SS Governor

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

SS Governor

Post by Joshua Smith »

Well, as we do almost every summer, our team dived the wreck of the SS Governor just recently. It was a great weekend, despite some challenges, and, we.....uh.....well, we found the Ship's Bell! :joshsmith:

This is a pretty big deal for us, the Maritime Documentation Society. I wish I could take some credit, other than to say I was nearby when it happened, but props go out to BJ and Rob for spotting it and digging it out of the wreckage. Dan filmed it, and I will present some footage here when it becomes available.

Here's a LINK to the official press release!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
jackieg
Amphibian

Re: SS Governor

Post by jackieg »

Way to go! And to think I was 'almost' there! Nicely done team!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Very cool find. Congratulations on not only a good dive on the wreck, but something literally to write home about :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

that is f'n awesome. congrats, BJ and Rob!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Fabulous! That is a huge deal from where I sit!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Very cool. Congrats all around guys!
:supz:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Fantastic! A hearty WELL DONE to the members of the MDS!!!!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Okay so Josh explained the exciting part of the dive but he failed to post the trip report. so here is my attempt to trip report this past weekend. this way those of you who haven't seen it before can can feel as though they have :partydance:

The day of the first dive started out with beautiful sunshine and a smooth sailing across on the ferry to kingston. Although the coffee stand by the ferry was closed the morning still seemed to be going nicely. I just waited for coffee on the ferry. once loaded up We worked our way to the dining area to get coffee and converse with the rest of the gang. That being the MDS crew, or most of it anyhow. we always have a great time talking about past dives on the SS Governor. this time due to fog on the horizon, thick soupy fog, a story came up from 7 or eight years ago. One of the first few people to dive the governor with Ron Akeson of Adventures down under and local boy Jerome Ryan, was no other than Rob Wilson. Who just so happens to be my partner in finding the bell. So the story is one I have heard before, but this time it was different. because it meant if it didn't lift we weren't diving.

The story was basically about how you don't dive in shipping lanes on a drifting decompression dive where you can't see shit. One time the fog came in so thick that the boat lost the bouy and the drifting divers were unseen by the charter boat for a few minutes. I'll save the story for someone to tell you all that was there. but as we chatted I just hoped the fog was lifting. I was not about to jump in and be run over by a Hanjin freighter because I had to do the dive. I knew it would be there again. by now the ferry has arrived in kingston and we are off to our favorite Breakfast place in Port Townsend.

Rob and I always order this custom scramble and two fried eggs on top, no matter what restaurant we are at, this place had our exact mix on the menu. We knew this was going to be a good weekend.

We loaded the boat and motored out into the fog toward Point wilson, it wasn't looking choice, and we all kinda knew today was not going to be a diving day. Everyone on the boat including the Captain had enough experience on diving in shipping lanes and doing deco to know this was not a good combo to throw in fog. It just wasn't going to happen. There was only a quarter mile of vis on the surface, not worth it. so we all left and Captain Phil putted up to the navy base for a splash on the reefer. In only 40 fsw there is a boat that is not in 400 fsw like some say it is. nice dive although some of us dived into beer and wine instead of the water.

Day two:

Rob and I started the day of with the same breakfast and coffee. Met at the boat at 9am, rob and I were buddied up. you never know the teams till the day of the dive. every camera team needs a reel man and a strobe man. well today rob and I dived as a pair, no camera, go figure cause we found THE BELL OF THE SS GOVERNOR, oh yeah baby, not a fork or a spoon or even a wine bottle, but the BELL OF THE SHIP. I remember as we swam up on it Rob and I (both MDS board members) both looked at each other as we scootered up to this strange shape. I thought to myself this isn't a natural shape, and the barnacles on it were not like the others around. So we started digging, in perfect trim of course knees never touched the ground :angelblue: , and as the silt storm cleared in the ripping current, forgot to mention I went down the line on speed 7 of my Cuda. the silt revealed a Bell, the Bell, a BRASS BELL OF THE SHIP. we both grabbed each other's shoulders and hooted and shouted so load the surface heard up i sure. we flashed our lights and dan was just taking his sweet ass time to come and film it. So i stayed put and Rob went to get Dan - only 30 feet away taking film of fish in a toilet for all we knew. When Dan and Paul arrived on the scene of the BELL they too were hooting and laughing. this was a great find, and for ROB and I to find it even cooler. Dan took some wonderful footage of it, and Rob and I moved it back into a cubby hole where only we know where it is. that's so that no yahoo's go and steal it from Bob Mester and Mark Allen. an hour of deco and then we shared the news with the boat crew and other dive team, and here we are now, talking about one of the richest finds of the GOV ever. Also one of the greatest finds ever For Maritime Documentation Society to date. so this was a big day for all of us, and made up for making a choice from experience not to dive in Shipping lanes in the Fog. WOOOOOHOOOOO MDS comes through for Bob an Mark :supz: :supz:

I hope you enjoyed reading I know I'm not the best writer, but hey we found the BELL :neener:

BJ-Maverick
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Congrats to the fellas for finding the bell! Dan, how about sharing a screen grab so we all get a look-see? :)

As my team began our drifting ascent on Sunday, we went right over the other teams. I saw Dan's vid lights and then a few folks around one fixed point and a couple of guys anchored down and digging like crazy with their hands. I realized they must've found something that they were trying to uncover, but I could not for the life of me see WHAT it was as we began our drift deco. Glad to hear it was something cool. I'm bummed I had packed away the camera prior to drifting over them as it would've made for some fun "see them finding and documenting something cool" footage. Them's the breaks!

