My Experience with GUEs DIR Fundamentals Class last weekend

Discuss Team Diving here.
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

My Experience with GUEs DIR Fundamentals Class last weekend

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Last weekend Diver_C and I took the DIR Fundamentals class casually referred to as “Fundies”. Of the 2 of us, I am definitely the cheap one… can’t help it, it’s in my blood. I cringed, and will still feel the pinch of the about $550.00 in total cost that the class took me to take. One of the pre-reqs is that you have DAN insurance of a certain level, and I didn’t, so I am including that cost, plus the $50.00 it cost to register with GUE. OK, enough with the money.

What I can say is that I got way more than my money’s worth out of the class and in Steve White’s time. Typically, the Fundamentals class is a 3 day’er, but we had a total of 5 people, so it turned into a 4 day event. We began on Friday at 9:00 am with the how’s, why’s, and wherefore’s of DIR. This was followed by all of us getting our gear together and discussing philosophically DIRs configuration. We then went to the pool for the obligatory swim test… I can tell you, I need to get more exercise. I went home at 8:30 a little tired.

Saturday we got together at Alki Cove 2 at 9:00 am and were greeted with a small contingent of a Naui O/W class from Oregon complete with travel trailer. Luckily, we were far enough away from them to avoid the silt, not that we weren’t kicking up some of our own. Vis was in general about 10 ft. The itinerary went something like this. Talk diving, dive with poor skills, talk about improving skills over lunch, dive demonstrating a different set of poor skills, head back to Dive Shop to talk about how to improve those skills, view more information on skills over dinner and through the night. I went home at 10:00 pm.

Sunday we convened at Cove 2 at 8:30 am and were again greeted by the Oregon group. It’s always somewhat comical to see new O/W diver trudging into the water with holey wet boots and BCs that have seen better days. It was raining in the morning, cold all day, and vis was about 5 to 10 ft… truly some of the worst snot I have ever seen. The itinerary was much the same as the previous day albeit with different skills followed up by time at the shop discussing dive planning and diving various gas mixes, CNS toxicity and the like. We did have an interesting encounter with a beach goer’ that walked up and asked us “if we knew the quickest way to kill ourselves.” We replied no, and she proceeded to tell us that it was through CO2. True, but very strange. I expected that she was going to pull out her heat and start firing any minute. I went home around 10:00 am. I’m actually not too sure of the time as by this point, it started to seem to be one constant training session. It was at this point that I was relatively sure that I wasn’t passing the class and was hoping for a provisional.

Monday we met at Cove 2… again. We met at 9:00 am and began discussing material in a local sandwich shop that we had failed to get through the evening before. We had to go through a few more skills with post analysis. Before the second dive, we performed an entire pre-dive plan complete with goals and objectives, and minimum gas calculations et al. Following the final dive, we did individual assessments with Steve, who at this point must have been extremely worn out in his own right. Each assessment took about 20 min. I left around 8:00, and the last guy left after 10:00. My class result was much as I expected… a provisional. I feel pretty good about this rating and was pleased with my performance in some areas and displeased with others.

I learned more in this class than in my OW, or AOW. I also believe I improved my diving more in 6 dives than I have all year in about 50. I’m not some newly converted DIR convert preaching the gospel, but I do think there is much value in what the organization has to teach. We had one interesting encounter with what appeared to be a fairly experienced diver coming out of the water with stuff hanging all over him. He asked if we were doing OW class and we told him that we were doing DIR Fundies. Steve asked him if he had ever heard of it, and he said “Oh yeah, I’ve heard of you guys… you don’t all look the same though.” Steve took it in stride. He’s apparently fielded this type of conversation before.

I can’t thank Steve enough for the time, dedication and knowledge that he contributed to the class. I think he may want to re-evaluate what he charges considering what he poured into it. I was impressed with his diving, knowledge, demeanor and organization. I think having said that, some of you who have been considering taking this class should sign up before he realizes he should raise the rate. Take this from someone who’s about as thrifty as they come; it was worth every penny and then some.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Adron, you did a great job! The class was much more fun with you in it. Now we just need to fire up the incinerator for your dry suit. :violent3:
lamont
I've Got Gills

Re: My Experience with GUEs DIR Fundamentals Class last week

Post by lamont »

Sergeant Pepper wrote:We did have an interesting encounter with a beach goer’ that walked up and asked us “if we knew the quickest way to kill ourselves.” We replied no, and she proceeded to tell us that it was through CO2. True, but very strange.
global warming CO2 or hypercapnia CO2?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re: My Experience with GUEs DIR Fundamentals Class last week

Post by Tangfish »

lamont wrote:
Sergeant Pepper wrote:We did have an interesting encounter with a beach goer’ that walked up and asked us “if we knew the quickest way to kill ourselves.” We replied no, and she proceeded to tell us that it was through CO2. True, but very strange.
global warming CO2 or hypercapnia CO2?
CO2 cartridges, fired at extremely high speeds.
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

She said something about injecting CO2 into our tanks. It's a good thing my car was locked and she wasn't toting a CO2 compressor.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

A very nice report, thanks for posting. About the only thing I'd request is that you don't suggest to Steve that he raise his rates too much . . . RecTriox is in my future at some point.

That being said, I agree completely, the training with him is a bargain at twice the price. I'm about 20 dives past fundies now, and I'm just starting to fully understand the benefits.

Congrats on making it through the weekend, and welcome to the ranks of the provisionals :partyman:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I was stunned at the amount of time Steve spent with our Fundies class, and again with Rec Triox. He makes about $10 an hour per student with these classes, and I personally won't work for those wages!

Not only that, but he pours his energy into his students, if they're willing to work. I spent the whole afternoon in the water with him today. We did two dives, one pure skills, and one RecTriox type scenarios. He has such a knack for throwing just enough stuff at you to show you where you're weak, without overdoing it and demoralizing you or creating any serious problems.

I just spent five days in LA, doing some of the most incredible diving I've done to date, and the reason it was as much fun and went as smoothly as it did was the skills I've acquired through my GUE training. Whether you drink the KoolAid or not, nailing buoyancy, maintaining trim and position when task-loaded, being able to do accurate ascents in your sleep, and knowing your emergency procedures are well-honed and crisp contributes to making every dive, anywhere, just more fun.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Had to have been long days ... Jay stayed at my house while he took the class, and I barely saw him ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

Sounds like an awesome class. Thanks for the report. :)
--
Ron Hines
Naui OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox
lostnbrownsmead
Avid Diver

Second time around and I got a provisional yea!!

Post by lostnbrownsmead »

I completed my second class with Steve and I got a Provisional. yea!!!
I learned a whole lot. A great class and Steve is a great instructor. I am looking forward to finishing the class. Sargeant Pepper and Diver_C it was great diving with you. Thanks Bob for a place to stay.

Jay
Lost some where called Brownsmead
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

lostnbrownsmead wrote:I completed my second class with Steve and I got a Provisional. yea!!!
Yay!!!!! Great job Jay!!!!