after midnight

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

after midnight

Post by ljjames »

Kees and i went out the night before last to see if the octo nest in 70' was hatching yet (we'd visited it earlier in the day and it looked close, some of the egg casings were empty so we were suspicious). When we got back out there were no visible hatchlings, but on the way back in, we passed over the 50' nest and saw... this..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70zuPtMLB54[/youtube]

We went back tonight to visit all three nests, the 70' had one single hatching in the water column (so we are going back tomorrow) the 50' nest was a mess, and the log octo mom is still hanging on, but it can't be for much longer...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Re: after midnight

Post by Dashrynn »

Thats sad to see....Damned sunflower stars! Always trying to eat everything! I saw a video of one trying to eat a wolfeel and almost succeeded
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, I doubt the stars were responsible . . . but they're sure the first critters to fall upon any source of protein!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

The sun stars are doing what they're designed to do ... clean up the carrion.

It's not uncommon for octomoms to die before their eggs hatch ... seen it many times. Usually the first ones to move in are the rockfish ... lookin' for a little fresh caviar ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Grateful Diver wrote:The sun stars are doing what they're designed to do ... clean up the carrion.

It's not uncommon for octomoms to die before their eggs hatch ... seen it many times. Usually the first ones to move in are the rockfish ... lookin' for a little fresh caviar ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I know, the cycle of life. But i favor the octo more :luv: just makes me sad to see em go, even if they would rip my mask off in a second.
TimTaylor
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by TimTaylor »

ljjames,

Where as I 'think' I understand your reasoning behind the choice of music for your video (perhaps trying to lighten the somber mood), I have to admit this may be one of the most inappropriate uses of accompaniment I have ever come across.

From a majority of your posts, it appears that you care about the ocean and its inhabitants. Yet in this one, you seem to belittle the value of this creatures life with your choice of music. Is this some type of hiphop party? I do appreciate the video post, it is great to give insight to the undersea world to folks who may not ever dive, but... WOW... you need to work on music choices.

TT
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

TimTaylor wrote:ljjames,
Where as I 'think' I understand your reasoning behind the choice of music for your video (perhaps trying to lighten the somber mood), I have to admit this may be one of the most inappropriate uses of accompaniment I have ever come across.
From a majority of your posts, it appears that you care about the ocean and its inhabitants. Yet in this one, you seem to belittle the value of this creatures life with your choice of music. Is this some type of hiphop party? I do appreciate the video post, it is great to give insight to the undersea world to folks who may not ever dive, but... WOW... you need to work on music choices.
TT
Tim,
Welcome to NWDC. Please, take a minute and introduce yourself to us here.
While I wouldn't have selected the same music myself, I don't think LJ meant any disrespect.
MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Hi Tim, welcome to the board!

We like to keep criticism constructive and friendly around here. Help us out on the friend part by telling us a little bit about yourself, perhaps by posting in the Introductions section? http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewforum.php?f=5 And please help us out on the constructive part by avoiding telling another member what they should or should not be doing in regards to personal taste. I personally think that Spatman should stop wearing pointy bras, but I try to keep that to myself (he loves them so). Thanks!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: after midnight

Post by Joshua Smith »

What the others said. Maybe when you get your panties unwrapped from that truck axle, you can spend thousands of dollars on video equipment, hundreds of hours underwater filming, and produce your own videos with music you deem "appropriate."

TT

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

TimTaylor wrote:Is this some type of hiphop party? I do appreciate the video post, it is great to give insight to the undersea world to folks who may not ever dive, but... WOW... you need to work on music choices.
but WOW, you should work on your tact and constructive criticism. just hit mute if you don't like it.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Tim, thank you for your input. I knew when i posted it that it was not going to be most people's choice of video subject OR music.

Many of my videos and music choices have multiple meanings interwoven.

the primary one in this case was quite simple.

starstruck. simply the word.

the seastars struck at the first opportunity.

it has nothing to do with me feeling it's a hiphop party attended by seastars, it has a bit to do with the irony of what a lot of what kids (<25 generation?) these days are out doing at 2am on a saturday night, and it's not being dragged out by their dive buddy night after night waiting for some octopus eggs to hatch.

it was a very creepy dive, we went out looking for one thing (a hatch) and came across totally unexpected, albeit standard food chain carnage. a whole video short showing the event is not your standard fair as a 'standalone' video, especially not considering the current crop of happy hatching videos, octos flying around, octos dancing, octos trundling, etc..

My apologies if you found it inappropriate or vulger.
Last edited by ljjames on Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
----
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Penopolypants wrote: I personally think that Spatman should stop wearing pointy bras, but I try to keep that to myself (he loves them so).
then why do you keep lending them to me?
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

spatman wrote:
Penopolypants wrote: I personally think that Spatman should stop wearing pointy bras, but I try to keep that to myself (he loves them so).
then why do you keep lending them to me?
I can't resist the puppydog eyes. Sadly, they look better on you anyway.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I have an internet connection from the iceage, and so consequently I don't get to watch alot of the videos posted. When I do I have to be intentional about it. This was worth the wait.

Laura - I love your art. And that's exactly what this was. Well done.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I found the song quite appropriate. I can't help wondering what tim would have preferred; the Dies Irae perhaps?

Personal taste is just that: personal.

Laura, please keep the videos coming!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Metal man
Aquaphile

Post by Metal man »

but... WOW... you need to work on music choices.

TT
LOL, yeah Laura, how dare you :boxer: !! Guess it's a good thing my work computer doesn't have sound.
Gabe ~D.I.A.W.Y.C. Diver
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Maybe she should have gone with Perry Como, "Catch a Falling Star and Put It In Your Pocket"?????
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: after midnight

Post by Dashrynn »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
htc evo?
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

TimTaylor wrote: Is this some type of hiphop party?
why yes, yes sir it is
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Tiny Tim Tayolor - coincidental that the account was created 10mins before the single inflammatory trolling post ?

I think not.. This cowardly troll is a regular amongst this board.. Nothing gained from that post my friend..

If you have the slightest backbone in you, stand up and be counted..

:popcorn:

(whilst sitting back, rocking out to some Flo-Rida)
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

it is also something that is covered very specifically in TOS. i have no problem with constructive criticism, but bullying and harassment (which is as far as i can tell, was the intent) via sockpuppet is really not very nice. but then again, i guess that was the point.
----
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Man i would have used "2 Live Crew " :lurk: :-({|= :wedgie:
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

H20doctor wrote:Man i would have used "2 Live Crew " :lurk: :-({|= :wedgie:
I'll save that for another vid ;) maybe the salmon hunting herring one ;)
----