That vicious water tried to kill me!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Blaiz
Pelagic

That vicious water tried to kill me!

Post by Blaiz »

Yesterday I called the shop to check in with Paul whether he was going diving in the morning, and whether I might tag along. Not only did he have plans, but as I called, Karl walked into the shop after a two month absence! Great timing! We all made plans to meet at Deception Pass State Park to catch the morning tide.

Arriving early, I scooted my gear down to the water's edge. There was a heavy fog, with the bridge just barely visible from the beach. Already the fishermen were shoulder to shoulder, casting dirty looks when they saw my scuba gear. With my buddies' arrival, plus a surprise appearance by Jan, we got underway.

Karl as my buddy, we reviewed the dive, then headed in. I had to put some real effort into swimming away from the beach, the water strongly pushing me back toward shore. Getting out and down a ways, we hung onto a boulder and paused for a moment. Turns out Karl was trying to say, hang out here for another ten minutes or so. What I read was, what are you waiting for? With a kick and a twist, we plunged into the current, quickly being swept eastward toward the bridge. The clarity of the water was really not too bad, which was good, cause we could see what was around us. Especially since it was coming very fast. We had made it down to about 65 feet and were cruising along looking at the pretty colors, when I realized that it was the bridge abutment I was seeing, all covered in piles of giant barnacles. With the current trying to pull me out into the strait, I kicked toward the bridge, to be within a hand grab, if needed. One more kick, and suddenly the toes of my fins began flipping up. And then my computer began beeping ascent. I was dumping every bit of air out of my suit and BC as fast as I could, breathing out every breath as far as possible, but found myself continuing to rise. I grabbed barnacles, trying to slow my ascent. They ripped off. I put my arms above me to grab another double handful of barnacles. I had to turn my face aside as my body was forced up into the barnacle field, then scraped up along the wall. The appearance of tubeworms provided temporary salvation, except that the roller coaster ride took a sudden jerk to the left and I let my handful of newly-liberated tubeworms go in order to snag a new grip. At this point, we were about 18 inches deep, so we just surfaced and had a little chat about what the hell to do now.I had a very bad moment when I couldn't find the camera, envisioning it having snapped off its tether somewhere in the current. Turned out it had made its way across my belly and was hanging up beyond my left arm. Whew!
2011_08060078 (Medium).JPG
Calm, and collected, we headed back down, only for me to discover that my sinus was not going to let me get below 15 feet again. With the water pulling strongly down and out, I signaled us up and told Karl about the problem. We headed back around the bridge footing, about five feet down, clawing hand to hand. There was one really awesome/bad spot. The water poured over a large boulder so hard that my regulator and mask were shaking and dancing, and the strands of kelp below us were doing crazy gyrations, but once we got past that area we did much better, with the current slacking off enough that we were able to enjoy a nice dive, slowly working down to about 25 feet while heading back in. Karl found a beautiful Monterrey Dorid, with its gill plumes fluffed out, and its foot extending from its bumpy cover.
2011_08060080 (Medium).JPG
A very large Irish Lord came swimming up to check Karl out, then proceeded to barf on him. Was quite interesting to watch, as the fish sat there, then opened its mouth and puked, several times. I thought the food was supposed to go intothe fish. :dontknow:
At least there were few urchins along the barnacle walls, the area where I was pulling along hand to hand, but I was pleased to see the big red ones in calmer water.
2011_08060088 (Medium).JPG
I was amused to see brain sponge. Not quite as good as brain coral, but I can settle for it.
2011_08060101 (Medium).JPG
And finally, just as we were getting out I saw this grass type plant, with gorgeous golden highlights. I thought at first that it might be some sort of fisherman's thing, as it had line caught in it, but saw other plants like it around the area.
2011_08060104 (Medium).JPG
Getting chilled, Karl and I surfaced and headed in. We managed to get a 47 minute dive in, which was a lot of wonderful fun. Especially the adrenaline rush. It was interesting to have such an acute lesson in the application of the z-axis to my xy world. To never experience sixty to zero in 12 seconds again wouldn't make me sad, but I can't say I begrudge the experience. Thank you Karl, for once again putting up with me! And many thanks to Paul and Jan!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: That vicious water tried to kill me!

Post by Dusty2 »

Hey Blaiz, you missed your chance! that gold bush you saw at the last??? If you'd looked real close you would have seen several Eubranchus rustyus on it. That is their favorite hydroid.

Scary for sure the bridge pylon is just about the worst place you can be when there is any kind of current. Glad you could get a hand hold.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

That's a very cool Monterey dorid picture -- I've never seen one with a foot extruded like that.

We dove Skyline this morning, and the currents were not as predicted. We got our butts handed to us the first time we tried; 20 minutes later, there was no current at all. So maybe you guys were just a little early?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

yeah, it seemed we were early. karl got to say i told you so :)
The student was ready.

Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

Glad your ok and had a great dive. I will be over next Saturday so lets plan a couple dives. The tides look like we could make it all the way from driftwood to the jetty with no problems!
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Mateo1147 wrote:Glad your ok and had a great dive. I will be over next Saturday so lets plan a couple dives. The tides look like we could make it all the way from driftwood to the jetty with no problems!
absolutely! you betcha!
The student was ready.

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Some times we forget that those are current "predictions" not what mother nature might actually throw our way. Some times she just forgets to read those charts! :neener:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

slamo ... Bam O.. what a ride ... glad you had fun
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

You"ve just been washed. Now you can go to the Dryer. I'm glad you're alright and still had a fairly good dive with good pics.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
qrazydutch
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by qrazydutch »

Like your pictures and how you describe what is happening. Appreciate your mails.....Q