Redondo 11/22/10 & a PSL

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
bnboly
Submariner

Redondo 11/22/10 & a PSL

Post by bnboly »

Went diving today with ZSAOLY - it was his 3rd and 4th dives after cert. I'm pretty sure he's hooked since we were the only folks there today. Lot's of parking was available. Well we dropped into about 20' viz, no current and did 2 very plesant 25 min dives. I wasn't really expecting to see much since we already knew we were going to work on Zack's weighting and a few other issues. So for the 1st dive we dropped and followed the 'big' rope down to the traffic cone and turned right to the bath tubs and big pipe. On this dive we did see twoGrunt Sculpins on the big pipe, quite a few white lined dironas. About this time I notice that Zack starts to 'drift' up each time I stop to check on him - so I hand him a rock and we head back up to add just a bit more weight.

So on the second dive we drop down on the smaller rope and check out the 2 smaller wrecks. At about 40' we turn north to see what we can see - viz had dropped to about 10' so we moved up to about 20' and turned around and started back. It was here that Zack got to swoim through a school of small pipefish and just a few minutes later see his very 1st Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker! That's right on dive #4 he gets to see his 1st PSL! I have pics but none really turned out - I'm still learning how to use a new Panasonic TS2 camera. Still haven't worked out all the setting yet.
Attachments
PSL
PSL
Zack gearing up
Zack gearing up
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Redondo 11/22/10 & a PSL

Post by cardiver »

I must have missed the call when you invited me.......

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

Sorry dude! We are planning on going back out on Friday - same place - Redondo. Will prob get there about 9 or so if you can make it.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

So, very cool! This is the time and that's the place to see PSL's but very cool you saw one during the day-that's not too common.
On a side note, I'm thinking you didn't swim through a school of pipefish-they don't tend to school and don't swim up in the water column. Perhaps Tube Snouts?
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounds like you had a couple of nice dives!

...and I'm counting on it for Friday!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

You are most likely correst about them being Tube Snouts! I have been quite remiss about fish ID. I need to get off my really lazy butt and take some of the most excellent classes that are offered!

On another note - Tom I have your tanks, mine are at the shop along with one of Tim's.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

bnboly wrote: I need to get off my really lazy butt and take some of the most excellent classes that are offered!
Yes you do! :smt064

bnboly wrote:On another note - Tom I have your tanks, mine are at the shop along with one of Tim's.
Thank you sir - we'll need to find out when the shop is open to make sure we have them by Friday. I'm pretty sure Tim will join us, and I'm betting we won't be the only ones squeezing into our dry-suits for the annual after Thanksgiving dive!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

bnboly wrote:You are most likely correst about them being Tube Snouts! I have been quite remiss about fish ID. I need to get off my really lazy butt and take some of the most excellent classes that are offered!

On another note - Tom I have your tanks, mine are at the shop along with one of Tim's.
There are several good ID experts to choose a class from. Hope you get to take one soon.

I once overheard an INSTRUCTOR telling her OW students that they had seen a school of juvenile Wolf Eels when what she was really seeing was Tube Snouts. I couldn't believe it.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option