Blue Hole, Santa Rosa, NM

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
CPMurray
Just Settling In

Blue Hole, Santa Rosa, NM

Post by CPMurray »

Getting ready to fly down to NM with my daughter to dive a fresh water, bell shaped sink hole. This is a popular dive site, especially for those unfortunate land locked divers. Many instructors take their students here for the qual's and training. So do the police, sherrif department and Fire department dive teams Its 81 feet, crystal clear, 64 degree water and at 4600 feet makes it an altitude dive. This will be my second time diving it. I have family in AZ and NM so I had to make the trip two hrs SE of Albuquerque. The pictures I took came out good, so I'm doing it again.

Has anyone out there done this dive before?
Attachments
Looking up from 81 feet
Looking up from 81 feet
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Re: Blue Hole, Santa Rosa, NM

Post by Lonestar »

Never heard of it, sounds like it's east of Socorro?
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Lonestar wrote:Never heard of it, sounds like it's east of Socorro?
Waaaay East. Almost on the Texas border just off I-40. I grew up in Albuquerque. I knew people who dived there- I always thought they were crazy. I still do. But, it makes sense to use it for training, for folks heading elsewhere to dive, I suppose.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Got it, waaaay out east in BFNM. I've been through there but dont remember it, must be like T or C. Looks like a better dive than Elephant Butte!
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Looks like a blast.. Have fun be safe
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

My sister lives in Gallup and I have been looking for the perfect excuse to pay her a visit. It looks like I found it!
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
"A fit diver is a safer diver and a better buddy"
In Pain?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Blue Hole, Santa Rosa, NM

Post by Joshua Smith »

coach_izzy wrote:My sister lives in Gallup and I have been looking for the perfect excuse to pay her a visit. It looks like I found it!
Sorry to hear about your sister, coach. Be aware that Gallup is on the opposite side of the state from Santa Rosa, though. I think you're talking about a 6 hour drive, one way, to go dive some clear water with nothing in it.....

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CPMurray
Just Settling In

Post by CPMurray »

coach_izzy wrote:My sister lives in Gallup and I have been looking for the perfect excuse to pay her a visit. It looks like I found it!
Speaking of Gallup. We love to eat at Genero's on the way to or from Albuquerque. But only if you like green chili. :taco: Ask your sister about it. Maybe she may know a some other places you could fill me in on :burntchef: Let me know about any more info. about the Blue hole. You need to show your C card, sign a waiver and get a permit $10. (weekly) that you have to pick up at the court house. Rental gear is not the best. Of course it never is.
CPMurray
Just Settling In

Post by CPMurray »

H20doctor wrote:Looks like a blast.. Have fun be safe
Will do.. My daughter's first fresh water, altitude and maybe night dive all wrapped up in 24 hrs. Yes, we will be driving not flying afterwards :sunny:
CPMurray
Just Settling In

Re: Re: Blue Hole, Santa Rosa, NM

Post by CPMurray »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Sorry to hear about your sister, coach. Be aware that Gallup is on the opposite side of the state from Santa Rosa, though. I think you're talking about a 6 hour drive, one way, to go dive some clear water with nothing in it.....
True... not much in it. Cute little diver placed memorial's, action figures, signs and scene's. A few 12 inch goldfish and fresh water shrimp. Fresh water is typically boring. Its also a great swimming hole during the hot summer months as with the other diveable lakes around. I guess I'm just a dive-aholic and love the taste of clear, freshwater. No need to rinse the camera off either.
Attachments
I wonder how little this guy was when they dumped him in.
I wonder how little this guy was when they dumped him in.
Have you ever dove with a gold fish?
Have you ever dove with a gold fish?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Re: Blue Hole, Santa Rosa, NM

Post by Joshua Smith »

CPMurray wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
True... not much in it. Cute little diver placed memorial's, action figures, signs and scene's. A few 12 inch goldfish and fresh water shrimp. Fresh water is typically boring. Its also a great swimming hole during the hot summer months as with the other diveable lakes around. I guess I'm just a dive-aholic and love the taste of clear, freshwater. No need to rinse the camera off either.

Hey, nothing wrong with that; and I hope you have a great dive! I love NM, and I especially love green chile! Have some for me when you're back there!

mjachetta
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mjachetta »

I lived in Albuquerque in the 80's, I did dozens of dive in the Blue Hole, did my advanced class down the street at Perch Lake. There is a cave system, albeit, it is closed off, still peopledown there that have not been found. Could be they are out to sea, as I believe the system empties in the gulf of Mexico.

Anyway, we had great times diving and picining in Santa Rosa, have fun:)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Way cool! I had no idea that there was diving like this in NM. I'll have to check it out someday when I'm in those parts w/ my dive gear.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

HEY!!!! That's where my husband and I got certified 11 years ago!!! I have a bunch of dives in that sink hole!
Jenn
CPMurray
Just Settling In

Post by CPMurray »

enchantmentdivi wrote:HEY!!!! That's where my husband and I got certified 11 years ago!!! I have a bunch of dives in that sink hole!
Cool..... great place to get a basic C.
CPMurray
Just Settling In

Post by CPMurray »

H20doctor wrote:Looks like a blast.. Have fun be safe
Will do, thanks.
CPMurray
Just Settling In

Post by CPMurray »

mjachetta wrote:I lived in Albuquerque in the 80's, I did dozens of dive in the Blue Hole, did my advanced class down the street at Perch Lake. There is a cave system, albeit, it is closed off, still peopledown there that have not been found. Could be they are out to sea, as I believe the system empties in the gulf of Mexico.

Anyway, we had great times diving and picining in Santa Rosa, have fun:)
The cave at Perch Lake I'm sure is part of the underground aqueduct that feeds many lakes including the blue hole. The Blue hole has a constant overflow of several thousand gallons an hour which keeps it clear at a constant 64 degree temp. Warm for us cold water divers.
CPMurray
Just Settling In

Post by CPMurray »

My daughter and I had two great dives. The night dive was the best.
Attachments
Copy (2) of PICT0002.jpg
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Finally made it down here this weekend. Dove the Blue Hole and Perch Lake. Nice to be in the water, but my life could be complete without ever needing to come back. Conclusion: I want to come home to the NW. The people I was with were awesome, but I managed 30 minutes in the blue hole and an hour in the lake before I was bored stiff and thinking of slicing my own hoses just for fun. Santa Rosa is a pretty lousy little town, too.

It was 104 degrees outside today, and the drysuit was almost unbearable on the shore. The water felt good though!

Cave at the bottom of the Blue Hole looked cool. Rumor has it that it drops to 280 feet but it is, sadly, grated off. It is definitely a no-mount dive to get in there. No way in hell the rebreather would have squeezed through, and it's too narrow of a restriction on the opening for sidemount. Oh, how I would've longed to get in there today.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Woah man, sounds like a cool experience but get your ass back here. It's 70 degrees and perfect in the PNW!
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

I'm trying, Calvin, I'm trying :)
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...