the early bird ...

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

the early bird ...

Post by Grateful Diver »

I've always loved early morning dives. Getting in the water before dawn and watching as the water slowly turns lighter ... and watching the "shifts" change as the nocturnal critters turn in and the water slowly fills with the day creatures clocking in for a hard day of scavenging. I often do these kinds of dives when on vacation, but for some reason don't do them very often at home.

This morning was the exception. I got to Redondo at around 6 AM, parking over in front of the beach just north of Salty's. My destination was the eelgrass beds north of the beach ... in search of lumpsuckers.

It was a perfect morning. The tide was high, and there wasn't a breath of wind or surf. A soft moonlight reflection provided just enough light to make out the shapes of deadheads lying between me and my goal as I suited up and headed down to the water. There was nobody in sight as I put my fins on and slipped below the surface.

Almost immediately I was rewarded for my efforts, as I found a bay pipefish laying in some sea lettuce in less than 10 feet of water ...

Visibility wasn't as good as we've been experiencing lately ... perhaps 25-30 feet ... which is still excellent for lumpie hunting. I hit the eelgrass beds, made my way to the downslope edge, and slowly started kicking into a very mild current. About 5 minutes into the dive I was rewarded with my first sighting ... a fairly good size lumpie (maybe an inch long) sitting on a piece of eelgrass ... just waiting to have his picture taken.

Over the course of the dive I found maybe a dozen or so ... many full-grown and some that were downright tiny. For some reason I was having difficulties with the focus on my camera when attempting to use the macro lens ... but here's a sampling of the best of the many shots I took during the course of a 65-minute dive.

As dawn took over and ambient light got to the point where I could see without use of my light, the sightings decreased dramatically. However, massive schools of shiner perch literally filled the water above me. I ended my dive around 7:45 ... as the classes started gearing up for what promises to be a gorgeous day to be out diving.

It was so nice, I think I'll go back tomorrow morning and do it again ... :supz:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: the early bird ...

Post by cardiver »

If you don't mind, I'd like to meet you there so I can get my suit zipped.
My brand new Big Blue focus light flooded on me Thursday night but I'll make do.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

cardiver wrote:If you don't mind, I'd like to meet you there so I can get my suit zipped.
My brand new Big Blue focus light flooded on me Thursday night but I'll make do.
I was thinking about coming up early, maybe 7:00 but could be earlier. What time are you thinking?
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

gutholmj wrote:
cardiver wrote:If you don't mind, I'd like to meet you there so I can get my suit zipped.
I was thinking about coming up early, maybe 7:00 but could be earlier. What time are you thinking?
How about 630?
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

cardiver wrote:
gutholmj wrote:
How about 630?
See you then.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

gutholmj wrote:
cardiver wrote:
gutholmj wrote:
How about 630?
See you then.
Excellent!
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

If you guys want to see the lumpies you should be in the water by 6:30 ... once it starts getting daylight they disappeared.

I'll be down there at 6.

Ron, if you want to borrow a focus light, I can loan you my spare.

... Bob
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Grateful Diver wrote:If you guys want to see the lumpies you should be in the water by 6:30 ... once it starts getting daylight they disappeared.

I'll be down there at 6.

Ron, if you want to borrow a focus light, I can loan you my spare.

... Bob
Thanks, Bob! I have to ship mine to Hong Kong on Monday. It really ticks me off that B & H won't handle the warranty issue for me.....
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Some really cute shots in there Bob! so glad to hear the little guys have returned and in good numbers! :joshsmith:

So tempting but getting up at 4am :eek:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

cardiver wrote: Thanks, Bob! I have to ship mine to Hong Kong on Monday. It really ticks me off that B & H won't handle the warranty issue for me.....
Didn't you say it's Big Blue? If so, forget B&H ... deal directly with Tim Ratcliffe. He's in Clearwater, FL. I can give you his contact info (phone & email) if you like.

I'll be there tomorrow at 6 AM ...

... Bob (GratefuL Diver)

gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Grateful Diver wrote:
cardiver wrote: Thanks, Bob! I have to ship mine to Hong Kong on Monday. It really ticks me off that B & H won't handle the warranty issue for me.....
Didn't you say it's Big Blue? If so, forget B&H ... deal directly with Tim Ratcliffe. He's in Clearwater, FL. I can give you his contact info (phone & email) if you like.

... Bob (GratefuL Diver)
I was going to say the same. Their contact info is on their web site. Bigblue's customer service is first rate. B&H also has a good customer service reputation so it's disappointing to hear that they are not being more helpful.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

gutholmj wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:

... Bob (GratefuL Diver)
I was going to say the same. Their contact info is on their web site. Bigblue's customer service is first rate. B&H also has a good customer service reputation so it's disappointing to hear that they are not being more helpful.
I found the info and sent Tim an e mail.
See you guys at 0600! I guess I better set my alarm for 0430 now.......
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

cardiver wrote:
gutholmj wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:

... Bob (GratefuL Diver)

It's 0600 now? Ok, I'll be there by 6.

Now what was this thread about?
Nice pics Bob. :)
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

gutholmj wrote:
cardiver wrote:
gutholmj wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:

... Bob (GratefuL Diver)

It's 0600 now? Ok, I'll be there by 6.

Now what was this thread about?
Nice pics Bob. :)
I sent you a text a few hours ago......
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Sorry for the thread hijack, Bob. Tim has already replied to my e mail and was also curious as to why B & H would direct me to corporate HQ in Hong Kong. He will be sending me an RA in the morning.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm not sure there is anything in the water anywhere more winsome and charming than a PSL. Great photos, Bob!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Wonder where these little guys go when the sun comes up?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Here's a few more from this morning's dive ... hopefully Ron and James will be along with some of their shots shortly ...

As we were ending the dive, this guy swam by ...

... that's all folks ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Dusty2 wrote:Wonder where these little guys go when the sun comes up?
I think that they're vampires. They go to bed when the sun comes up and even when they're out and about they are so hard to get a clear picture of!
I had a horrible time trying to focus this morning......
Attachments
PA301251.jpg
PA301238.JPG
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Grateful Diver wrote:Here's a few more from this morning's dive ... hopefully Ron and James will be along with some of their shots shortly ...

As we were ending the dive, this guy swam by ...

... that's all folks ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I could not get my focus to lock on anything, Bob. My strobe was going nuts also. Almost all of my shots are over exposed and I was shooting ttl....
You got some excellent pics!
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Aggravating, Ron ... I had similar issues yesterday. And some today as well ... I took about a dozen shots of those tiny little nudis like you got, and not one of them was in focus ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Grateful Diver wrote:Aggravating, Ron ... I had similar issues yesterday. And some today as well ... I took about a dozen shots of those tiny little nudis like you got, and not one of them was in focus ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Thanks again for loaning me the light, Bob. When I got home I put four, fully charged Duracells in it and it made a huge difference!
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Bob that last shot is EPIC!!!!!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

lundysd wrote:Bob that last shot is EPIC!!!!!
It almost looks like a painting, Bob. :supz:
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Great shots on the gunnel Bob, The depth of field is awesome.

Isn't it infuriating when you get an opportunity at something awesome and the camera just won't focus on the subject or the strobe keeps blowing out the shot! I've lost some pretty great shots like that. :angry:

First thing to check with the canon for focus problems is the zoom. If it's even slightly off of zero they just won't focus. Also use center spot focus.