My team did get out on the Governor on Saturday, and we did a drift deco with no problems. We had only one dive team on the boat, we had a great captain and we were very patient. We went ahead and grappled early, hoping for the best, and then took our time watching the weather. The fog lifted right as the slack window opened, and we had blue sky above us, so we went for it... and had the first of two epic dives. It was a spectacular dive and I am very glad we did it!

While I made no historic finds whatsoever, <grin> this past weekend was just a fantastic first experience for me on the Governor. It is always special when you get to dive on a very historic, uber-challenging wreck. I am looking forward to going back... we lucked out this past weekend with epic topside conditions and pretty solid vis. The current... uh, yeah. It was, shall we say, "sporty". I was glad to have a Cuda Fury for both days. I hear the current can be worse, but it was a pretty good arsebuster both days!

Kudos again to the MDS guys on the find. Let's see some photos/video!!!
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

Laurynn Congrats on your first Gov dives. Over the years it has come to be one my favorites. Everytime I think I have it figured out it reveals a little more as if just to remind me that I don't. So what's next on your list? Sampson? Bunker Hill?

BJ & I got real lucky with our find. I had been in that very same area last year and missed it along with several other team members.
But hey even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometime.
Video will be released soon. Dan is trying to get it this week.
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
in_minsk_we_trust
Avid Diver

Post by in_minsk_we_trust »

Maverick wrote: I know I'm not the best writer...
Yeah you suck at writing but that didn't keep me from laughing all the way through that post. Nice write-up.

Congrats guys. Amazing work. Can't wait to see what's next! :taco:
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Awesome exciting news guys!!!!!! simply fantastic!!!!!! looking forward to the video!!!!! <edit dan edit>
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Congrats, guys!

Nice job

And congrats to Laurynn and her team!
Last edited by BDub on Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

rjw wrote:Laurynn Congrats on your first Gov dives. Over the years it has come to be one my favorites. Everytime I think I have it figured out it reveals a little more as if just to remind me that I don't. So what's next on your list? Sampson? Bunker Hill?

BJ & I got real lucky with our find. I had been in that very same area last year and missed it along with several other team members. But hey even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometime.
Thanks for the congrats. :) Diving the Gov is a pretty big milestone for any diver, and it's an especially significant one for me for a variety of reasons. Those two dives are something that I will never forget! I think the Bunker Hill looks like it is on the docket soon. Should be good times... and I'm looking forward to it.

As for "the find" and luck... hey, blind squirrel or not, your name goes down as having found it. And that is, as Lynne mentioned, something to write home about. Kudos to you!

Hope we get to cross paths again soon on some of those fun dives! :)
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I neglected to give you and your team props, Laurynn. My apologies. I was bursting with excitement about the bell, and waiting for the press release to come out before I wrote anything. Congratulations! The Gov is a huge accomplishment. And this puts you not only on the short list of people who have made this dive, but on the much shorter list of WOMEN who have done it! I don't really know, but this would make you #5 or #6?

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Josh good point about the woman thing. I think its a bit more though, there are three on this site alone. Mel, Giana, and now laurynn. I am pretty sure that Laura hasn't even been on the wreck yet. and I know Mel has dived it, but think she was blown off and didn't make it down to the wreck. But knowing Mel she has probably been on it since. Laurynn congratulations its a wonderful wreck to dive. wait till you start to know your way around it, and thinkk well ive seen that before as you swim by. I hve only dived it three times and all three times we hooked the same spot, so i know htat area only, Rob knows the who ship having been on it 13 times.

BJ
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Huge Congrats to all the teams that made the wreck and especially to Rob and BJ! I only hope by the time I have the experience and training to attempt it there will be some of it left.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

HUGE CONRATS to both the MDS team on finding the bell AND to Laurynn for being the 3rd female to hit the wreck!! Laurynn is amongst some talented company with Mel and Jeanna... and THE bell, not just any bell, but THE BELL of the Governor!! Fan-f'ing-tastic all around!!

Sounds like a rather historic weekend on a few levels all around. I can't congratulate either MDS or Laurynn enough, and from somewhere deep inside me (for no other reason than I love diving and love maritime history), I feel a sense of gratitude for not only finding the bell (huge!), but also for doing the right thing by stashing it in a known location so the proper owners can retrieve it.

