I always wanted to know what was under there....

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

I always wanted to know what was under there....

Post by ldevore »

Our company frequently has meetings up at Semiahmoo. I've always been intrigued and wondered what was under the old cannery sitting up on pilings on the waterfront. Well, this time, I threw my scuba gear in (OK, I switched tanks out, and never unpacked from the previous day’s dive) and decided to find out. I snuck out of dinner, just as the desserts were being passed out in order to hit slack. It was loooowwww tide, but who can resist blowing bubbles! I dropped down in about 5’ of water and started my survey of the pilings. It wasn’t the Edmond’s Oil docks, but they were colorful, covered by anemones, stars, California cucumbers, and tons of crabs. I was excited to see several sturgeon poachers, in addition to some very pretty crescent gunnels. Viz was only around 5-10’ and my max depth was 20’, but ahhh….. way better than the cheese cake that I left behind.
So, if do have to go up there for a meeting, grab a few bubbles if you can.

Lauri
Blaiz
Pelagic

Re: I always wanted to know what was under there....

Post by Blaiz »

bearded ratfish!!

and, where is Semiahmoo?
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Re: I always wanted to know what was under there....

Post by ldevore »

Yeah, I guess sturgeon poachers do kind of look like bearded ratfish. The interesting thing is that I didn't see any actual ratfish. I am just so used to seeing them under pilings on night dives. Really surprised me. Of course, it might have been that I was just too shallow.

Semiahmoo is just south of the Canadian boarder in Blaine. Probably better know for the golf resort that was built here. But according to some things that I read, the cannery that I dove under, was once the largest salmon cannery in the world.

Lauri