Sund Rock Video November 5th 2010

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Sund Rock Video November 5th 2010

Post by -Aaron- »

We took this trip a few months ago to Sund Rock and shot some video of a couple day and night dives. We are still learning our way around the camera, but it was nice to see we could get good footage in the Northwest and not just in clearer waters. Lighting was the big challenge. My canister light was away for service and the lighting overall is pretty harsh. I recently acquired a video reflector, so future lighting should be much improved.

Anyway, all things considered I think it came out nice, we had some fun dives and saw some cool stuff. One funny thing we saw that we didn't catch on camera was a large bird cruising 20 feet underwater in the fishbowl. It was behind my buddy's back, so he didn't see it, and I spend a few minutes trying to explain what happend, before I realized my hand signal vocabulary didn't cover, "I just saw a huge bird swimming behind you" :P.

Sund Rock: November 5th 2010(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRIPB_abKmw)
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Re: Sund Rock Video November 5th 2010

Post by guitarmaker »

Nice video Aaron, loved the free swimming wolf eel - and those were some BIG lings cruising around. Glad they don't eat divers! :eek:
Cheers!

Ron
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Cool vid & nice shot of the wolf eel!
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

nice video arron
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Yeah that big wolf eel out in the open was cool. I'm looking forward to capturing some octo videos in upcoming dives. We have seen some huge octos out hunting on late night dives there before, but never had a camera.
Acquatic
Avid Diver

Post by Acquatic »

wow! was the whole video shot in the night ? or .. it also has any day diving ? it looked pretty dark in there.

cool video though.
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

Sorry been a while for a reply. Video was shot over two day and two night dives. Any time you see green water in the background it is a safe bet it is a day shot. As you get deeper less light penetrates so it can look closer and closer to night. One other factor, cameras aren't as light sensitive as human eyes, so even though it doesn't feel that dark when you are in the water it tends to look much darker on video, which is why lighting is so important :). After this video was shot I picked up a video reflector, so the lighting is much improved on my later videos.