Lake Washington Wreck Dives

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Lake Washington Wreck Dives

Post by CaptnJack » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:36 am

well this thread is a blast from the past :p
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.

Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:09 pm

CaptnJack wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:23 am
Nwbrewer wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Windermere Park in Wolf Bay is gated & private so there's no shore access. I know one of the homeowners there so I theoretically <could> get the gate opened, but its easier to just use a boat.
I wasn't sure how for "just south" of the boat ramp was, as there is shore access at the park that we've used there before in the winter. There's not much to see, mainly golf balls and crawdads. (oh, and beer cans)
The "wolf bay" wreck is on chart 18447. Its way way too far to swim from Magnusen. Its probably scooterable from Windermere Park but the gate (a people gate not just a car gate) makes that pretty impractable. How about getting your boat out to Discovery Bay for the Warhawk on Feb 13th?
We scooted the Wolf Bay wreck today from Magnussen. Quite doable, about a 30 min run at speed 3 on a cuda. Found a couple of unmarked wrecks as well - a number of rock piles and large fish to boot. Great viz lately!

Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:46 pm

loanwolf wrote:
Burntchef wrote:
loanwolf wrote:Howie needs to advertise them better many do not hear about them that would go. That actually goes for all the charter companies. i love it in CA the CA Dive News prints a 2 month schedule for all the charter boats.

is he doing anything in the lake? lets put something together on the p4y :burntchef:

I am game for anything in the lake who else is?

going to start a new thread in the tech section
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ

loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:43 pm

Burntchef wrote:
loanwolf wrote:Howie needs to advertise them better many do not hear about them that would go. That actually goes for all the charter companies. i love it in CA the CA Dive News prints a 2 month schedule for all the charter boats.

is he doing anything in the lake? lets put something together on the p4y :burntchef:

I am game for anything in the lake who else is?
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.

Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:36 pm

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ

loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:26 pm

Burntchef wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Windermere Park in Wolf Bay is gated & private so there's no shore access. I know one of the homeowners there so I theoretically <could> get the gate opened, but its easier to just use a boat.

I wasn't sure how for "just south" of the boat ramp was, as there is shore access at the park that we've used there before in the winter. There's not much to see, mainly golf balls and crawdads. (oh, and beer cans)

The "wolf bay" wreck is on chart 18447. Its way way too far to swim from Magnusen. Its probably scooterable from Windermere Park but the gate (a people gate not just a car gate) makes that pretty impractable. How about getting your boat out to Discovery Bay for the Warhawk on Feb 13th?

Ok, gottcha. I may try and get the boat out into the lake this weekend, might try and do a shallow wreck or 2 as long as I'm at it.

Not sure about the 13th, I think I'm supposed to be out of town. I'll check with my travel coordinator.

jake you can always count me in for a lake dive. i wish there were more people into lake diving, then small charters on howies boat would be a easy fill.

Howie needs to advertise them better many do not hear about them that would go. That actually goes for all the charter companies. i love it in CA the CA Dive News prints a 2 month schedule for all the charter boats.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.

Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:17 pm

Nwbrewer wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:

Ok, gottcha. I may try and get the boat out into the lake this weekend, might try and do a shallow wreck or 2 as long as I'm at it.

Not sure about the 13th, I think I'm supposed to be out of town. I'll check with my travel coordinator.

jake you can always count me in for a lake dive. i wish there were more people into lake diving, then small charters on howies boat would be a easy fill.

Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:29 pm

John Rawlings wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:So Im curious. Why is the lake so clouded? I understand that there is a lot of runoff but without any real current and the size of that lake, one would think that if you stayed away from the river inlets you would get some pretty good vis. I haven't dove in fresh water since I was in Idaho, but we had several lakes that had quite good vis. Is there a monster major tributary that I am missing somewhere?

Inquiring minds wanna know....

Think HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of sewers and septic tanks, coupled with with storm water run-off and no major outlet..... :huge:

There's a reason that people get skin rashes and diseases each year from swimming in Lake Washington.

Well there goes my desire to dive in the lake! Thanks John! :crybaby:

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:36 pm

Very few septic tanks anymore in the nearshore. The darkness is mostly a function of the tannins in the water (think about how many Cedar trees are in the watershed. To a lessor degree silt and the seasonal bloom & dieoff of phytoplankton.

Nutrient-wise Lake Washington is vastly cleaner (and clearer) than it was 50yrs ago. For a toxics perspective there are some lingering issues, like the current DOH fish advisory for bioaccumulative PCBs http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/oehas/fish/co ... Washington
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Jaksonbrown wrote:So Im curious. Why is the lake so clouded? I understand that there is a lot of runoff but without any real current and the size of that lake, one would think that if you stayed away from the river inlets you would get some pretty good vis. I haven't dove in fresh water since I was in Idaho, but we had several lakes that had quite good vis. Is there a monster major tributary that I am missing somewhere?

Think HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of sewers and septic tanks, coupled with with storm water run-off and no major outlet..... :huge:

There's a reason that people get skin rashes and diseases each year from swimming in Lake Washington.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Sounder wrote:
I don't have a whole lot of interest in the shallow lake stuff, and won't go below 80ffw or so in the lake without helium... even last time I was at 120ffw on 25/25 I was creeped out. It's "weird-creepy-dark" down there to me even with a 50w HID and a rockstar team.

:prayer:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:21 pm

Not sure on the vis, but the silt at the bottom just doesn't really move - so much of it is "suspended" in the water column... which is why people often crash into the ground.

I don't have a whole lot of interest in the shallow lake stuff, and won't go below 80ffw or so in the lake without helium... even last time I was at 120ffw on 25/25 I was creeped out. It's "weird-creepy-dark" down there to me even with a 50w HID and a rockstar team.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!

Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:14 pm

So Im curious. Why is the lake so clouded? I understand that there is a lot of runoff but without any real current and the size of that lake, one would think that if you stayed away from the river inlets you would get some pretty good vis. I haven't dove in fresh water since I was in Idaho, but we had several lakes that had quite good vis. Is there a monster major tributary that I am missing somewhere?

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:50 pm

CaptnJack wrote:Looks like its about 1/3rd of a Nm (~2000ft) from the park. Little less than 15mins of scooter time.

Better to just boat it.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:40 pm

Looks like its about 1/3rd of a Nm (~2000ft) from the park. Little less than 15mins of scooter time.

H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:28 pm

i have 3 swimming pool client in windermere... so just let me know and we can do this as a dive ... 2 on Penrith Road
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:25 pm

Nwbrewer wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Yeah but you're a chicken (your own words there...) Look at Jake he can't get enough of the lake, no current, no vis, no current...

Its an aquired taste and I haven't aquired it. Although now is the time to go before the jetskis and waterskiers get going.

I just like collecting golf balls.... \:D/

You have obviously never been to 3Tree North.

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:17 am

CaptnJack wrote:Yeah but you're a chicken (your own words there...) Look at Jake he can't get enough of the lake, no current, no vis, no current...

Its an aquired taste and I haven't aquired it. Although now is the time to go before the jetskis and waterskiers get going.

I just like collecting golf balls.... \:D/

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:03 am

Yeah but you're a chicken (your own words there...) Look at Jake he can't get enough of the lake, no current, no vis, no current...

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:58 am

It would be my opinion that diving wrecks in the lake is not something for beginners at all. I did two dives there in early 2006, and they were so stressful that I've never gone back. It's taken several years of heavy-duty training in the dark to make me brave enough to try again :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:31 am

CaptnJack wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:

boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:26 am

Nwbrewer wrote: I wasn't sure how for "just south" of the boat ramp was

The "just south" was probably a poor choice of words on my part (sorry). The Wolf Bay Wreck is about a mile south of the boat ramp in Wolf Bay (and on the Chart as Richard indicated above). Too far to swim/scooter and much easier in a boat.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:23 am

Nwbrewer wrote:

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:16 am

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:00 am

Windermere Park in Wolf Bay is gated & private so there's no shore access. I know one of the homeowners there so I theoretically <could> get the gate opened, but its easier to just use a boat.