. I dive a 95% DIR kit already and love it, much more streamed lined . Just not ready to give up my Aries AI comp yet lol. I heard tweek dives happen Wednesday nights but I can not make those due to work. Any information would be appreciated,thanks.
Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Re: DIR approach

Post by sea2summit »

Why GUE? Lots of agencies out there to teach higher diving education that aren't cultish.
Kees
Avid Diver

Post by Kees »

If you would like to come out some time, just let me know! Not everyone can make our Wednesday dives. There are a number of us that like diving with people that are interested in further training. I'm sure more people will chime in.
"I can stop any time I want to."
-Airsix on scooter addiction
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

sea2summit wrote:Why GUE? Lots of agencies out there to teach higher diving education that aren't cultish.
I cannot speak for other agencies but my experience with the PADI system has not been entirely good. Just my opinion but it seems to be more about promoting tropical diving travel and gear sales. Which I understand, a dive shop has to make money keeping its doors open(most of the gear is useless underwater clutter). The training is like wam bam thank you for your money skills learned or not classes. Just my opinion from my experiences with PADI.
Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

Kees wrote:If you would like to come out some time, just let me know! Not everyone can make our Wednesday dives. There are a number of us that like diving with people that are interested in further training. I'm sure more people will chime in.
OK sounds good. I'm in the water every weekend/would be able to dive weekends except this weekend, DMing an OW class in the mornings.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

sea2summit wrote:Why GUE? Lots of agencies out there to teach higher diving education that aren't cultish.
Hey, watch the slander, there. This is the "Team Diving" section of the site, people are free to discuss whatever they want here, and the OP asked specifically about DIR. The word "cultish" is bound to start a flame war.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

It won't start a war if we all ignore it . . .

As Kees said, there are a quite a few of us around, and although the organized dives are Wednesday night, we dive other times, and weekends, too. Quite a few of us are happy to dive with anyone who's interested in the system.

In addition, the Monday Mukilteo dives have quite a few of Brian and Jeanna's UTD grads in them, and they're a welcoming bunch, too.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Before this goes any further, let's keep this thread well away from becoming a PADI vs GUE vs any other agency bashfest. The OP is interested in team diving and that is what this discussion is about.

Carry on.

edit: Josh beat me to it.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

To the OP, What are your goals? To improve you skills? To become an instructor? Tech diver? Where are you trying to get with this?
Dave Mitchell
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

Dmitchell wrote:To the OP, What are your goals? To improve you skills? To become an instructor? Tech diver? Where are you trying to get with this?
Improve my skills and get into tech down the road along with cave and wreck penetration.
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Post by sea2summit »

json wrote:
I cannot speak for other agencies but my experience with the PADI system has not been entirely good. Just my opinion but it seems to be more about promoting tropical diving travel and gear sales. Which I understand, a dive shop has to make money keeping its doors open(most of the gear is useless underwater clutter). The training is like wam bam thank you for your money skills learned or not classes. Just my opinion from my experiences with PADI.
I can agree with the points.

No slander intended, just spent some time diving close to their heart land and...cult. I showed up to a dive site with their gear and got basically kicked out because I didn't have their card. I think everyone that does a deco dive is or should be in a "team".

Anyway I'll see myself out.
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

Before this goes any farther I have dove with great divers from all agencies, I just feel the DIR approach for future training is for me. Not trying to start anything here or say who is better.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I would suggest you do your own research on a "team diving" approach rather than any one agency. Your instructor is way more important than the agency name on the card. The concept is very similar amongst most of the technical agencies. Go into it with open eyes and question everything you are told.

Then buy a rebreather. :supz:
Dave Mitchell
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

Dmitchell wrote:I would suggest you do your own research on a "team diving" approach rather than any one agency. Your instructor is way more important than the agency name on the card. The concept is very similar amongst most of the technical agencies. Go into it with open eyes and question everything you are told.

Then buy a rebreather. :supz:
I have done my homework, and you have a good with eyes wide open and instructor.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

sea2summit wrote:
json wrote:
I can agree with the points.

