Sund rock, 226 feet deep, 162min.. All on 9cu ft of gas !!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Sund rock, 226 feet deep, 162min.. All on 9cu ft of gas !!

Post by Agent 47 »

I love rebreather diving :partydance:
So I went down to Sund today in hopes of getting some footage of all the octos and wolfies. My buddy bailed on me so I decided to do a little deeper dive and just enjoy myself. When I got there a couple other people were just leaving so I ended up having the entire place to myself. I entered on the south wall and started down. Visability wasnt that bad, maybe twenty or twentyfive feet. I rolled past the 150" mark and the light was pretty much gone, I stashed my video system on a ledge as I was continuing down past its rated crush depth. The bottom contoured downward and I passed through a forrest of sea pens. Several rockfish stood watch as I continued downward past the 200 foot mark. I reached my max depth of 226 and turned and cut diaginally along the slope. The silence is unreal down there, At one point I stopped and hovered over the abyss several feet off the edge of the wall and just hung there. I could actually hear my blood pulsing through my inner ear as I hung suspended two hundred feet below the surface. I wished I could stay longer but my planed deco and bailout constraints forced me to turn for the surface after only seven minutes at the bottom. I could actually make out the Green glow of the surface as I started up, the silhouetts of hundreds of fish mere shadows against the emerald backdrop. I retreived my camera and continued back to the world of light. I then spent the remainder of my first hour exploring the walls and crevaces but found my intended quarry particularly elusive. After scouring every square foot of the south wall and eliminating all my deco obligation without seeing a single wolf eel or octo I stashed my deep bail out tank and continued to the central reefs. I explored the entire site zig zaging across the center and on to the north wall and on to the fishing trawler all with no luck. this is the first time I have ever been skunked at Sund and needless to say it was a bit disapointing. Finally I spent the final part of the dive in the fish bowl where I managed to get a few "self portrat" videos by wedging the camera into a rock and filming myself swimming around :nutty: finally I spent some time playing with how close the ling cods would let me get before they would swim off. this is where the rebreathers silence really shines. One shot I got is so close my dome port practically bumped the ling in the side of the head before he mooved. Finally after almost three hours below the surface I returned to the land of gravity, I never got cold, or dehydrated ( breathing air thats 95 degrees and 100% humidity is awesome! ) Driving home with that slightly tired, contented and peacefull feeling is the ultamate reward for a dive well done and it is what keeps me always wondering,,, "what experiences are still out there waiting for me ?"
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Re: Sund rock, 226 feet deep, 162min.. All on 9cu ft of gas

Post by ktb »

Cool, thank you. That write-up *almost* makes me want to get a rebreather and do technical diving. Almost . . . but not quite. But cool nonetheless!
Kelly
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Aaron: Good write-up. I hope you never lose your sense of wonder. Of course you know that you don't have to be deep or novel to have a great experience. Appreciating the beauty in the commonplace, gulls, seastars, anemones are examples of things that enrich our lives without our really being aware. Their absence from some exotic dive destinations drove that home to me. Having four decades on you can permit me to assure you that there will always be new experiences awaiting you if you just look for them. Things I have yet to see include the sperm whale, whale shark, and green flash. Today I enjoyed the my encounter with the stubby squid, not new or novel - but cool just the same. It looks like you are getting good return on your investment.
Be careful out there.
- Curt
Attachments
StubySquid3.JPG
Happy to be alive.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Agent 47 wrote:I could actually hear my blood pulsing through my inner ear
Ugh - I get that a fair bit these days when I'm at depth. The first time it happened I was fairly shallow and it stuck - didn't go away for about 14 months. Every night when I was trying to go to sleep I could hear my pulse super loud - sucked. Then, finally it stopped after another dive. A friend tells me that blood vessels and the eustachian tubes can shift with pressure changes - I work harder to equalize _before_ I am prompted by minor discomfort now. Sounds like you had a great dive. Weird how that works - for me it is often when I'm exploring by myself and somehow all the environmental/equipment variables are going my way that I really feel comfortable and in my element. Probably no coincidence that my gas consumption is also lowest at those times. Enjoyed your report - thanks for taking the time to share it with us :)
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Dude.. You should tell me these things when i get air at the shop.. That's petty cool you went that deep, as i didn't know the wall went that deep.. Keep the reports coming
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Incredible report! =D>
If ever there was a single reason to have a rebreather, this would be amazing to experience.
I have not started my rebreather fund yet, but soon! Please entertain us with more of these reports. :smt064
You have a great way of explaining your experiences. :smt024
Thanks!
:highfive:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

H20doctor wrote:That's petty cool you went that deep, as i didn't know the wall went that deep.. Keep the reports coming

Yeah it goes down past the 400 foot mark in front of Sund, it just keeps stepping down. Slopes followed by cliffs, the spot where I stopped was on a cliff that started at about 210 and plunged into the depths farther than my light would penetrate.
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

Wow --
Hopefully sometime you can capture some videos or pictures of the environment down that deep.
I know its maybe just dark but I would like to see :)

For those of use who will never venture beyond the 130 mark.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
THE 1SG
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by THE 1SG »

Wow, that is cool. I can't even imagine 226. :eek: I just started this year and recently picked up my dry suit. Scheduling to take my Advanced soon.

