So you think YOUR'RE tough??

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

So you think YOUR'RE tough??

Post by eliseaboo »

With the impending blizzard impacting roughly half of the country I have a bit of spare time. So I thought I would give you guys a bit of a taste of midwest winter diving, for anyone unfamiliar with it.

Now, I have to admit - I did not actually dive this past weekend. I had too much to do, and there was too much commotion already. I'm not a big fan of overhead environments, so the list of people I'll dive with under the ice is relatively small. I do, however, enjoy being surface support. Because basically, you're in charge. And who doesn't like that?! Don't fear, I did do about a half dozen ice dives last year, and I plan on doing it again soon...this just wasn't the weekend.

As always, our ice dive was a *production*!! Several trips with the ATV, lots of surface support, a flag, and even some guys from the radio! It was a full weekend! Here are a few shots:

Pulling the ice chunks out of the hole. I prefer to cut one big hole and slide the chunk under the ice, but this works very nice for keeping all sides of the hole accessible. Nice for times when you have things to see in many directions.

Lines point to the hole, just in case. One of many safety precautions taught in an ice diving class.

You can barely make out the triangular hole in the middle. Bubbles from divers exhaust, as well as the weight of people and equipment on the ice, can cause the hole to become wet and slippery and require caution while moving about.

Diversions Ice Camp ;)

I'm in the blue coat. I'm quite used to being surface support for cold weather dives. Mostly because I'm a wimp. (Photo credit: Tamara Thomsen)
citycatred
Submariner

Re: So you think YOUR'RE tough??

Post by citycatred »

Is his beard frozen (last picture)? Or is it just grey?
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

citycatred wrote:Is his beard frozen (last picture)? Or is it just grey?
Haha, just grey! He hadn't been in the water yet, we're just fixing his mask before entering.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Brrrrr! Hey! I just noticed the photo credit! I've been friends with Tammy for years! Please say hello to her for me when you next see her!

She does some GREAT underwater photography in the Great Lakes, and is one heckuva cave instructor as well!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

John Rawlings wrote:Brrrrr! Hey! I just noticed the photo credit! I've been friends with Tammy for years! Please say hello to her for me when you next see her!

She does some GREAT underwater photography in the Great Lakes, and is one heckuva cave instructor as well!

- John
Truth. I have heard your name thrown around as well. I'm always amazed by the things she produces underwater, but I suppose practice makes perfect! And practice she DOES. :notworthy:

I'm afraid I'm one day going to find myself in her cave class going "now, how did this happen?!" I will tell her you say hi :bye:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

eliseaboo wrote:
John Rawlings wrote:Brrrrr! Hey! I just noticed the photo credit! I've been friends with Tammy for years! Please say hello to her for me when you next see her!

- John
Truth. I have heard your name thrown around as well. I'm always amazed by the things she produces underwater, but I suppose practice makes perfect! And practice she DOES. :notworthy:

I'm afraid I'm one day going to find myself in her cave class going "now, how did this happen?!" I will tell her you say hi :bye:
Has she talked you into a KISS Rebreather yet? :angelblue:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

John Rawlings wrote:
eliseaboo wrote:

- John

Has she talked you into a KISS Rebreather yet? :angelblue:
Ha! She knows that I work for the government :rofl: I'll probably sign up for the rebreather workshop at Ghost Ships though. I dive with too many rebreather divers to NOT know the basics at this point...though I maintain they dive them just to keep up with me :mermaid:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

that makes me cold just looking at the pics! but it does sound like fun, and something i'd like to try someday.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Fun :eek: :eek: :eek: You's guys is :nutty: :nutty:
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Look at how beautiful that water looks. But man... that looks cold. No. Thank. You.
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

This is the only time of the year we get some decent vis here! And it is nice. No boaters to share the water with, or fishermen. Here is a shot courtesy of Ethan Brodsky:

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

what's the water temp and average dive time?
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Anywhere between 34 and 40 degrees (though I've never personally seen it that high...) Average dive times for most divers are around 15-20 minutes, but for me it's more like 7-10. And around 3 hours of preparation.
Metal man
Aquaphile

Post by Metal man »

eliseaboo wrote:Anywhere between 34 and 40 degrees (though I've never personally seen it that high...) Average dive times for most divers are around 15-20 minutes, but for me it's more like 7-10. And around 3 hours of preparation.
Uh no thanks, note to self, never never never move to the mid west.
Gabe ~D.I.A.W.Y.C. Diver
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

eliseaboo wrote:Anywhere between 34 and 40 degrees (though I've never personally seen it that high...) Average dive times for most divers are around 15-20 minutes, but for me it's more like 7-10. And around 3 hours of preparation.
That's it? why so short?

You all need better undies. We were doing hour+ in Canada last year (38F)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

CaptnJack wrote:
That's it? why so short?

I'm also a huge wuss. And poor...but even in nice fancy borrowed undies I wasn't comfy a few years back in 33 degree water. A large part of it is the surface conditions here. I always start the dive cold because it's cold and snowy and windy on the surface, and we all know there is no recovering from that...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Good point, how far out on the lake is this hole?

Ours was ~80yds from the car so fairly spoiled
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

CaptnJack wrote:
That's it? why so short?

"Why so short?" asks the man in the heated vest. :smt064
I did a 47 minute dive last month in 34F water. It took 4 hours to get warm and I was exhausted for 24 hours. I'd say 15-20 minutes is plenty! But that's just me.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

CaptnJack wrote:Good point, how far out on the lake is this hole?

Ours was ~80yds from the car so fairly spoiled
Close to a mile I think. I've walked it before, hauling the gear on sleds. Done it a few times actually. But it's better when we have a 4 wheeler and a trailer! There are closer sites (hell, you could go pretty much anywhere around the entire lake), the problem is you can't drive out on the little peninsula to get to this particular site, and this is the place where all the sunken stuff is to look at.

I hear ya Ben on the exhaustion thing! I did nearly the same dive as you, but in a wetsuit right before the ice formed here. I came out and buried myself in 2 sleeping bags and didn't speak to anyone for like half an hour. I'm a bit surprised they didn't call EMS for hypothermia, but it all turned out ok. If you can call me OK that is.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

airsix wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
That's it? why so short?

"Why so short?" asks the man in the heated vest. :smt064
I did a 47 minute dive last month in 34F water. It took 4 hours to get warm and I was exhausted for 24 hours. I'd say 15-20 minutes is plenty! But that's just me.
Have not needed or used suit heat in 2yrs+ despite 1.5hr dives in 41F water. 400gm thinsulate sucks, weezle extreme+ good.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

You need a larger version of those huts the ice fisherman take out on the water with them. I suppose that would be a little big and ungainly.