Team diving in the Florida Panhandle

Discuss Team Diving here.
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Team diving in the Florida Panhandle

Post by Kalatin »

Well, after almost three years of producing (very cute) children, I am dusting off the dive gear and getting back in the water. Being risk averse with two small people at home, I can't imagine doing so without getting a good dive refresher. Does anyone have any recommendations on instructors in the Florida panhandle (near Destin) that are team oriented and won't laugh at me too much?
Thanks in advance,
Kate
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
BDub
I've Got Gills

Re: Team diving in the Florida Panhandle

Post by BDub »

Kalatin wrote:Well, after almost three years of producing (very cute) children, I am dusting off the dive gear and getting back in the water. Being risk averse with two small people at home, I can't imagine doing so without getting a good dive refresher. Does anyone have any recommendations on instructors in the Florida panhandle (near Destin) that are team oriented and won't laugh at me too much?
Thanks in advance,
Kate
Awesome!

(no recommendations, but so happy to hear you're looking to splash again, Kate!)
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Just an OW refresher, I thought you might have been cavern too?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

No cavern, but once I get comfortable again I hear that Marianna is only an hour or so down the road and the temptation may be too much to resist.
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I know Marcoux has spoken briefly to Heather Armstrong, who is in Pensacola. Heather's a very good teacher and a really neat woman -- you would like her. She is chickdiver on SB and Blondie on Dive Matrix.

If you can't work with her or she doesn't want to do a refresher, consider talking to Rob Neto and his wife, Jen. They are not DIR but they are cave divers, and they're good friends of mine. Long hose setups aren't unfamiliar :) Rob has a really good reputation as an instructor (ask Bob, he's taken a class from him). He goes by Dive-aholic on SB and RN on the tech diving boards.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Kalatin wrote:No cavern, but once I get comfortable again I hear that Marianna is only an hour or so down the road and the temptation may be too much to resist.
The cavern at Jackson Blue is seriously gorgeous, you owe it to yourself to get in (and look out towards the entrance) sometime.

I don't think Heather teaches much but she'd be my suggestion if possible.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Howdy Kate ...

Yanno I was just thinking about you a few days ago and wondering how you're doing. Glad to hear you're getting back into diving.

Give Rob Neto a shout ... he's up in Marianna. I took a sidemount class from him last year and he's awesome!

http://chipoladivers.com/

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome back to diving, Kate! I'm glad you got to make a couple of adorable babies, but I'm also glad you get to dive again!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

NW Dive Club magic strikes again. Turns out all I needed was Sounder (I can't believe I just said that) and Facebook to make it happen. The gear gets dropped off tomorrow and will hopefully be back in the water in just a few weeks. Now I am off to the garage to fondle dive gear.