iDove

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

iDove

Post by Sockmonkey »

Before today my last dive was a little over 3 months ago. Having a baby and the winter swell has prevented me from being underwater for any length of time. This was my longest time dry in about 4 years or so.

At about 10PM last night my dive buddy Mari sent me a txt asking if I had a tank. I spent the whole day excited to dive skipping on rainbows and riding the unicorn express and forgot to think about a tank. Of all the bottles in my garage none were filled. Thankfully she works in a dive shop and was able to grab one for me early this morning. (look for her this summer at the usual puget sound watering holes once she moves back to Portland)

Before I became a victim of my ongoing amateur hour I combed through my dive gear to ensure I would not forget anything essential. What I found was a crazy mold situation at the bottom of the tub I haul my gear around in. My wetsuit and hooded vest were put away wet and are now cast in the shape of my tub bounded together with stinky mold. I wanted to get my gloves and backup light from under the grossness but I elected to deal with it another day. After all it was nearly 11PM and I already had a few Sierra Torpedo hop bombs in me. I left the crusty neoprene in the tub and dug out one of the blue rubbermaid bins that Kate was always laughing at.

I've had a brand new pinnacle 5mm suit I bought on sale on the interweb hanging around since before xmas. Today was my first dive in it.

Between playing with the baby and life in general I was late heading down the hill to meet Mari. Thankfully she was running late too because I was in charge of her wakeup call. I rang her 30 minutes after she asked me to. In addition I realized that the mask I had packed was my backup which is somewhat broken. I thought my primary mask was at work. I stopped by the office but couldn't find it, so I grabbed a coworker's mask. I like his better than mine.

The winter swell was down but there was a slight surge at Paniau (our cove2). Nothing that would stop us from getting in the water. If hadn't been dry for so long this dive would have sucked... but under the circumstances it was an A+ experience.

This is the list of stuff I would normally complain about:
  • New booties made my feet hurt and fall asleep. I had to take my fins off for a break.
  • I didn't bring a hood and my head was cold. Water temp down to 77F.
  • The viz was sucky (I know I know. I'll promptly go F myself after I'm done writing this)
  • I hit my head in one of the caves from the surge
  • My new 5mm wetsuit is more buoyant than the 2 pieces of 3mm I once wore. The extra 4 lbs I wore was not enough.
  • I carried a rock with me for the last 1/4 of the dive (for the record finding a heavy rock out of all the porous lava isn't easy)
The list of awesomeosity:
  • Two monster ulua flew right over Mari's head in the cave and out a skylight.
  • Mari found a really nice looking leaf scorpion fish (still cool even tho its prob there all the time)
  • My new wetsuit is really warm. Wool rules.
  • The whales were REALLY loud.
  • One whale seemed to be laughing like Jabba the Hutt. "It's too late for that Sockmonkey. You may have been a good diver but now you're bantha fodder Hooh hoh hoh hoh."
  • Mari's handsignal for I just peed in my wetsuit is instantly understandable.
  • I was underwater for over an hour.
Who knows how often I'll get to dive given my hectic lifestyle... next time I'll bring a camera.

Aloha hard bitches,

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: iDove

Post by spatman »

finally! glad you're back in the water, amigo.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

:supz:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Sockmonkey wrote:Before today my last dive was a little over 3 months ago. Having a baby and the winter swell has prevented me from being underwater for any length of time. This was my longest time dry in about 4 years or so.
...Aloha hard bitches,

-Eric
Thank you! We needed this. You're like vitamin D for this place. Seriously.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

airsix wrote:
Thank you! We needed this. You're like vitamin D for this place. Seriously.
* infinity +1

:supz:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Ha! Made me smile. Glad yer diving again, dad. So, I gotta ask: what IS the "I just peed in my wetsuit" hand signal?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Joshua Smith wrote:Ha! Made me smile. Glad yer diving again, dad. So, I gotta ask: what IS the "I just peed in my wetsuit" hand signal?
A shaka in front of your bits combined with a pleasurable roll of the eyes? Or is that mastur....oh, wait...hmmm....
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: iDove

Post by Joshua Smith »

Penopolypants wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:Ha! Made me smile. Glad yer diving again, dad. So, I gotta ask: what IS the "I just peed in my wetsuit" hand signal?
A shaka in front of your bits combined with a pleasurable roll of the eyes? Or is that mastur....oh, wait...hmmm....
Only if you're, uh....solo.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Good to see you are back in the water. Yep, a family sure does change the perspective.

