Wreck of the Steamship Dix

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
boydski
Submariner

Wreck of the Steamship Dix

Post by boydski »

Laura James and I have been working for a couple of months on identifying a wood-hulled wreck that we located deep in Elliott Bay. I recently had the opportunity to dive on the wreck in OceanGate's five passenger submarine Antipodes. The submarine (3 hours of bottom time) made it possible to spend a significant amount of time on the wreck, going from the bow to the stern and to study all of the features on both the topside and hull of the vessel.

All of the observations indicate that we have located the Wreck of the Steamship Dix, which sank in 1906 with the loss of thirty-nine lives. The wreck is really too deep for Scuba, but was the largest marine casualty in Puget Sound, so has been a search target for more than one hundred years.

Taking photos through the Dome of the submarine is challenging due to the low light and distortion, but here are a few photos from my recent submarine dive on the Dix:

The propeller of the Mosquito Fleet Steamer Dix.

Passenger Windows in the aft Cabin of the Dix.

Pilot house door on the Dix.

For more information, including sonar images from the three submarine dives and two ROV dives on the wreck, please see the Wreck of the Mosquito Fleet Steamer Dix.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: Wreck of the Steamship Dix

Post by John Rawlings »

Great stuff, Scott!

What is the depth of the wreck? (never mind....I just read your link and it's shown at 500 FSW+)

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Wow! Totally cool, Scott! I'm jealous of that viz. I've tried to dive the Multnomah in 300' 3 times, now. I'm guessing it can't be too far from this wreck. And every time I've done it, viz goes down to nothing around 280'. Seems like there's a perma-layer of silty water around there.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

That's cool that it's been found and identified.

I was under the impression that it was hit and sank off Alki Point and not in Elliott Bay proper.
Purveyor of crack ;)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Joshua Smith wrote:Wow! Totally cool, Scott! I'm jealous of that viz. I've tried to dive the Multnomah in 300' 3 times, now. I'm guessing it can't be too far from this wreck. And every time I've done it, viz goes down to nothing around 280'. Seems like there's a perma-layer of silty water around there.
Never mind- just looked at the coordinates- not close at all, really. Still, congratulations- very, very cool find!

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Joshua Smith wrote: I'm jealous of that viz. Seems like there's a perma-layer of silty water around there.
Hi Josh, the viz really wasn't all that good on the wreck (and never seems to be all that good in Elliott Bay). We had to get close enough to bump the wreck with the sub to actually be able to see it very well. The Blue View sonar that the sub uses is really helpful in being able to tell where you are on the wreck. Otherwise, as you know, it's tough to stay oriented in very low visibility.

Raydar, I call anything east of the Alki - West point line Elliott bay. Puget Sound might be more correct, but Elliott bay seemed more appropriate.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

What an amazing and historically significant find. From the reading I learned that Laura had been looking for this for 2 decades. It must be extremely gratifying to have finally found it. Congratulations to both you.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Thank you! it is a dream come true :)

In the early 90's, when we were searching for the other wrecks in central sound, we'd often run patterns out around West Seattle looking for dive-able targets. I spent many an afternoon sitting there over that contact wondering if it was indeed what I dreamed it was. It seemed correct location given the reports, currents and weather predictions for the time and date of the accident - though my business partner at the time was skeptical - and not super interested because it was beyond our functional depth range at the time. The missing piece of the puzzle was not knowing how much stuff was out deeper, all the reports stating she was in 600, and it simply being too big an area to do lawnmower on with the fish finder to 'rule out'. Anyhow, when some new data came along, that didn't show anything in a wider swath, i took my info to Scott... Scott double and triple checked my theory... and... well... the rest is what you see here! :) I am so grateful that Scott went along with my tilting at windmills :)
ORDiver wrote:What an amazing and historically significant find. From the reading I learned that Laura had been looking for this for 2 decades. It must be extremely gratifying to have finally found it. Congratulations to both you.
Last edited by ljjames on Thu May 12, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Amazing. Sidescan sonar, ROV's, submersibles...they all help but nothing succeeds as well as the efforts of a couple of talented, persistent people. Well done to both of you.
- Curt :notworthy:
Happy to be alive.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Congratulations to all involved! What a terrific discovery.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I couldn't resist the temptation to run a dive plan for this one. Basically, 12 minutes on the bottom equals just under 6 hours in the water decompressing. I didn't even bother trying to come up with an OC bailout plan. I think Scott dived it the smart way....warm and dry, at 1 ATA.

Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Another cool find Scott...
Makin me jealous again. :)
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Joshua Smith wrote:I couldn't resist the temptation to run a dive plan for this one. Basically, 12 minutes on the bottom equals just under 6 hours in the water decompressing. I didn't even bother trying to come up with an OC bailout plan. I think Scott dived it the smart way....warm and dry, at 1 ATA.
Wimp.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

dsteding wrote:Wimp.
I just couldn't figure out how to stay warm for that much deco.... :angelblue:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Wreck of the Steamship Dix

Post by Joshua Smith »

dsteding wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:I couldn't resist the temptation to run a dive plan for this one. Basically, 12 minutes on the bottom equals just under 6 hours in the water decompressing. I didn't even bother trying to come up with an OC bailout plan. I think Scott dived it the smart way....warm and dry, at 1 ATA.
Wimp.
Ok, its on! Some guy who doesn't dive anymore called me a wimp on the internet! I'm gonna do a solo shore dive on this sucker! In your FACE, Steding!!!

dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Joshua Smith wrote:
dsteding wrote:
Wimp.
Ok, its on! Some guy who doesn't dive anymore called me a wimp on the internet! I'm gonna do a solo shore dive on this sucker! In your FACE, Steding!!!
Err, uh, what do you think I've been quietly doing? Been there done that, it isn't all baby poop and diapers these days.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Joshua Smith wrote:
dsteding wrote:
Wimp.
That's the way Josh! I'll pull surface support for ya from my house.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

dsteding wrote:Err, uh, what do you think I've been quietly doing? Been there done that, it isn't all baby poop and diapers these days.
My sources tell me that you and Sounder meet up at the Starbucks in the Bellevue Mall 6 days a week, between 10-11AM, where you commiserate over tripple grande skinny kiwi frappucinos for two or three hours before power shopping for bathroom accessories and throw pillows. Why do you ask?

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ljjames wrote:Thank you! it is a dream come true :)

In the early 90's, when we were searching for the other wrecks in central sound, we'd often run patterns out around West Seattle looking for dive-able targets. I spent many an afternoon sitting there over that contact wondering if it was indeed what I dreamed it was. It seemed correct location given the reports, currents and weather predictions for the time and date of the accident - though my business partner at the time was skeptical - and not super interested because it was beyond our functional depth range at the time. The missing piece of the puzzle was not knowing how much stuff was out deeper, all the reports stating she was in 600, and it simply being too big an area to do lawnmower on with the fish finder to 'rule out'. Anyhow, when some new data came along, that didn't show anything in a wider swath, i took my info to Scott... Scott double and triple checked my theory... and... well... the rest is what you see here! :) I am so grateful that Scott went along with my tilting at windmills :)
ORDiver wrote:What an amazing and historically significant find. From the reading I learned that Laura had been looking for this for 2 decades. It must be extremely gratifying to have finally found it. Congratulations to both you.

I'm really, really jazzed by this discovery, by the way- kudos to you and Scott and Ocean's gate! Are there any more dives planned, or do you guys feel that this is a positive ID?

boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Joshua Smith wrote:I'm really, really jazzed by this discovery, by the way- kudos to you and Scott and Ocean's gate! Are there any more dives planned, or do you guys feel that this is a positive ID?
Hi Josh,

There are more dives planned on the wreck. I believe OceanGate is going to try to use 3-D imaging sonar on the wreck, which should produce an incredibly detailed record of the Dix. She's actually in very good shape. The hull is just starting to rot away between the ribs and the wheelhouse and cabins are in amazing shape for a wreck that has been on the bottom for more than 100 years.

I think the sub will be back on the wreck later this month or early next month.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Very cool! :supz:
Congrats to Scott and Laura! :calvin: :snorkel:
When do we get to see it on our TV's :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

It looks like the Seattle Times just picked up this story:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2015079322_dix18m.html

It always amazes me how different the story sounds when someone else writes it. :nutty:
MikeMeagher
Dive-aholic

Post by MikeMeagher »

Congratulations regarding your discovery.
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

boydski wrote:It looks like the Seattle Times just picked up this story:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2015079322_dix18m.html

It always amazes me how different the story sounds when someone else writes it. :nutty:
Nice job Scott. Must have been fun working with Oceangate on this.
The DIX is a interesting piece of local history. Looking forward to seeing more pics and video (?)
Keep them coming.
ROB
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Yep seattle times news stands today.. Saw it at the store
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen