Flag Pole and Pinacle with Captain GEO!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Flag Pole and Pinacle with Captain GEO!

Post by BASSMAN »

Hutch and I joined up with Geo for a couple of dives off his boat on Thursday, 9/2/10.
I wont bore you with too much detail, since we have no pictures to document these spectacular dives.
1st dive:
Flag Pole (Hood Canal), I've dove this site once by Zodiak, Twice by shore (same day) and now finally from a big boat!
pulling up, hooking up to the Dive Marker was fantastic! Took Hutch down and showed him the Yellow Sponge and some of the other usual critters. There are some Monster sized Wolfies there! :supz:

2nd dive:
1st time diving "The Pinacle" Just as Geo told us, there was a huge school of Vermilion Rockfish, I counted at least 30.
And some of them were Huge! Then we encountered some E.U.P. sized Ling Cod! Vis at both sites was about 15' or 20' at depth and was only obstructed by the mass amounts of Brine Shrimp or whatever you want to call them. I just think..."Krill?"
"When is the Whale going to show up?"
we ran short on time so we did not get a third dive in but if you ever get an offer to dive off of this boat? Do it!
It has a double hull and twin 150 Yamahas it cruised along nice and smoothe along the choppy waters of the Hood Canal and with a great dive ladder, that made getting back in very simple.

Thanks Geo, :supz: Looking forward to doing it again.
And thank you Hutch, for joining us!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
geo
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Flag Pole and Pinacle with Captain GEO!

Post by geo »

Glad you guys had a good time despite the chop, let's line up another trip soon! Been thinking about sneaking up to the San Juans for a weekend in the near future.

Anyone else wants to hook up for some evening or weekend boat diving, ping me! We can dive 4 off the boat pretty easy.

The central Hood Canal sites are real accessible out of Seabeck, but I don't mind trailering to other destinations.

-g
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great report!

If you guys do this on a mid-week count me in!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

geo wrote:Glad you guys had a good time despite the chop, let's line up another trip soon! Been thinking about sneaking up to the San Juans for a weekend in the near future.

Anyone else wants to hook up for some evening or weekend boat diving, ping me! We can dive 4 off the boat pretty easy.

The central Hood Canal sites are real accessible out of Seabeck, but I don't mind trailering to other destinations.

-g
Great meeting you guys the other day. Hope your feeling better...
Had an idea for a dive at the end of the month during the week. The tides slow down and your boat would work great as it is a live boat dive. Thinking of sponge hill, mile straight out of Triton. If your up for a deep dive as the top is 130' +/-.
Lots of 6 gil spotted there and 10' cloud sponge. I have a 15# ball we can use as a shot line. Need 4 divers, James might be up for it if it's on a Thursday.
Just a thought.... let me know if this works for you, would love to go

Dale
divehammerheads@yahoo.com
It's a good day.... nobody died!
geo
Frequent Bubbler

Post by geo »

Nice meeting you too Dale! Yep I had a day of squirting from both ends but am much better now. :breakdance:

Mmm... it's hard for me to get away during weekdays. Weeknights and weekends are very workable though!

So we could do a late afternoon / early evening splash on a Thursday if that's good for you. I'll be out of town for a week or so mid-month but will be back around the 24th, so October 30 sounds good to me.

Yep, we gotta get you aboard Tom - you're welcome any time!

-g
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

Glad your feeling better.
Sounds good. Let me know when you get back and we can figure out tides for whatever day we go and who else might want to go. Thursday afternoon or the week end would be ok too, shouldn't be too busy at that spot.

Dale
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

deep diver wrote: Had an idea for a dive at the end of the month during the week. The tides slow down and your boat would work great as it is a live boat dive. Thinking of sponge hill, mile straight out of Triton. If your up for a deep dive as the top is 130' +/-.
Lots of 6 gil spotted there and 10' cloud sponge. I have a 15# ball we can use as a shot line. Need 4 divers, James might be up for it if it's on a Thursday.
Just a thought.... let me know if this works for you, would love to go
Dale
divehammerheads@yahoo.com
If it's a Thursday count me" IN" for this one too! ..I'll watch from around the 120' level, you can chase the Six Gills up to me!Or even stay on board for a first hand dive report! :bounce: \:D/ Any time on a Thursday would work for me!!!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

Looks like I'm going to be out of town for a few weeks, but the middle to end of Oct. would work great for me for sponge hill. Talked to Blackwater about it and he said that he would be up for it too..... he is week-ends or mondays so maybe a week end would work for everyone?