The 'Dond is paying off again ...

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

The 'Dond is paying off again ...

Post by Grateful Diver »

Did a lovely 76-minute solo dive at the 'Dond this morning. Vis at high tide was at least 30 feet ... maybe a bit better than that. I put in at the south beach, did a slow tour through the bottles, came up the fat rope, around by the boats and pipe, and a long safety stop at the aquarium.

Among the highlights of the dive were 11 lumpsuckers ... they're everywhere. I found five just down in the bottle field, and a few more on my way up to the shallows. They're tiny ... TINY ... right now ... and mostly nestled into the kelp. There were also the usual suspects along the way ... several red octos, stilleto shrimp, and two GPO's underneath boats.

Some pics ... the lumpie shots aren't what I'd hoped for, but they're so small they're pushing the limits of what I can do with a point-n-shoot. Lundy needs to get out there with that fabulous supermacro ability he's been showing lately and get some nicer pics of these little guys ... they're almost too small to even notice if you're not looking for them ...

And a couple of "parting shots" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: The 'Dond is paying off again ...

Post by Joshua Smith »

Bob, I can hardly believe you took those with a point-n-shoot- they look great!

On another note- I would actually like to see one of these lil guys some time....which is weird for me to realize, being such a hard-core wreck diver and all....but, yes, I would love to say that I had seen a Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker. That would be cool. Maybe you could show one to me sometime. I bet I've swam past a lot of them........
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Joshua Smith wrote:Bob, I can hardly believe you took those with a point-n-shoot- they look great!

On another note- I would actually like to see one of these lil guys some time....which is weird for me to realize, being such a hard-core wreck diver and all....but, yes, I would love to say that I had seen a Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker. That would be cool. Maybe you could show one to me sometime. I bet I've swam past a lot of them........
Dude, it's been too long since we've been diving. Redondo was almost lifeless for months after that Thanksgiving storm. It's coming back to life now. Let's go diving!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

P-Pants found two PSLs on our dive Saturday and I couldn't believe how small they were!! Teeny tiny little guys right now . . . but cute as ever.
Kelly
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Bob, you have no right to apologize for pictures like that! MY pictures are the ones one apologizes for . . .

I'd love to join you and Josh for a lumpie dive, once we're back from SoCal!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

So when will these little cuties be all grown up? I have YET to see one. And the kicker? I WAS AT REDONDO TODAY, but just toured around to say hi to folks and then went to Cove 2. Got in two great dives, but I'm really wanting to add the little lumpsucker to my "seen it" list and so far... no luck!!
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

One word, WOW.
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

love that sculpin especially!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Bob: You are a reason I don't post pictures. You set too high a standard. Lumpsuckers are cool.
- Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Thanks Bob. Great effort. You've inspired me to get my point and shoot out in the cold water again.
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

I'll have a cam w/ a gerry-rigged light (not exactly a strobe) by the... maybe I will get to SEE and PHOTOGRAPH a lumpy at the July 9th club dive! I want to dive with anyone who is identified as a lumpy-whisperer to improve my chances of seeing one.
jaytrigg27
Avid Diver

Post by jaytrigg27 »

Insane pics, Thanks for sharing!
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

That pic of the octo is awesome, nice work!
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

If you dont mind my asking, what kind of point/shoot camera are you using?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Canon G10 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Can I buddy up with you at the club dive on July 9th and perhaps increase my chances of actually seeing one of these things!? It's on my todo list!! :)
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Definitely!

I usually get there before everybody else and go do a solo dive ... then spend the day being "tour guide" for other folks.

So now you're on my buddy list ...

... Bob