impromptu muk

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Blaiz
Pelagic

impromptu muk

Post by Blaiz »

My dive buddy from Sunday emailed me a few of the pics he took. I figure some of you might be amused by my favorite position....
securedownload.jpg
Dave (dscuba) and I, after a flurry of PM's, ended up getting together down at Mukilteo yesterday. The ferry ride was beautiful, with lovely sunset colors to look at, but it made me sad that fall is upon us, and is getting dark sooner. Nonetheless, Look at how nice it was at Mukilteo yesterday!
2010_0914cameranew0040 (Medium).JPG
I guess we were there not long after another set of divers, since there were two trails of wet footprints in the parking lot. What time were you here, Calvin? Those might have been yours.

So we get in the water, and I try to find the geodome in the dark. Aside from being distracted by pretty fishies, I wound up being pretty sure it was "over there somewhere". Luckily, my buddy is a mind-reader, and was able to take us there. Whoever works on the Geodome did a good job of fixing it! I was expecting it to yet be in pieces, but aside from one buckled beam, it looked pretty complete to me. While checking to see if the wolf eel was home (no), a curious visitor wandered by. This little guy ended up following us around for a surprising amount of time.
2010_0914cameranew0054 (Medium).JPG
This dive really turned out to be Night of the Sailfin Sculpins. Everywhere we looked there were more of them. After the dive, Dave said he wasn't sure whether to even both pointing them out anymore. They ranged from a weeee itty bitty one, to a bigass 12 or 14 incher who hid from us in the pipe.
2010_0914cameranew0074 (Medium).JPG
I was pretty tickled with this fish. It's been my experience the the sailfins tend to head away from me, but apparently I was not very scary, or he was lots more curious. We played peekaboo around a rock for a little bit, then he ended up approaching me!
2010_0914cameranew0078 (Medium).JPG
While taking pictures of a tiny sailfin and this crab, Dave swam over and hit me on the arm to get my attention. Err, wait, that was my left arm and last I saw, he was on my right. Not to mention, why didn't he use his 5000megakilojuleswatted sunimitator to get my attention? I looked up and sure enough, there was Dave ahead of me on the right, about ten feet away. gulp. What hit me?? :eek: Then whatever it was left me, and I saw it swim across and bite at Dave's legs, tap tap tap, before vanishing into the night like a Silver Bullet. The only visual I got was a silver streak, probably about 15 inches long, who swam like a speed demon.
2010_0914cameranew0090 (Medium).JPG
We found a few nudibranchs, white-lined dirona free-swimming, and, uhm, a slug creature which has a long name...
2010_0914cameranew0110 (Medium).JPG
2010_0914cameranew0100 (Medium).JPG
With my ever-increasing artistic aspirations, I've decided to call this, Composition in Green. :queenliz:
2010_0914cameranew0107 (Medium).JPG
And finally.. Nudist Crabs!! :supz:
2010_0914cameranew0143 (Medium).JPG
Mukilteo was lovely tonight. There was a little more current than usual but nothing extreme. This is the first time I've encounted a visible thermocline here, and it's amazing how much difference two degrees makes to one's face! I came up into the warmer water, then headed back into the cold to take a picture, and my whole body was crying out against the loss of warmth :penelope: Thanks, Dave, for such a great dive!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
dscuba
Aquaphile

Re: impromptu muk

Post by dscuba »

Fall is ok though, the visibility improves! Thanks for the nice relaxing dive.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

It's amazing how sensitive the skin is to temperature differences, isn't it? I've noticed that a lot in the cenotes in Mexico. The salt water is warmer than the fresh by only 2 or 3 degrees F, but when you come up out of the salt, it feels as though you're being dumped in ice water!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

You're getting some nice images, Blaiz. Probably what hit you and your buddy was a ling cod ... although dogfish have been known to charge at divers and swim away like that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Grateful Diver wrote:You're getting some nice images, Blaiz. Probably what hit you and your buddy was a ling cod ... although dogfish have been known to charge at divers and swim away like that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Ahh yes tis the season. in the next few months we can expect to see some bumpin' and knocking around by Ling Daddies and Cab daddies....W00t
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Joe Blow
Avid Diver

Post by Joe Blow »

kinda off topic here, but.............

Do you play warcraft or just use the avatar? :rofl:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Joe Blow wrote:kinda off topic here, but.............

Do you play warcraft or just use the avatar? :rofl:
Who is using a WOW avatar?
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Joe Blow
Avid Diver

Post by Joe Blow »

Blaiz. The little gnome diver dude............
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

I have 7 level 80s on Eldre-Thalas, with a couple more on other servers sir :)

... I wondered how long it would be until someone other than Chris asked....
The student was ready.

