More Hood Canal Diving

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

More Hood Canal Diving

Post by gutholmj »

It seems like I've been diving nothing but Hood Canal lately. I wonder if that's a bad thing as conditions have been really good for summer. Dale and I met up at Pt. Whitney for another trip to Pulali. It was another beautiful day and it's always nice when you can see the bottom 20' below the boat.

I didn't really find anything fantastic to photograph so I spent most of the day taking pics of crabs, cucumbers and anemones, trying to find interesting perspectives.

This is my favorite pic of the day.
DSC_0071.jpg
I'm not even certain what this is but I think the texture and geometry is really beautiful. The image is a section about 2cm wide.
DSC_0072.jpg
This one kind of creeps me out. IIRC, it's a leather star. I've never noticed the little tentacles on the back of them before. I get the willies imagining them crawling out of my skin.
DSC_0064.jpg
This is of course, the pointy thing on a cucumber and didn't come out quite the way I was hoping but when I was reviewing the pics I noticed something cool.
DSC_0041.jpg
This is the cool thing from the image above. I just love finding these little microcosms within a larger photo.
DSC_0041z.jpg
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: More Hood Canal Diving

Post by LCF »

Oh, LOVE the supermacro!

The "tentacles" on the starfish remind me of a funny story. Several years ago, an internet friend came here from Chicago, and I took him diving. He warned me before he came that he was afraid of fish, so I took him to Edmonds :D We got in the water, and hadn't swum more than a short way before he encountered a California sea star. He reached down to touch it, and the little pincers on its back stuck to his glove, so when he pulled his hand back, the star came with it. I look around, and here is Tony, violently shaking his hand, trying to get rid of the "attacking" starfish. He told me at the end of the dive that I hadn't warned him about the vicious predators in our waters . . . and the punchline is that the very next Northwest Dive News had an article about those starfish entitled, "Vicious Predators"!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

great pictures, James. Always a bonus when you find something else in your pictures!

Here is the picture of the war bonnet, 2"needle fish that we've been seeing and the 'little prickily fish' that I don't have any idea what he is

great day to be on/under the water
Attachments
IMG_2088.JPG
IMG_2078.JPG
IMG_2075.JPG
It's a good day.... nobody died!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

LCF wrote:... Several years ago, an internet friend came here from Chicago, and I took him diving. He warned me before he came that he was afraid of fish, so I took him to Edmonds :D
Thanks for the new sig line!
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Damn nice macro work!

That #2 pic is really fascinating! It looks like a colony of assidians of some sort but I have never seen anything like it. Hope Greg or someone chimes in on this one.
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

LCF wrote:Oh, LOVE the supermacro!
Thanks!
LCF wrote:He warned me before he came that he was afraid of fish, so I took him to Edmonds
That's a great story. You are my kind of people.
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

deep diver wrote:great pictures, James. Always a bonus when you find something else in your pictures!

Here is the picture of the war bonnet, 2"needle fish that we've been seeing and the 'little prickily fish' that I don't have any idea what he is

great day to be on/under the water
That's cool that you were able to capture the little tubesnouts. I probably wasted 20 minutes trying to get a picture of those little guys on Thursday and came back with nothing.

Thanks again for another great day. I'm getting really spoiled with all the boat diving.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Beautiful shots. My favorite is the second one. What texture and love the pattern.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Nice james ...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Dusty2 wrote:Damn nice macro work!

That #2 pic is really fascinating! It looks like a colony of assidians of some sort but I have never seen anything like it. Hope Greg or someone chimes in on this one.
Thanks Rich. Through the viewfinder it just looked like cool lines and shapes. It wasn't until I got the pics on the computer that I could see how three dimensional all the little features are. It reminds me of futuristic architecture or something. I'd love to figure out a way to get an extension tube in my port and get some 2:1 or 3:1 shots but I might be approaching the limit of my ability to hold the camera in position.