No slander intended, just spent some time diving close to their heart land and...cult. I showed up to a dive site with their gear and got basically kicked out because I didn't have their card. I think everyone that does a deco dive is or should be in a "team".

Anyway I'll see myself out.
That's too bad. The "DIR group" that meets on Wednesdays is one of the most welcoming groups I've ever had the pleasure of diving with . . . DIR or otherwise.
Kelly
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Kees wrote:If you would like to come out some time, just let me know! Not everyone can make our Wednesday dives. There are a number of us that like diving with people that are interested in further training. I'm sure more people will chime in.
DO THIS.
That is a full-caps Kees endorsement. He's fun and he's got his crap together 100%.

Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Json I see you're in Bremerton. I'm over by Harper/Southworth. I am happy to go diving with you once I'm back from FL on the 16th (although that weekend of the 17/18th is booked).

How about March 24th? I'll even take my boat out for you if its not a small craft advisory kinda day. I usually launch from Manchester. I can tell you where I'm at, how I got here, and you can decide for yourself whether my suggestions about good ways to get where you're going are worth considering. If not, no big deal we got out diving together. PM me if you want to talk more minus the peanut gallery.

Cheers
Richard
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Take Richard up on his offer! Richard's a very good mentor.

I'd also be very happy to dive with you if we can match schedules. I'm a dedicated evangelist . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

Thank you for all that have replied and I look forward to diving with you in the future.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

json wrote:Just looking for little info on the UTD/GUE dives that go on here. I am about to finish up my PADI Dive master and would like to move on to another agency for higher diving education. I dive a 95% DIR kit already and love it, much more streamed lined . Just not ready to give up my Aries AI comp yet lol. I heard tweek dives happen Wednesday nights but I can not make those due to work. Any information would be appreciated,thanks.
There are any number of options available in the local area that teach to high standards and follow a team approach.

The local GUE folks are well-represented here ... and many have spoken and offered.

Besides them, we have a fabulous local UTD instructor team in Brian (BDub) and Jeanna (Edge).

We also have Scott Christopher (vbcoachchris) who is a NAUI and TDI instructor who teaches both recreational and technical courses to a very high standard. Scott's approach is very similar to what you'd get in a GUE class in terms of standardized equipment, standardized gases, and an emphasis on developing strong team skills.

This is not north Florida ... we don't look at badges here ... we look at skills, attitudes, and a willingness to adopt a team mentality. I've been out on boats ... Scott's boat in particular ... where we had teams comprising NAUI, TDI, UTD and/or GUE trained divers all diving seamlessly together ... because we all decided that adopting high skills and team-oriented standards was more important than the acronym on your c-card. In many cases, we've taken classes from two or more of these agencies, and are familiar enough with standards that we're able to put a dive plan together that everyone's comfortable with.

Don't worry about agencies and acronyms ... that path just leads to discord. We have a lot of resources available here for someone who wants to pursue the team approach to diving, and it's not limited specifically to the two agencies who identify with the "D" word ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Grateful Diver wrote:This is not north Florida ... we don't look at badges here ... we look at skills, attitudes, and a willingness to adopt a team mentality. I've been out on boats ... Scott's boat in particular ... where we had teams comprising NAUI, TDI, UTD and/or GUE trained divers all diving seamlessly together ... because we all decided that adopting high skills and team-oriented standards was more important than the acronym on your c-card. In many cases, we've taken classes from two or more of these agencies, and are familiar enough with standards that we're able to put a dive plan together that everyone's comfortable with.

Don't worry about agencies and acronyms ... that path just leads to discord. We have a lot of resources available here for someone who wants to pursue the team approach to diving, and it's not limited specifically to the two agencies who identify with the "D" word ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Good stuff, and well said Bob! And may we never become North Florida...

If the attitude you described is encouraged, embraced, and practiced the entire PNW Dive Community will be richer because of it!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Tom Nic wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:This is not north Florida ... we don't look at badges here ... we look at skills, attitudes, and a willingness to adopt a team mentality. I've been out on boats ... Scott's boat in particular ... where we had teams comprising NAUI, TDI, UTD and/or GUE trained divers all diving seamlessly together ... because we all decided that adopting high skills and team-oriented standards was more important than the acronym on your c-card. In many cases, we've taken classes from two or more of these agencies, and are familiar enough with standards that we're able to put a dive plan together that everyone's comfortable with.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Good stuff, and well said Bob! And may we never become North Florida...

If the attitude you described is encouraged, embraced, and practiced the entire PNW Dive Community will be richer because of it!
It is encouraged and embraced ... and the entire PNW Dive Community is much better off than it was 10 years ago because of it.

We have people right here on this board ... some participating in this thread ... who have put significant effort into making the community more inclusive, and far less divisive than it was when I started diving in 2001. I've watched it, encouraged it, helped it when I could, and cheered on the people who are still making it happen.

I couldn't have been happier than when I heard that a local PADI instructor ... a guy who works for our largest local dive store chain ... is becoming a GUE instructor. One of our most vocal DIR advocates is a PADI divemaster. Several of us who teach at the entry level ... PADI, NAUI and SSI instructors ... have all taken some level of GUE class, and emphasize team skills starting at the OW level.

It's not because we're interested in being part of a "cult" ... it's a recognition that this style of diving is a good fit ... and a valid option ... for those who want to adopt it for diving here.

We are a community ... all anybody has to do is show up at one of our local NWDC club dives to see it in action. One of my favorite pictures is one that Spatman took at one of those dives a coupla years back ...

That's who we are ... this is us ... a community. Let's not allow something as silly as an acronym on a c-card turn us into something less ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

Bob I whole heartly agree with your statement about looking at skills and diving attitude. I have not and will not discredit any other divers regardless of their training backgrounds if they have the attributes listed above. For me a lot of my decisions are based on training time and standerds to complete coures. I'm not saying you can't be a safe diver doing a weekend deco/advanced nitrox course then diving with a more experianced buddy, but for me. Its repetition untill you cannot move anymore then more repetition. I'm a big supporter of the muscle memory system so when your to tired or too stressed to think straight you can still function under any circumstance. Guess my old military days still come into play, saved my life once it sure will again. I am in no means discrediting you or any other experianced diver who has given me advice on here. It all helps and makes me think about and understand people's different views and approaches that work for them. Got to run works calling lol.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

json wrote:Bob I whole heartly agree with your statement about looking at skills and diving attitude. I have not and will not discredit any other divers regardless of their training backgrounds if they have the attributes listed above. For me a lot of my decisions are based on training time and standerds to complete coures. I'm not saying you can't be a safe diver doing a weekend deco/advanced nitrox course then diving with a more experianced buddy, but for me. Its repetition untill you cannot move anymore then more repetition. I'm a big supporter of the muscle memory system so when your to tired or too stressed to think straight you can still function under any circumstance. Guess my old military days still come into play, saved my life once it sure will again. I am in no means discrediting you or any other experianced diver who has given me advice on here. It all helps and makes me think about and understand people's different views and approaches that work for them. Got to run works calling lol.
By no means do I feel discredited. What I'm saying is go for it ... and don't let someone else's negativity influence your decision to take your diving in whatever direction you feel is best for you.

You're in a great place to find the support you are looking for ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

Grateful Diver wrote:
json wrote:Bob I whole heartly agree with your statement about looking at skills and diving attitude. I have not and will not discredit any other divers regardless of their training backgrounds if they have the attributes listed above. For me a lot of my decisions are based on training time and standerds to complete coures. I'm not saying you can't be a safe diver doing a weekend deco/advanced nitrox course then diving with a more experianced buddy, but for me. Its repetition untill you cannot move anymore then more repetition. I'm a big supporter of the muscle memory system so when your to tired or too stressed to think straight you can still function under any circumstance. Guess my old military days still come into play, saved my life once it sure will again. I am in no means discrediting you or any other experianced diver who has given me advice on here. It all helps and makes me think about and understand people's different views and approaches that work for them. Got to run works calling lol.
By no means do I feel discredited. What I'm saying is go for it ... and don't let someone else's negativity influence your decision to take your diving in whatever direction you feel is best for you.

You're in a great place to find the support you are looking for ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob thank you, we see eye to eye.