Starmonkie
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Starmonkie »

You never cease to amaze me Kriss, your posts are always entertaining to read. And your pictures look fantastic!
I'll be there with buoys on.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great report!

I love reading your stuff...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

I wonder if the silver bullet was a Tomcod. I've seen a bunch of them during night-dives at that site. They tend to mill around a few inches off the bottom like they're half asleep, but they become quite spastic when startled. Once I was night diving at Green Point (Washington Park) when the smelt were spawning - on the way out I got pummeled by thousands of them in the shallows - felt like standing outside in hail.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Joe Blow
Avid Diver

Post by Joe Blow »

Blaiz wrote:I have 7 level 80s on Eldre-Thalas, with a couple more on other servers sir :)

... I wondered how long it would be until someone other than Chris asked....

All that, and you still find time to dive? Where do you squeeze your raid times in? lol
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

7??
Level 80's.....ouch
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

heh, the idea of diving was to help me break the addiction to wow... I haven't raided seriously in a long time, since ET is an eastern server, and my erratic hours don't lend themselves well to scheduled raiding... Blaiz is a tank, and they are the ones who really need to be there every raid...
The student was ready.

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Good for you Blaiz. Being a tech guy you can believe that I have seen that game tear some people down. Many don't understand that when you say Wow addiction it's no joke. Back in the day I used to play MMORPG's and when I say play I mean it was every waking moment, other than work, and even work started getting in the way. Mind you this was many years ago (EQ 1). So hats off to you for taking up a great sport and getting out...

:supz: :supz: :supz: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

heh, I met my most recent ex-husband while playing EQ ...

It was a good marriage, just didn't work out.
The student was ready.

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I once heard my adult son say "WOW is the best birth control ever invented."

Just sayin'....
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Tom Nic wrote:I once heard my adult son say "WOW is the best birth control ever invented."

Just sayin'....
my son is 15... he came along before I discovered online video games :supz:
The student was ready.

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Blaiz wrote:
my son is 15... he came along before I discovered online video games :supz:
15?
What, did you have him when you were 10? :eek:

Not prying but you just don't look old enough for a 15 year old Son. I mean that in a good way!
pPlease accept it as a compliment :notworthy:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

lol awww thanks keith! :luv:

as it happens, i had him when i was 20. I just turned 35 in may.

I've spent the last few years regressing into hedonism and rediscovered childhood... good for the laugh lines :boxer:
The student was ready.

Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Norris wrote:Good for you Blaiz. Being a tech guy you can believe that I have seen that game tear some people down. Many don't understand that when you say Wow addiction it's no joke. Back in the day I used to play MMORPG's and when I say play I mean it was every waking moment, other than work, and even work started getting in the way. Mind you this was many years ago (EQ 1). So hats off to you for taking up a great sport and getting out...

I was thinking about this post tonight, and a story to share came to me....

Back in my EverQuest days, there was one fellow who played with us on a regular basis. Then one day he vanished and didn't reappear for four or five days. When he logged back on, we were like, 'dude, where ya been?' And he says, 'oh, my wife kicked me out so I had to buy a new house and computer, but I'm back now, let's play'.
The student was ready.

Joe Blow
Avid Diver

Post by Joe Blow »

Blaiz wrote:
Norris wrote:Good for you Blaiz. Being a tech guy you can believe that I have seen that game tear some people down. Many don't understand that when you say Wow addiction it's no joke. Back in the day I used to play MMORPG's and when I say play I mean it was every waking moment, other than work, and even work started getting in the way. Mind you this was many years ago (EQ 1). So hats off to you for taking up a great sport and getting out...

I was thinking about this post tonight, and a story to share came to me....

Back in my EverQuest days, there was one fellow who played with us on a regular basis. Then one day he vanished and didn't reappear for four or five days. When he logged back on, we were like, 'dude, where ya been?' And he says, 'oh, my wife kicked me out so I had to buy a new house and computer, but I'm back now, let's play'.

HOLY SHEET!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's more powerful than heroin and crack..................... I must admit that I am a "casual" wow player, in a top 500 guild. I play 3 nights a week, and other than that I don't turn it on. I used to play all the time, but quickly found myself burnt out, and bored with the redundancy. I got 3 lvl 80's and have been playin since vanilla. My current main is a prot/holy paladin. I don't think i would still be playing if it wasn't for the fact that every officer in the guild I belong to is a RL friend that I have known for over 10 years. The group of us knew each other LONG before WOW ever came out, and we started playing together, so for me it's kinda social hour with close friends, rather than an "addiction" to a game.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I think we all might qualify as addicted to NWDC though . . .
Kelly
disappearinjon
Frequent Bubbler

Post by disappearinjon »

ktb wrote:I think we all might qualify as addicted to NWDC though . . .
I can quit any time I... hey, look, new post!