Wolfeels like Sidemount too!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

At last Monday's MMM dive I wanted to try out some changes that I made to my ghetto sidemount rig, and Pauli and Kelvininin were kind enough to oblige me with a little single tank sidemount goofing off.

Somehow I managed to unclip the right side bungee so it was dangling during most of the dive (thanks team for noticing that one!) The left side bungee wasn't tight enough, so the nose of the tank was hanging a little too low, and the waist strap was sliding around, so the butt was a little too high but overall it felt really stable and was fun, even though I find a single al80 depressingly small for dives in the PNW.

Towards the end of the dive I found myself getting molested by a wolfeel that came right at us out of a pile of tires. I know they're usually not dangerous and all that, but having any wild animal come right at your face, then start wrapping itself around your body is (for me anyway) disconcerting.

Thanks to Paul and Kevin for shooting video for me. :taco:

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/29351654[/vimeo]

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Wolfeels like Sidemount too!

Post by Grateful Diver »

:rofl: ... she thinks she's a remora!

They're so much like humans ... really cute when they're young, then all wrinkly and scary looking when they get older ... :eek:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Kelvininin
Avid Diver

Post by Kelvininin »

Awesome! Thanks for posting, you will have to let us know when the little baby wolf eels come along.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

What fun! Did you know he was there?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

LCF wrote:What fun! Did you know he was there?
I knew he was there, he came out of that pile of tires straight at my face, swerving under me about 3" from my mask.

Unfortunately my camera was clipped off when that happened, otherwise I'm certain the video would contain the sound of me screaming like a little girl through my reg....
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Cute video.
Too bad she didn't bite your butt :p
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

That video has the wrong music. It should have been Vanity Fair's "Hitching a Ride" :rofl:
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:Cute video.
I thought she was going to!

Dave, I'm lazy, notice no title or credits? I have six or so royalty free songs I downloaded a while ago that I use for most everything.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:

Dave, I'm lazy, notice no title or credits? I have six or so royalty free songs I downloaded a while ago that I use for most everything.
No wonder you were so still! :neener:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

That's amazing! Sensuous... :luv:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Nwbrewer wrote:

Ya know posting on YouTube they will let you use whatever song you want. They will just assure that credit is given to the artist and then there is a link placed near the video allowing people to purchase it if they desire. Kinda cool if you ask me.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Norris wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:

Ya know posting on YouTube they will let you use whatever song you want. They will just assure that credit is given to the artist and then there is a link placed near the video allowing people to purchase it if they desire. Kinda cool if you ask me.
I didn't know that Norris, thanks for the tip. Maybe I can use cooler music from now on.

mjachetta
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mjachetta »

Thanks for sharing, too cute :supz:
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

awesome!!! hitchhiking wolf eel!! looked kinda lazy to me...
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

That was awesome... but I think Ross and I met that little eel a few weeks ago... and yes, i screamed in terror too!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

fun vid, jake. encounters like that are always great, and even better when you can film it!

you're looking really comfortable in your sidemount rig. have you sidemounted two bottles yet?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

spatman wrote:fun vid, jake. encounters like that are always great, and even better when you can film it!

you're looking really comfortable in your sidemount rig. have you sidemounted two bottles yet?
A few times, but I only own 1 Al80, and Pauli's was empty on Monday so I couldn't steal it. The main thing I came away with from that dive was that putting my weight belt under my waist harness isn't a good idea. It winds up shifting and leaving the waist strap loose, which is why the bottle was high in the back. I made some more tweaks last night and I'll try and bum a 2nd al80 and go with 2 bottles.

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nwbrewer wrote:A few times, but I only own 1 Al80, and Pauli's was empty on Monday so I couldn't steal it. The main thing I came away with from that dive was that putting my weight belt under my waist harness isn't a good idea. It winds up shifting and leaving the waist strap loose, which is why the bottle was high in the back. I made some more tweaks last night and I'll try and bum a 2nd al80 and go with 2 bottles.
We should get together for a couple dives. I might have a second pair of hp100s you could borrow, or I can at least bring my al80 for you.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Cool!
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Blaiz wrote:That was awesome... but I think Ross and I met that little eel a few weeks ago... and yes, i screamed in terror too!
We still haven't come up with a signal for Don't let the wolf eel get inside my hood!.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver