Now for something completely different

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Furnari
Aquaphile

Now for something completely different

Post by Furnari »

Our local dive club visited Smith Reservoir, which is about 70 miles east of Eugene, along the McKenzie River. It's part of a hydroelectric project that works like this- water is diverted from the McKenzie into Carmen Reservoir, then it travels underground through a 2 mile long tunnel to Smith Reservoir. From there, the water runs through a penstock to a turbine, into Trailbridge Reservoir, then back into the McKenzie.

The attraction to us was the outflow from the diversion tunnel into Smith Reservoir. The day we went, the tunnel was about 45 feet below the surface of the water. We would take turns descending into the outflow, where we'd be carried at a high rate of speed a couple hundred yards into the lake. I've dove in some brisk currents, but this was easily the fasted I've ever moved under water. The video doesn't do this justice- it definitely was something different from any other dive.

http://youtu.be/GbvnYq49YOc
60south
Pelagic

Re: Now for something completely different

Post by 60south »

What a scream! I love it.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Awesome! I wanna play! :supz:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

That was the shizz..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Wow just wow. I think I may have just made a new addition to my bucket list

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Ya kidding me? I'm in. A guy like me would have the "torpedo" effect from the mouth of that tunnel. Awesome!
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

haha awesome!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

That looks like a blast!!!!! :supz:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

That looks SO cool! Is there any particular time of year you are able to do this? Does it require any sort of planning? Looks like such fun - at first I'm thinking (after watching the rocks) - they're NUTS! But then seeing the footage and that everyone survives, you start thinking it would be a blast to try this.

More details!

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

More details:

The dive is about a mile from the closest road. There's a gravel boat ramp, but I first found about this from a guy who gets there via kayak. The ramp is at the south end of the lake, and the outflow is close to the north end. There's also a campground at the north end accessible by boat / kayak / trained dolphin. Once you're at the north end of the lake it's hard to miss- there's a pretty good whirlpool of stuff on the service. Descend the slope to the concrete tunnel exit, drop in and hang on. From a risk management perspective it really wasn't too bad-I'm not saying I would do this right out of OW but I never felt scared or anything.

It's a little over 2,000 feet so it's almost an altitude dive. As long as the roads are clear of snow you can get there-I would say from April to October you'll be ok.

The volume of water depends on the hydroelectric needs of the power company that runs it- the project is set up as a peak source. It's possible that flows might be lower when river levels drop so they can keep more water in the channel for the fishies. Speaking of, in the first run in the video you can see a trout flash by on the right. Fish tended to hang on the edge of the flow, but since they're mostly planters they're not much of an attraction. Not that I'm elitist or anything :pirate:

By the way, if you come down to check out this dive, I highly recommend Clear Lake which is just a few more miles up the road. Highlights include 150+ feet of viz and 3,000 year old sunken trees. If anyone ever wants to check these out, pm me and I can help with arrangements on this end...
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Are you kidding me?
Do this dive and clear lake on the same day?
Sign me up! I'M in! :supz: :partydance: :taco:
Now who can we get to organize such a dive?(s)
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

The weekend of the 16th is a full moon. I haven't done the full moon thing at Clear Lake (changing out of my wetsuit in the parking lot doesn't count), but I hear it's spectacular. Just sayin'.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I would be interested in going on this if it begins to get organized.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Coming down to dive with you guys at Florence two weeks ago was fun but this looks like a blast.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
straitscuba
Aquaphile

Post by straitscuba »

My sister lives in Cottage Grove, looks like it may be a fun side trip next time I visit!