I noticed when I was in the Ilands a couple weeks ago what seemed to be many more leaf scorpion fish. Maybe it is just I'm getting better at finding them and frogfish?

See you
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: iDove

Post by Sockmonkey »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:
Only if you're, uh....solo.
Well not with Mari but some of the folks I dive with around here are a bit like scuba "mastur....oh, wait...hmmm" in that I might as well be diving solo (see upcoming video from today's dive).

So her hand signal for I just peed was to roll over on her side and spread her legs and do some sort of jazz hands maneuver pointing away from her bits. For the record she does jazz hands for reals underwater when she see something exciting... just a warning to those who might dive with her when she moves.
ArcticDiver wrote:Good to see you are back in the water. Yep, a family sure does change the perspective.

I noticed when I was in the Ilands a couple weeks ago what seemed to be many more leaf scorpion fish. Maybe it is just I'm getting better at finding them and frogfish?

See you
Could be a little of both. After two years of living here I'm just now becoming the leaf scorp master. But they're in places I never saw them before so tough to tell. And they''re territorial so if you see it there one day... it'll be there the next. Frogfish... well they take an eye for sure.

Aloha hard,

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Bingediver
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Bingediver »

Just in case anyone is wondering, I don't signal to Eric EVERY time I pee in my wetsuit - I usually don't even pee in my wetsuit... Ok, ok not 100% true. Anyway, he just happened to catch me in my "ewww-must-get-urine-out-of-wetsuit" dance. Which is pretty slick, btw.

This jazz hands problem all started when Eric found two RIDICULOUSLY tiny (think pencil eraser tiny) frog fish during a Paniau night dive. I felt like it was the only adequate way to express my excitement. Now I just can't stop "jazz-hands-ing" all over the Puako dive sights.

So now that you all know some of my embarrassing idiosyncrasies, I'll totally need some dive buddies once I'm finally out there in March!

-Mari
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Bingediver wrote:Just in case anyone is wondering, I don't signal to Eric EVERY time I pee in my wetsuit - I usually don't even pee in my wetsuit... Ok, ok not 100% true. Anyway, he just happened to catch me in my "ewww-must-get-urine-out-of-wetsuit" dance. Which is pretty slick, btw.
just remember, mari, don't pee in your drysuit. especially when your drysuit is the one you're borrowing from me.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

spatman wrote:
Bingediver wrote:Just in case anyone is wondering, I don't signal to Eric EVERY time I pee in my wetsuit - I usually don't even pee in my wetsuit... Ok, ok not 100% true. Anyway, he just happened to catch me in my "ewww-must-get-urine-out-of-wetsuit" dance. Which is pretty slick, btw.
just remember, mari, don't pee in your drysuit. especially when your drysuit is the one you're borrowing from me.
Mari,
Looking forward to meeting you sometime.
And....
I'll give you $25 if you pee in Matt's drysuit once you do get here!

MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

mz53480 wrote:
spatman wrote:
Mari,
Looking forward to meeting you sometime.
And....
I'll give you $25 if you pee in Matt's drysuit once you do get here!

MZ
I'll match that. Anyone else want in?

Chris_81
Just Settling In

Post by Chris_81 »

Glad to hear you are back in the water. Your post made me even more excited to get back to Puako in April.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:
mz53480 wrote:I'll give you $25 if you pee in Matt's drysuit once you do get here!

MZ
I'll match that. Anyone else want in?
hell, i'll pee in my drysuit if you keep raising money like that.
Bingediver
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Bingediver »

well, I'm all about raising money for a good cause :P