Inspired and Humbled

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Inspired and Humbled

Post by Sockmonkey »

I dove with an 80 year old dude yesterday morning. The Kohala Coast Shore Dive Club (I just made that up... we don' t actually have a club per se) met for our pre-work morning dive in many months. We decided to dive Paniau because someone was bringing a friend with mobility issues. That friend was 80 years old and celebrating his 500th dive. I refrained from getting on my hands and knees Wayne and Garth style and declaring how unworthy I was. Bill is not only 80 but a two time cancer survivor. He has some form of salivary gland cancer and hasn't had a solid meal since April of last year. He looks freaking great. Bill drove to the site, donned his gear, and walked into the water unassisted. I was officially inspired and completely humbled watching him gear up.

It also turns out that Bill is tester for Sea and Sea cameras. A few years ago his daughter was visiting the Big Island and left her underwater camera for him to use. He had some sort of technical problem and ended up talking to the founder/owner/inventor. After being sent a new camera and other things to try and fix his problem he ended up with a fancy new camera rig. The guy from Sea and Sea liked Bill so much that he is one of the first people to see their new products before it hits the market. Bill critiques everything they do including proof reading manuals. He is now my official hero. Now that I know where he lives we're planning on going over and talking cameras with him now and then. I could tell he was thrilled to get out, talk stories, and dive. He couldn't stress enough how much he wanted folks to drop by and visit.

The other less interesting thing that happened on this dive is I finally decided to try and white balance this stupid canon camera from work. Except that I forgot the strokey slate I own. I managed to stop a dive buddy and try and use the VIP sticker on his tank. That sorta worked until we changed depth. Then I tried using my sk7 which didn't work at all and turned all my photos into a martial lanedscape. Either way finally I have some non blue photos to show even if the color is off and they're all washed out. They still look like utter ass but I don't care... I use them to show how much fun I have diving and not to win any photo contests. (read: no need for a photography lesson) Some of the photos look like colorized Ted Turner film and I'm really at peace with that.

I also found a fun feature of this camera (and SD970IS btw) to take continuos photos while you hold down the button. I think down the road this may help me take some photos of something other than fish butts.

A perfect morning for diving in Puako

Did I mention Bill was 80?

Clearly a Seattle diver

You put the lime in the coconut and then you feel better

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Waiting for the bus?

Gloomy Nudibranch: Before hitting the white balance button

Pony boy stays golden while chasing fish

Jax waiting for whales

Fishy!

Cavy wavy

Blue fishies

The rest of the white balance experiment set can be found here.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: Inspired and Humbled

Post by airsix »

:supz:
I always like your reports.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

let's dive with bill while i'm there.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

good times ....Goodtimes By all.. Vis was Nice , Lots of yellow tangs , and some nice Butterfly fishes Too , thanks Sockmonkey
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Awesome report and good choice on heroes, Mr. Monkey!

Woot woot!
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

i met my hero on the liveaboard in the similans, 63 and 66 this couple have been diving for over 30 years all over the world. one night over a few beers me, and ken drilled them with wild and exotic locations and they had pretty much been to everyone of them multiple times. long retired they pretty much go from liveaboard to liveaboard at whim. they have become my rolemodels on how to live a happy life.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

heres to you francois and monique :mmmbeer:
Attachments
305.JPG
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Burntchef wrote:heres to you francois and monique :mmmbeer:
This couple we met on the M/V Diverace has spent the last 30 years traveling the world diving together. We did our best to stump them with a location they have not been to in all their years but the only one I could come up with was the Seychelles. They have been EVERYWHERE! (twice it seemed)

I can only hope that my wife Jenya and I get to do and see as much as these two have over the years.