So I guess I need to start to save for a video camera and then a re-breather. I like the 3 hours down time. Thank you for the post. It is inspiring to hear about this stuff. I am off to HI this May for diving with the family (by myself right now, trying to get the wife hooked). It is like crack though. I thought I was going to get a Harley but now a re-breather seems more likely.
:supz:
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

THE 1SG wrote:Wow, that is cool. I can't even imagine 226. :eek: I just started this year and recently picked up my dry suit. Scheduling to take my Advanced soon.

So I guess I need to start to save for a video camera and then a re-breather. I like the 3 hours down time. Thank you for the post. It is inspiring to hear about this stuff. I am off to HI this May for diving with the family (by myself right now, trying to get the wife hooked). It is like crack though. I thought I was going to get a Harley but now a re-breather seems more likely.
:supz:
LOL thats exactly the decision I made. I saved for three years for a new Harley but then one day I thought to myself "I already own a motorcycle". Not very new but it still runs good, and a motorcycle wont let me explore the deeper wrecks and caves that I have only seen in pictures or in my dreams, and just like that my decision was made. Two years ago I took a three month long 14,000 mile motorcycle trip around the country traveling through 46 states seeing and experiencing things that I could have never imagined. That experience left me with the desire to experience everything life offers and that has been my driving force ever since. The rebreather is a tool for the furtherment of that goal and from my very first dive on it I have never looked back... anyone want to buy a set of doubles? :laugh:

dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

I hate you :tappingfoot: Thats all I have to say. You dream stealer!
MJ
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Agent 47 wrote: The rebreather is a tool for the furtherment of that goal and from my very first dive on it I have never looked back... anyone want to buy a set of doubles? :laugh:
HA! Boy, do I understand that!!! A year after I bought my rebreather I realized that I hadn't even TOUCHED my OC tanks during that entire time and it was costing me money just to keep them VIPed! I wiped the dust off them, sold all of my sets of doubles and converted most of my single tanks into bail-out bottles.

I still have two LP 98s in case my son ever wants to drive over from Idaho and dive, but even those might get sold soon. I don't dive anything BUT my rebreather now.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Aaron, that's awesome. I've can't wait to go CCR and experience those types of things. Keep the dive reports coming!
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Great writeup. Keeps me dreaming.
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

dieseldude wrote:I hate you :tappingfoot: Thats all I have to say. You dream stealer!
MJ
Well Mike, I did invite you along after all. :smt064

Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Just for the CCR ignorant like me -- what did you carry for bailout and deco?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Peter Guy wrote:Just for the CCR ignorant like me -- what did you carry for bailout and deco?
a 2-liter pepsi bottle full of 21/35 and a ziplock baggie of O2.

disclaimer: i know nothing about ccr diving, either. or diving in general, really.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

spatman wrote:
Peter Guy wrote:Just for the CCR ignorant like me -- what did you carry for bailout and deco?
a 2-liter pepsi bottle full of 21/35 and a ziplock baggie of O2.

disclaimer: i know nothing about ccr diving, either. or diving in general, really.

FREEZER baggie of O2, geez, everyone know's that ziplock baggies fail under presure.......
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

so when you stashed your deep bailout, did you have other bailout or were you diving solo alpine style with few dives on your new CCR? just wondering why you stashed you bottle?
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

Agent 47 wrote:
dieseldude wrote:I hate you :tappingfoot: Thats all I have to say. You dream stealer!
MJ
Well Mike, I did invite you along after all. :smt064
Its not the location that I missed, it's the ccr experience. I could have done that with you(on no sleep since I work 3rd shift)but I would have had to wear doubles, 2 AL80's minimum, & probably an AL40 for backup air just in case(I didnt run the dive on vplanner with my profile so I'm guessing on the air supply). 2hrs is still my longest dive & it didnt have an MOD of 226'. My back would have hated you the next day.

The rapture of the deep calls me & I dont have the gear to get there :crybaby:
Soon though. This is the year I get caught up. Then I'm getting my CCR & takin' you down sucka! (to 300' that is).
MJ
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Maverick wrote:so when you stashed your deep bailout, did you have other bailout or were you diving solo alpine style with few dives on your new CCR? just wondering why you stashed you bottle?
:police: :police: :police:

:rofl:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

I have a al80 of 18/45 and a al40 of NO2-50 I dropped the 80 on the way back up and finished the dive just using the 40 of 50% as a bail out. Thats another advantage of rebreather, my bail out tanks I never use so I never have to pay for helium fills just keep a stash of tanks with different mixes in them and grab what I need but never actually use it. So I could do almost an unlimited number of dives without spending a dime on OC gass. :partydance:

jeffgerritsen
Dive-aholic

Post by jeffgerritsen »

I'm extremely jealous until I count the costs involved with CCR's. Maybe when my rich uncle dies and leaves me 15K for all the stuff and training, or something like that.

Good write though.