Maui Trip report and photos...

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Maui Trip report and photos...

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Well we survived the trip back from Maui. Unfortunately there was a rather large north swell coming in the week we were there and the surf was up pretty good. This made shore diving rather difficult and the visibility was horrible at only 20-30'. :laughing3: :laughing3: However, out on the boat, the vis cleared up to its usual 100+ and all was well. We were only able to get on the boat for two days. Our first trip was out to Molokini to do the back wall and the fishbowl. However, due to the high swells and the incoming 25K+ winds, the captain called the dive and turned the boat around half way there and headed to more protected harbors. We dove the Carthaginian wreck and the shark pit. Both were rather mediocre dives but then again, we were in Hawaii so every time your in the water it was spectacular!
Day two took us out to the island of Lanai'i. We were blessed with a calm morning and glassy seas. We were able to do both cathedrals with 100+ vis the entire day.
The look on my daughters face when she finally got to dive in that blue, blue water was a moment I will not forget.

Here are a few pics we took at the cathedrals.
Attachments
maui 9.jpg
maui 8.jpg
maui 7.jpg
maui 6.jpg
maui 5.jpg
maui 4.jpg
maui 3.jpg
maui 2.jpg
maui 1.jpg
ImageDisp.aspx.jpg
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Re: Maui Trip report and photos...

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Those are some awesome pictures Cory! I really like the one of the school of butterfly fish.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Nice wide angle shots ..... the colors are astounding !! ... glad to hear you and your family had a wonderful time
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

To bad the viz was crap Cory, dont worry, maybe next time

sigh
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Beautiful pics Cory, thanks for telling the story.

Although when you began talking about the crappy viz and conditions I was expecting lots worse! Boy, I wish we could just take a boat ride offshore and go from 20' viz to 100'.

Double Sigh...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Looks like you had a great trip! :partydance:
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Tom Nic wrote:Beautiful pics Cory, thanks for telling the story.

Although when you began talking about the crappy viz and conditions I was expecting lots worse! Boy, I wish we could just take a boat ride offshore and go from 20' viz to 100'.

Double Sigh...
LOL... yea it is amazing. We tried to do a shore dive our first day there, but there were 5-6' waves crashing in to the shore and the sand was really getting stirred up. Anything less than about 30' and it felt like you were in a washing machine. I gave up trying to take any photographs after my head got slammed into the rocks for the 3rd time. But yea,... get offshore and that blue blue blue brilliant water comes back.....Now if you could just throw all the life we have here into that blue water it would be paradise.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Lovely butterfly fish shots!

I hope conditions next week are a bit friendlier . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Beautiful Photos. I love those butterfly fish. While we were in Maui last February, both our boat dive trips were cancelled due to high winds. It's great that you were able to get in some diving. Thanks for sharing.
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
Metal man
Aquaphile

Post by Metal man »

Wow! Your shots are terrific! :thumb3d:
Gabe ~D.I.A.W.Y.C. Diver
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Nice photos. Thanks for posting.

Yeah, I do get a kick out of the local definition of "poor vis".

In a way even though I'm glad you got to dive I'm a bit jealous. I toted my stuff over, couldn't dive due to the swells, then got sick including difficulty breathing, now feel better but swells are back and forecast to be here until I leave. Oh well.....

Glad you had a good time. Frankly, Hawaii diving is my favorite and on a total cost basis including transportation comparatively inexpensive.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.