Sund Rock 11/18 EPIC

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Sund Rock 11/18 EPIC

Post by theonly_JT »

Went down to Sund Rock with Bradmond, djmcmath, and Hoodsport_diver today and man was it a doozy. :calvin:

Met up at 8 at the dive shop got our passes and headed to Sund Rock, Geared up and splashed at 9:20. Water was clear and cold, just the way I like it :taco: First dive was fantastic, saw some cool things down deep then waited for Hoodsport diver to join the party. Dive #2 produced the highlight of the day: watching a seal go after a school of fish! Sadly only got a really short video clip and like 1 decent picture :angry:
GOPR5413-0001.jpg

Saw all the usual suspects; squat lobsters, nudis, wolf eels (small one even came out to play.. sort of), sea whips and tons of rockfish. I had never been to the wreck so we headed over there to have a look. Sadly djmcmath was having suit problems and didnt stay for the 3rd dive.

Much thanks to bradmond for planning!
A+ day at the rock.
Attachments
GOPR5425-0001.jpg
GOPR5415-0001.jpg
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Sund Rock 11/18 EPIC

Post by ScubaJess »

Very cool!! Glad you guys had fun! I miss y'all and the Squats too!! :eric: :taco: :partydance:

Did you guys stop by Hoodsport Coffee? That place is so good! :luv: :burntchef:
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

w00t!!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wow! That is so cool!!! Especially the seal and school of fish pic! And the viz looked amazing!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Hoodsport_Diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by Hoodsport_Diver »

:partydance: It was a great day. Lots of sun, good viz and plenty of life. Watching that seal chase the bait ball was a first for me. It went on for >5min. That little guy was fast and agile, but the entire school was able to avoid him.

It had been months since I visited the wreck and was quite pleased to see the amount of life congregated around it. We didn't see the huge lingcod, but the wreck was alive with juvenile surfperch. We even saw aquatic birds diving to try and catch them.

The wolf eels have pretty much taken over the North Wall and we saw more than we could count. The visibility helped the Fish Bowl (crown of the North Wall) live up to its name.

Sorry for djmcmath - he missed a great dive, but been cold is no fun...

Big thanks to bradmond for arranging the day and for providing freshly brewed coffee (Kurig powered from his generator) and BBQ hamburgers. He raised the bar for dive buddies. :partydance:

I hope to see you all at the Club Dive on Dec 9.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hoodsport_Diver
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

What kind of fish were in the bait ball? Shiner Perch? Herring? Candlefish?
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

wow SOUNDS EPIC!!! Brad is such a great dive buddy!!! You guys are awesome!! Hope to dive with yall soon!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

Had a great time Saturday at Sund Rock. Other than Dan's leak, everything went perfect. A fun day of diving at a fantastic site with great dive buddies. What more can we ask for?
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

And here is a video I put together from Sund Rock and other recent dives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMpTf3RSwyU
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice Video!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

JT, that video was fantastic!!
Hoodsport_Diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by Hoodsport_Diver »

Tom Nic wrote:What kind of fish were in the bait ball? Shiner Perch? Herring? Candlefish?
Herring
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hoodsport_Diver
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Looks like a great time. Nice video JT. The seal behavior was a great capture!
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X