Well done to all of you, on all accounts!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

BJ is a veritable underwater rabbit's foot. Finding the bell was unavoidable with him around. Just take your BJ out of the wrapper, add some water (salt or fresh) and then dangle him around above the silty bottom and... BANG! There's the bell of the Governor. :supz:
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Thanks for the props BJ, Josh, and Doug... that means a lot to me. :) I dunno what number female I am to dive the Governor, I just know it's been a precious few women who attempted it at all, and still fewer who have managed to be successful in their attempt and do a full dive on it, and fewer still who did more than one dive on it. The women who have been on the Gov prior to me are people that I admire and hold in high regard. I may not know if I'm woman number 3 or 4 or 27 to dive the Gov. But I do know one thing: now that I truly know just how challenging that wreck is to dive, I 100% respect anyone who's successfully dove the Governor, male or female.

So, beyond the "girl count" thing there was another reason these dives were a landmark for me. I had actually hoped to dive the Gov last summer. In spring 2010 I found out I had to have major surgery. So, last summer, instead of diving the Gov, I spent a week at Evergreen Medical and another month recovering while my gills dried out. It was two months before I could even don and dive doubles in any way at all, and still another month before a T2 package was feasible. Anyways, this past Saturday, the day of my first dive on the Gov, marked one year to the day that I had my surgery. Not a bad way to celebrate a return to full health. :)

But all that aside, while I got in a pair of amazing dives, I didn't go off making any historic finds the way SOME people did. <grin> Kudos again to BJ and Rob for finding the bell. *That* is kick-ass. Can't wait to see it!!!

Laurynn

PS: Did y'all get buzzed by an insanely huge number of dogfish during your deco? We had swarms of 'em all the way up both days. Just curious... is that normal? <grin>
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

seainggreen wrote:Thanks for the props BJ, Josh, and Doug... that means a lot to me. :) I dunno what number female I am to dive the Governor, I just know it's been a precious few women who attempted it at all, and still fewer who have managed to be successful in their attempt and do a full dive on it, and fewer still who did more than one dive on it. The women who have been on the Gov prior to me are people that I admire and hold in high regard. I may not know if I'm woman number 3 or 4 or 27 to dive the Gov. But I do know one thing: now that I truly know just how challenging that wreck is to dive, I 100% respect anyone who's successfully dove the Governor, male or female.

So, beyond the "girl count" thing there was another reason these dives were a landmark for me. I had actually hoped to dive the Gov last summer. In spring 2010 I found out I had to have major surgery. So, last summer, instead of diving the Gov, I spent a week at Evergreen Medical and another month recovering while my gills dried out. It was two months before I could even don and dive doubles in any way at all, and still another month before a T2 package was feasible. Anyways, this past Saturday, the day of my first dive on the Gov, marked one year to the day that I had my surgery. Not a bad way to celebrate a return to full health. :)

But all that aside, while I got in a pair of amazing dives, I didn't go off making any historic finds the way SOME people did. <grin> Kudos again to BJ and Rob for finding the bell. *That* is kick-ass. Can't wait to see it!!!

Laurynn

PS: Did y'all get buzzed by an insanely huge number of dogfish during your deco? We had swarms of 'em all the way up both days. Just curious... is that normal? <grin>
dog fish not normal in my experience, must have been the smell of your undergarment :rofl: thats cool though gives you something to watch since josh bought the last idive ever made
Maverick

STAIRS.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: SS Governor

Post by Joshua Smith »

seainggreen wrote:Did y'all get buzzed by an insanely huge number of dogfish during your deco? We had swarms of 'em all the way up both days. Just curious... is that normal? <grin>
No, gotta say, that seems unusual to me. I've splashed there 5 times, and made it onto the wreck 4 times. Never seen a single dogfish, though.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounds like everyone had a successful weekend :) That darn wreck is too much time, money, and plain old work for me to do again right now. Kudos for putting in the effort. So does BobM want the bell, or is he donating it somewhere, giving it back to you, or what is going on with it (ownership-wise). I'm kinda surprised he didn't find that years ago actually, so score :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: SS Governor

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:Sounds like everyone had a successful weekend :) That darn wreck is too much time, money, and plain old work for me to do again right now. Kudos for putting in the effort. So does BobM want the bell, or is he donating it somewhere, giving it back to you, or what is going on with it (ownership-wise). I'm kinda surprised he didn't find that years ago actually, so score :)
Hard to say what's going to happen with the bell. There's been some talk of seeing if a museum might want it. I favor either that, or leaving it on the wreck. It's Mester's call to make. Bringing it back up is going to be an interesting job, if that ever happens.

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Congratulations to the entire team ! What a feat :supz:
7.25.11 Governor bell 1S.jpg
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown