Long Island Wall

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Long Island Wall

Post by CaptnJack »

Edge and myself have made this pilgrimage playing hooky to Long Island Wall twice now. This wasn't the greatest visibility, but still an awesome wall dive. One of the best in Washington in my opinion.
We multilevel the hell out of this wall on scooters from a dead boat on the flood. 25/25 backgas, max depth 128fsw, 84mins of bottom time, only 10mins on oxygen for deco. This may have been the only sunny day in May; we skipped dive 2 for beer at a state park. Awesome sauce.
http://www.vimeo.com/25946693
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Long Island Wall

Post by LCF »

What day did you do it, and what time? (I'd like to look up what the tides actually were.) Did you have a boat tender?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Tuesday May 24th 2011

Left my house on the 4:30 ferry to Fauntleroy/West Seattle
Left Capital Hill about 5:40am
Launched WA Park about 8:15am
max +0.9kn flood was at 8:35am
Splash at about 10:15am
San Juan Channel slack before ebb 11:26am
Exit water maybe 11:40ish
max -1.4kn ebb at 2:43pm

DEAD boat = nobody on it. You can see the weather was friendly. My boat is <600lbs empty and my anchor system is 2x as heavy with anchor and chain as Nottie's so keep that in mind... :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Well that's timely - I'm heading out there _early_ tomorrow AM. I like Long Island Wall for the Strawberry Anemones :)
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Serious dedication! I should play hooky more. Oh wait... I'm already working a part-time schedule :eek:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

diverden wrote:Serious dedication!
I got my A-list sites. :joshsmith: I don't do Cove2 (or Redondo, Les Davis, etc either).
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

If there's room on the boat for the next hookie-day, I'm already feeling a cough coming on...
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Was a fine morning on the water, despite some significant swell coming across Rosario Strait and a pretty thick fog bank. 35' visibility at Long Island Wall. We set shrimp pots on the way around Iceberg Point and retrieved them on the way home. Four pots out, 3 licenses on board, and the first pot we pulled contained 190 nice big spot shrimp. Needless to say, we limited on the second pot and had to throw a _lot_ of shrimp back. Then I had to get back for work :-/
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir