Cape Lookout, Oregon Coast

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Cape Lookout, Oregon Coast

Post by ORDiver »

The Ocean was about as calm as it ever gets off of Oregon yesterday with 3' swells and almost no wind waves so we took Stan's (no excuses) RIB out of Tillamook Bay and made the 45 min. jaunt down the coast past Three Arch Rocks to Cape Lookout and did two dives on the south side. This was my first trip out here and my first ocean dive in the northwest. Fun time.

Dove out towards the end of the cape along the wall on the first dive. Lots of Green Anenomes and Red Urchin on the wall along with a large assortment of sponges and even some Plumose. The water was completely infested with tiny invertebrates (krill?) in multiple areas which dropped the vis down to about 5' from the normal 15' to 20'. The bottom (about 30' max) structure in this area consisted of an assortment of medium to large size boulders with a decent amount of encrusted invertebrate life on them. A lot of fish out towards the end of the cape with an assortment of lings, black rocks and big kelp greenling further in. Nice dive with cool structure. It was kind of fun riding along with the surge in some areas.

Decided to dive straight down from the boat about 150' off the wall for the second dive and make a square pattern in towards shore then north to the wall and back. This area was quite impressive. It bottomed out between 50 and 60' with huge boulders completely encrusted with life. Lost count of how many urchins and anemone there were along with huge gumboot chitons, opalescent, yellow margin, and leopard nudis, a large assortment of syphons and sponges, tons of tiny to large crabs, one octo (that we saw) and a bunch of sculpins, black rocks, lings and one angry cabezon. The wall seemed to be much livelier a bit further in towards shore too. This "marine garden" area was definitely the better of the two areas to dive and should be really amazing later in summer when the bull kelp is full size. Great dive.

The wind picked up and the ocean got a bit wilder for the trip back to Tillamook and we had a fun time bouncing back through the 5 to 6' swell with some nice white caps. We arrived back at the dock a little won out from diving in the surge and holding on to the boat on the way back but with smiles all around. Good time. :sunny:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Cape Lookout, Oregon Coast

Post by spatman »

sounds like a great day! any pics?
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Nope, gotta work on that.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I appreciate the report from the coastal areas - areas I've wondered about. Seems like they can only be dived safely and fruitfully in a fairly narrow window of conditions.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Yeah, it's pretty much summer diving on the coast and then when you only have weekends available it makes it hard to get out there sometimes. I plan to take advantage of the good times as much as I can this summer to do some exploring out there.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

ORDiver wrote: when you only have weekends available it makes it hard to get out there sometimes. I plan to take advantage of the good times as much as I can this summer to do some exploring out there.
I hear you on that one Dave.

the sound and canal in the winter and the coast in the summer :boucegreen: