Torpedo Reef

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Torpedo Reef

Post by gutholmj »

Deep Diver and I met up at Pt. Whitney yesterday with the plan of diving Pulali. During the drive up there was a steady wind coming out of the south and conditions did not look good. The wind waves just outside the protection of the Pt Whitney were 2' and it was still blowing hard. We decided to skip Pulali and head for Torpedo Reef. The site is just north of Pulali, and slightly protected from the south wind. The name comes from Dale and Bric finding a torpedo last week. isibility was only about 12-15' with lots of large particles in the water but the dives were fantastic. This site is absolutely beautiful. The amount of color covering almost every square inch of was amazing and the pics don't really do it justice. This is one of my new favorite sites.
DSC_1545.jpg
DSC_1574.jpg
DSC_1577.jpg
DSC_1585.jpg
DSC_1590.jpg
Where's Waldo. Can you find the octopus.
DSC_1623 (1).jpg
DSC_1631.jpg
DSC_1633.jpg
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: Torpedo Reef

Post by H20doctor »

Nice.. Might have to have a boat dive out there this summer .. Hood canal style
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

your pictures make the reef look fantastic and I don't know how you spotted the octopus! :supz:
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

I dove with Dale today on the same side of Pullali. We got a little further south and started to see some of the bigger structure. The weather was great, the conditions were really nice, and the water was very cool! My computer read 46 degrees.

I had my flash turned up too hot so I blew some nice photos, but here are a couple that I liked.
IMG_2277.jpg
IMG_2279.jpg
Every morning I get these really beautiful drives, today was special. Here are a couple of shots from today, there were about 30 of these guys standing in the road.
IMG_2239.jpg
IMG_2236.jpg
Dale thanks for a great day!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Nice pics Bric. The lighting on the last one is really cool.

It would be pretty fun to do more of a drift sometime with a strong current and go all the way around the corner to Pulali.
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

Great pictures, Bric. My pictures didn't turn out well enough to post. I missed seeing the elk fish, what reef where they on? Can't wait to explore the new section of torpedo reef.
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

gutholmj wrote:Nice pics Bric. The lighting on the last one is really cool.

It would be pretty fun to do more of a drift sometime with a strong current and go all the way around the corner to Pulali.
I don't think that you go around the corner, I think there is a long break in the sand before the fingers area. The structure is really good and has multiple sections down to 100+.

Dale lets do it next time!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

blackwater wrote:
gutholmj wrote:Nice pics Bric. The lighting on the last one is really cool.

I don't think that you go around the corner, I think there is a long break in the sand before the fingers area. The structure is really good and has multiple sections down to 100+.

Dale lets do it next time!
I think we could do a lot of diving on that spot... I'm ready
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Of all my dives on the Canal, Pulali Pt is my favorite. I always anchored under the Torpedo test shack and kick off the edge into the unknown. Many great dives there.
Charles