Sitka AK November 2011

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Sitka AK November 2011

Post by Tom Nic »

archaeofish wrote: There aren't a lot of people diving out of Gustavus right now, but the new ferry access will definitely make it easier to get tanks out there. Having fished extensively around Icy Straits, I am sure there are some great dive sites that would be accessible from Gustavus. If anyone is interested in visiting this area feel free to contact me and I can help put you in touch with some good boat operators.
:boucegreen:

I should be going up this summer.

Do you know anyone taking divers out?

There are a ton of fishing charters, and I met one guy who dove commercially, but that was it.

It is one of my dreams to regularly dive the Gustavus area from our cabin up there.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I think even the guy who dove commercially is/has moved on. Generally speaking in SE, there is way too much money in charter fishing to dedicate a boat to diving where there is very little demand. We used to get lots of emails from divers wanting to dive. Most of them were inexperienced and single. Rarely did I ever have a group wanting a charter and singles just don't bring in enough $$$ to justify the time.

I've had a lot of charter operators offer to make their boats available for diving as long as they made the same $2K or more they would have made fishing. Hard to find six divers wanting to Pay $300 ea to make a couple dives. Plus at that rate there's no money for the DM.
Dave Mitchell
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

archaeofish wrote: I am sure there are some great dive sites that would be accessible from Gustavus. If anyone is interested in visiting this area feel free to contact me and I can help put you in touch with some good boat operators.
Interested? :eek: More like Excited! :taco:

Gustavus is also on my Bucket list for a dive destination! :pirate:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Another one.... :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Attachments
IMG_7008.JPG
On her side
On her side
Oil on the surface
Oil on the surface
New boat 4 sale
New boat 4 sale
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Post by archaeofish »

Tom Nic wrote:
archaeofish wrote: There aren't a lot of people diving out of Gustavus right now, but the new ferry access will definitely make it easier to get tanks out there. Having fished extensively around Icy Straits, I am sure there are some great dive sites that would be accessible from Gustavus. If anyone is interested in visiting this area feel free to contact me and I can help put you in touch with some good boat operators.
:boucegreen:

I should be going up this summer.

Do you know anyone taking divers out?

There are a ton of fishing charters, and I met one guy who dove commercially, but that was it.

It is one of my dreams to regularly dive the Gustavus area from our cabin up there.
I know there are a few former commercial fishermen and former charter fishing captains who are exploring new niches for guided tours and services. One of my neighbors, who used to dive, started a water ferry and guide service and he might be open taking out divers: http://www.douglasogilvy.com/

In Hoonah, there is another operator who has a boat that could also be diver friendly: http://www.visithoonah.com/fishes/

Both of these guys are former commercial fishermen who really know the local areas around Icy Straits and they could be great guides for local diving.

Ross
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Both of those would be great.

Where you going to get tanks? Far as I know, there are only couple guys in Hoonah with personal compressors and maybe the one guy in Gustavus.

I run my boat out there several times a year to fish and camp, but rarely to dive since it's ~60 miles and all that dive crap takes up too much space.
Dave Mitchell
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dmitchell & Archaeofish - great responses, and much appreciated.

I've spoken with both of you about my long term goal to dive out of our property in Gustavus. The hope is that we (my extended family) will be heading up this Summer to work on our cabin. We have procured a vehicle that should do the trick for up there, and we will be looking for a boat & trailer that we can send up there (or purchase locally and sail over).

I'm the only diver in my family, and this is a shoestring (i.e. not much money) operation, so my hope is A. Get things functional B. Help lobby for a boat that can at least handle 2 or 3 divers. The boat will be for fishing day trips and a bit of sight seeing, but you KNOW I am thinking primarily diving!

When A & B are secured, plan C. is to acquire & ship up a small compressor and begin to accumulate a stable of low pressure steel tanks to use. Between Bassman, myself, and other interested NWDC crazies the idea of diving the waters up there may not be too far fetched or far off. Our cabin (rustic though it is) will easily handle a half dozen folks with room to spare.

My Dad began taking us up to Gustavus in the early 80's, and I have photo albums full of memories of laughter, roughing it, fishing for King, Silver, & Pink salmon, wrestling halibut bigger than I am, reeling up the occasional "Ugly" while fishing for said halibut (which I now know as Red Irish Lords and would NEVER call "ugly"!), and marveling at the Humpbacks & Orca in Icy Straights. It is an amazing area, and I am richer for having experienced it.

Of course, that was all pre-scuba. Now I remember the waters I fished for years and "see" reefs & rock structure, plunging vertical walls, and fantasize about the amazing underwater life that I KNOW is there! I remember trolling for salmon off Pt. Adolphus, being maybe 50' off shore and being in over 300' of water. Can you say "amazing wall"?!?

Anyway, I better stop as I'm drooling all over my keyboard.

I may contact the folks you mentioned while we're up there working on our cabin. If we can get tanks & fills we might see if it would be worth their while to take us out for a day or two diving.

Keeping my fingers crossed and dreaming about the future.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dmitchell wrote:I run my boat out there several times a year to fish and camp, but rarely to dive since it's ~60 miles and all that dive crap takes up too much space.
DAVE - say it isn't so?!? #-o

Priorities, man, priorities! You just need to get them straightened out! :pirate: :mermaid: :snorkel:
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Yea, the priority is always to fill the freezer! We have a "Chicken Hole" out by Hoonah that provides 20-40lb halibut all day long! Last trip my 2 boys and I caught 21 fish - only kept our limit! but it was quite the day.

Maybe this coming summer, we'll make some trips out there to dive, My wife's family has a place in Tenakee and we've done a little diving over there and it is phenomenal!

Let me know when you start to put things together, You never know what I might have laying around.
Dave Mitchell
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dmitchell wrote:Yea, the priority is always to fill the freezer! We have a "Chicken Hole" out by Hoonah that provides 20-40lb halibut all day long! Last trip my 2 boys and I caught 21 fish - only kept our limit! but it was quite the day.

Maybe this coming summer, we'll make some trips out there to dive, My wife's family has a place in Tenakee and we've done a little diving over there and it is phenomenal!

Let me know when you start to put things together, You never know what I might have laying around.
Appreciate that very much Dave. I'll keep you in the loop as thing unfold.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

For Sale
Attachments
IMG_7130.JPG
Cheap....
Cheap....
Best offer
Best offer
Pumping
Pumping
6k (OBO)
6k (OBO)
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Whoo hoo? That will pay for a nice dinner in Sitka huh? :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Another 1
Attachments
IMG_7164.JPG
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I hate to profit from other folks misfortune but November has been keeping you busy with salvage work. All these boats in addition to the Brusco tug the day I flew out.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

And the hits just just keeps on coming........Nothing like winter dive work....Pays good though.... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Attachments
IMG_7166.JPG
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Dude, Where is my boat???!!!
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Right down there dude
renoun wrote:Dude, Where is my boat???!!!
:pirate: :pirate:
Attachments
IMG_7165.JPG
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska