THE PASS. They did it :)

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

THE PASS. They did it :)

Post by Jan K »

http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Blaiz
Pelagic

Re: THE PASS. They did it :)

Post by Blaiz »

Jan, thats AWESOME!!! THANK YOU!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wonderful!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

That a before or after picture?
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

I've been following the Deception Pass theads with interest and even shot my mouth off that the "Season" for diving the pass was over. Obviously not. Sounds like you guys got a great dive!

I've always done this dive when the max flood before slack was about 3 knots or less. This one was 4.8. How was the dive compared to a slower day? What did you allow for dive time? Depending on the experience level of the divers, it looks like the max acceptable current can be adjusted up a bit.

steve
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

:supz:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

thanks to everyone for the dive ... Thank you Jan for the nice Photo of us and Making the day fun , with conversation and laughter..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUV3SVhwPTw[/youtube]
Last edited by H20doctor on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

4ster wrote:I've been following the Deception Pass theads with interest and even shot my mouth off that the "Season" for diving the pass was over. Obviously not. Sounds like you guys got a great dive!

I've always done this dive when the max flood before slack was about 3 knots or less. This one was 4.8. How was the dive compared to a slower day? What did you allow for dive time? Depending on the experience level of the divers, it looks like the max acceptable current can be adjusted up a bit.

steve
I had 66 minutes bottom time MOD 80'. I believe we had just reached the sheer wall under the bridge whenslack hit & we had maybe 5 minutes before it rolled us back the other way. I hate to sound like Fritz here but I will have to say "I am working the bugs out of this one" My current belief, until proven wrong, is to splash 30 minutes prior to slack for a flood max of 3-3.5kts. Add 1kt & bump it another 15 minutes. it worked for this dive perfectly. If I was to play this one out, I would dive 1hr early for a 5.5kt but I'm not sure I'm that bold. Even a dumb bass-tard like me has limits. Thats a mentally handicapped fish in case you are unfamiliar with off color slangs. Hope to see you there next time.
MJ
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

4ster wrote:I've always done this dive when the max flood before slack was about 3 knots or less. This one was 4.8. How was the dive compared to a slower day? What did you allow for dive time? Depending on the experience level of the divers, it looks like the max acceptable current can be adjusted up a bit.
Just about any high slack is okay if you're getting in off North Beach and spending most of your time in the big back-eddy west of the bridge. If you want to cover more area and check out a bunch of the cool structure further inside you'll need more time, especially if you want the best photo opportunities. Nothing wrong with that area though - it has the neon pink anemones, cool sponges, etc that most enjoy seeing, and you can spend quite a while there even on an average slack because it is not as exposed. The pattern that has emerged for me though, is that the really great slacks in Deception Pass are on days when tidal conditions out in the straits are not so good; and vice-versa... if things are awesome for hitting the pinnacles out in Rosario, or some San Juan Channel walls, the slack in Deception Pass will be so-so at best. In general I look ahead a year or two and plan out the really spectacular slacks in Deception Pass - the rest of the time, there's going to be a better dive plan elsewhere. Not to say that I haven't jumped in for an impromptu dive to burn the remainder of a cylinder on the way back to the boat launch - I just accept that it'll be a shorter dive and I'm not going to have the kind of conditions that give me time to look around in detail at some of my favorite critter zones.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

You are getting quite good with that camera...I'm a tiny bit jealous.

OK, more than a tiny bit, it actually makes me want to go buy a video camera.

And move somewhere where there's something to film.
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

Thanks for the info!