Gray Whale at Edmonds

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
mkmc
Avid Diver

Gray Whale at Edmonds

Post by mkmc »

Last year in April I was moments away from swimming over the top of a feeding gray whale at Edmonds UWP on a beautiful clear day when it decided to seek greener pastures elsewhere. I thought I would have to wait another lifetime to see one in the water while diving.
Well I had some good luck because I only had to wait a little more than a year.
Yesterday at Edmonds my dive buddy were swimming in from a great dive when we surfaced only about 150 feet north of the jetty. After swimming toward the beach for a while we noticed that there was about 50 people lined up on the jetty all looking our direction, almost directly at us. A few seconds later, the exhalation of a whale blasted from the surface about 50 feet south of us, and the unmistakable barnacle covered back of a gray whale appear on the surface. Looking into the water I noticed a plume of kelp that had been kicked off the bottom by something BIG! This was my chance to see one, I watched the surface for ripples and swam into place where I thought it would be moving and sure enough out of the haze swam the largest animal I had ever seen, and it was hauling ass! It came directly at me, then pulled off to the side, coming within 5 feet or so, the rest of its length sliding past me. My buddy and I estimated the length at maybe 30-35 feet. Back at the surface we watched its ripples and exhalations as it swam around north of the jetty for several minutes. The other cool thing that there was a Dive Class in the water near us, and the whale surfaced very close to them, could you imagine their excitement?

While on the surface we saw it twice more, as it moved past underneath us. The whale was a midget compared to a full size adult. But still it was one of the greatest thrills of my life, and it occured on a pretty normal day, which is the reason I love diving, any day you can see something you may never see again.

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Gray Whale at Edmonds

Post by Norris »

Amazing....nice

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

very cool! congrats.
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

Awwesome. Thanks for the report!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wonderful!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Great story! Hopefully, she will come back to surprise more divers.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
mkmc
Avid Diver

Post by mkmc »

coulterboy wrote:Great story! Hopefully, she will come back to surprise more divers.

It's possible. Last year gray whales were seen in front of Edmonds near the ferry and the fishing pier on multiple days.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Too bad you didn't get any pictures. Or did you? :smt064
Looks like that could have been, a once in a life time experience!
Great report, but a few pics would be nice too.

Cheers,
Keith
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
mkmc
Avid Diver

Post by mkmc »

Nope, no pictures unfortunately. However the moment is seared into my memory.
My buddy did have a camera, but it wasn't working.
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Amazing. Thanks for sharing. That's wonderful just to hear about it!
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
mkmc
Avid Diver

Post by mkmc »

Bad News: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... le28m.html

Seeing how there is probably only a few, if any gray whales in the sound at any one time, I would assume this is the same whale I saw. The size seems to match, and believe it or not but the barnacle patch on the upper jaw look familiar.