I got Hit HARD .... LMJ

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

I got Hit HARD .... LMJ

Post by H20doctor »

well it finally happened to me... today at the Muk .. we had just finished dive 1 and did our safety stop .. we headed up slope and hit the shallow rocks.. as i was frog kicking like a stud, some knuckel head was pulling on my fin being a smart ass... so i decided to kck the sling shots into turbo mode and i kicked away at 3 knots ... as i kicked i felt a hot flash on my lips, DAM , like what the Hell was that ? , then instant stinging... a few more kick and my brain said Jelly fish .. i looked and looked but couldnt see a dang thing ??? , as i got to the surface .. i saw a reddish jelly on top of the water , Lions maine , but it didnt look like it had any tenticles ... so into the shore and back to the my Van...

Now let me describe to you the pain.... i have never Been stung ... this was my first time in 11 years of diving .. and i have filmed a lot of jelly fish with video ... Many .. some with 25 feet of tenticles.. and never been hit... this sucker was a stealth hit to my lip.. i didnt see it at all ... but man the pain was building ... I could feel the inside of my lip Boiling , like hot water.. it was like hot needles , and waves of stinging ... like air pockets of hot venom moving inside my lip.. and it got hotter.. and more intense as the minutes went by ... there were moment of Hot stinging and jabbing , like someone had a needle and was taking it out on my lip.. this sucker Hurt .. Man Oh man ... Hmmm so now what ? Yep grab the cup i Pee'd in and give that lip a dash of Urine... Well it didnt do a dang thing ... NUTHIN ...
well now i have another tank to dive , what the Hell get back in and see if dive 2 will kill it off ..
dive 2 done ... get out of the water , and instant sting again... I also got hit on my left cheek bone ...
so i pack up drive back to my house , get some vinig on it ... Nope , no help at all ... I hit it with Hot water , then some carmex... Nuthin... Hydracortizone ... Nuthin... still stingin like a MoFO .... Its been 5 Hours now.. and its still there , but not as intense..
so to all of you who have been hit By a Lions Maine ... I now know what it feels like ... and you are not alone in what you have felt .. i didnt think a jelly sting was that bad... But now i know what and how it feels like .. Dude ... id rather be kicked in the Junk , than get stung again ... the best part of this story we saw the Beast on dive 2 in the shallows ... and i filmed his demise...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kRt17Xr8pU[/youtube]
wolf 2.jpg
stubby 4.jpg
stubby 1.jpg
nudi 2.jpg
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Re: I got Hit HARD .... LMJ

Post by Rockfish »

Yep those jelly stings are a @#$^&!. I've been stung a few times but nothing as bad as what you are describing.

I've read that meat tenderizer is a good remedy.

Here is what the professional's say,

http://firstaid.webmd.com/jellyfish-stings-treatment

Hope it gets better.

By the way nice pic's!!!!!

Mike
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Yup ... feels kinda like kissing an electric fence. A few months back I got stung twice in the same day at Flagpole. First time was dropping down at the buoy ... top layer was very murky and I didn't even see the tentacles until they were draping across my mask. I thought it hurt at first ... but later on when we got out of the water I realized that once the air hits it, the sting feels even worse. Second dive I was scootering along with Kirk in pretty clear water. I looked to the side to see where Kirk was, and as soon as I turned my face forward again ... SPLAT ... a facefull of tentacles at 3 knots. Yowch!

BTW - there is something slightly worse. Couple weeks back I was at Redondo, getting ready to gear up over on South Beach. It was a lovely day, and there were kids building sand castles on the beach. As I reached down to pick up my tanks and clip them on I noticed a Lion's Mane floating in the shallows. Pointing it out to the kids I told them to avoid it, because they sting. Got my tanks clipped in, popped my left side reg in my mouth ... and realized that the jelly had been hovering right over my tanks ... only thing worse than kissing an electric fence is French kissing one ... :eek:

Oh, and Chris ... next time, try hot water rather than warm piss ... it's marginally helpful ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

I noticed the more I got stung the less it hurt.....
But then I decided to stop putting my face into the jellyfish tentacles which was a much better idea :)

When its on your skin scrapping it off with a credit card seems to help a bit.
Can't really do that when its inside your lips.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Post by sea2summit »

Got hit once...even had a female dive buddy offer to pee on my face. Seeing how that didn't help you I'm glad I turned her down.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

H20doctor wrote:Hmmm so now what ? Yep grab the cup i Pee'd in and give that lip a dash of Urine... Well it didnt do a dang thing ... NUTHIN ...
Um...am I the only one that caught this???
Great story but I want to hear more about this! lol
So was the cup a product of an earlier release of urine and just sitting there at the ready? Or did you decide that it is time to try this myth and produce a cup of urine???

Just for the record, urine does nothing to help jelly stings. The best thing to do is actually a salt water rinse. I have read that a fresh water rinse actually does more bad than good due to the change in balance of solutes. Urine actually can have the same effect and cause the nematocysts to continue to fire venom.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -urinating

So in essence it should be...
Vinager
Salt water

in that order...
Also the pain is something that has to be endured. All of the urine, saltwater, magic spells, and whatnot are intended to stop the nematocysts from firing anymore. It does nothing for the stings that you have already gotten, so generally its just time... I also got this from an article...

"Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) can be used for pain. Unfortunately, the only sure-fire treatment is time. "

I am just ribbin' ya buddy, as I imagine the stinging was bad enough to consider just about anything in order to get it to stop.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

H20doctor wrote:Hmmm so now what ? Yep grab the cup i Pee'd in and give that lip a dash of Urine... Well it didnt do a dang thing ... NUTHIN ...
Pics or it didn't happen.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

I was there with Doc last night. Brandon was there too. He claimed it was pee in a bottle. I never confirmed it, neither did Brandon. It was a great dive though.

Also, for the record, nobody ever played with his fins. We were properly spaced out. Hahaha! You did it to yourself Doc! I feel your pain Dude!

By the way, awesome pics!
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Madocyw
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

I got Hit HARD .... LMJ

Post by Madocyw »

I've been hit by a man'o'war in Hawaii while swimming, and raw papaya helped reduce the pain - papain is the enzyme in most meat tenderizer. topically, it's supposed to denature the proteins venom in nematocysts. Worked for me.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

coulterboy wrote:I was there with Doc last night. Brandon was there too. He claimed it was pee in a bottle. I never confirmed it, neither did Brandon. It was a great dive though.

Also, for the record, nobody ever played with his fins. We were properly spaced out. Hahaha! You did it to yourself Doc! I feel your pain Dude!

By the way, awesome pics!
Lies.. Lies.. Lies.. Good thing I had a spair air for you at 90 feet..NOT !!
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Haha one time I grabbed a LMJ and fed it to a Anemone on the beams, forgetting about it as I took off my mask and rubbed my eye.... :penelope:
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

mattwave wrote:Haha one time I grabbed a LMJ and fed it to a Anemone on the beams, forgetting about it as I took off my mask and rubbed my eye.... :penelope:
Ouch! I had a physical reaction just reading that.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
shaggie
Avid Diver

Post by shaggie »

Saw a DM (Pumba) in Cozumel get stung by a lion fish (I pointed it out to him). He rolled around at 90 ft holding his hand yelling into his reg. Kinda amusing when it isn't you : ) Not the first time this happend to him, he swears hot water does the trick.
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

I actually did grab his fins... I was hovering about 2 feet off the ground doing our stop, Doc decided to go right under me in a not so graceful fashion, so I thought it would be fun to get towed back in to shore. It did not work so well, so I let go. A few seconds later I see Doc speed off for a few seconds, then turn to me and with gigantic eyes point to his lip ( I thought it was his reg he was pointing to) So I am thinking he is OOA, but we are in 7 feet of water, so I really didn't know what his deal was! A few minutes later after we got out, he poured something that looked like mountain dew out of a old "non mountain dew can" on his face then he described the pain!!

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

2loud4u wrote:I actually did grab his fins... I was hovering about 2 feet off the ground doing our stop, Doc decided to go right under me in a not so graceful fashion, so I thought it would be fun to get towed back in to shore. It did not work so well, so I let go. A few seconds later I see Doc speed off for a few seconds, then turn to me and with gigantic eyes point to his lip ( I thought it was his reg he was pointing to) So I am thinking he is OOA, but we are in 7 feet of water, so I really didn't know what his deal was! A few minutes later after we got out, he poured something that looked like mountain dew out of a old "non mountain dew can" on his face then he described the pain!!

Brendan
Aaahhh! So it was you that grabbed his fins. Hahaha! I thought he was blaming me. I was behind both of you, and last thing I saw was the LMJ above me, and there was DOC hovering beside the LMJ with his face submerged just a foot from the LMJ. I was thinking, man he is really asking for it. Not knowing that it was after the fact that he'd been stung already.

I was stung by those suckers a few months ago at Sund Rock. Not to mention, my daughter was also stung by one on the same dive. So it was a father / daughter thing. When I got out of the water, a mane was still clinging to my face. It stung like hell. I poured vinegar into it. But just like Rick Norris said, it just alleviates the pain just a little bit. TIME is all you really got with them.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Pics or it didn't happen.

i show U video ... stoke :supz: .. didnt you and Pauli get smacked at the clay walls many a week ago.... Stroke :supz:
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Wow with that kind of description I am hoping to never get stung. However, is anyone gonna ask him how much he paid the assassin crab to take out the jelly? :neener:
Jeff Castor
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Piss all over your face... I don't even know where to begin.

I got stung by 2 Lionfish in the last week of diving. Don't even bother asking how in the hell it happened twice... sometimes it takes me a few times to learn my lesson.

I know your pain. That kinda stuff HURTS! and I'm the toughest guy I know. hahaha
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

:rofl: You put pee on your face! :rofl:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Yes.. I put pee on my face.. Im not denying it.. Bear grills drank his own stuff in the desrt, stored in a snakes dead skin.. Yuk
bmcsteve
Frequent Bubbler

Post by bmcsteve »

My wife is a jellyfish magnet.... if they are around, she will get stung. A couple years ago we were diving at Sund Rock and she got hit by a LMJ tentacle. Nothing worked to alleviate the pain, until we went to dinner at a Mexican restaurant and she had a big margarita with salt on the rim. Not sure if it was the tequila or the salt, but she said the stinging went away.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

bmcsteve wrote:My wife is a jellyfish magnet.... if they are around, she will get stung. A couple years ago we were diving at Sund Rock and she got hit by a LMJ tentacle. Nothing worked to alleviate the pain, until we went to dinner at a Mexican restaurant and she had a big margarita with salt on the rim. Not sure if it was the tequila or the salt, but she said the stinging went away.
Margaritas can take away A LOT of pain . . . :)
Kelly
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

got smacked scootering back to cove 2 awhile back. felt like a sandblaster hit my face. still had about 15 minutes to scooter back home on the trigger and then 10 minutes of deco which sucked.

hot water (thanks to yvonne) made it feel better for about 30 seconds... hurt for hours afterwards...
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

When I got stung at Sund Rock by a LMJ, the pain subsided after about 2 1/2 hour SI, but then came back, as I dropped in for a second dive. The pain didn't last as long, but I sure wasn't expecting it to come back like that.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: